Old August 16th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default High Street Kensington Station

In message , at 15:30:17 on Mon, 16
Aug 2004, "Alan (in Brussels)"
remarked:
No 'Central something' stations (not even a 'Central Park' somewhere?),

New York! "Central Park North (110st)" on the 2,3 (Red) line.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Old August 16th 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

No 'Central something' stations (not even a 'Central Park'
somewhere?), but plenty of 'Central something' thoroughfares:
according to eg p. 293 (index) of the 2000 OS/Philips London Street
atlas there are 5 cases of 'Central Avenue' in different postal
districts and another 7 in named boroughs. Also a similar frequency
of 'Central Parade' as well as a sprinking of the usual other types:
Ct., Gdns., Rd., St., Way...

And that perhaps provides an alternative way of answering the OP's
question: the rule for street names in English is that the local
identification (if any) always precedes the type of throroughfare.
Perhaps one day a new station will take its name from the adjacent
existing street, and then we'll see which rules apply.

Hmmm, which could have resulted in Queen's Drive East (instead of West
Acton) and Queen's Drive West (instead of North Ealing). :-)

Old August 16th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan":
No 'Central something' stations (not even a 'Central Park' somewhere?),

Roland Perry:
New York! "Central Park North (110st)" on the 2,3 (Red) line.

That is, by the way, a street name. Central Park is bounded by what,
in terms of the street grid, are 59th and 110th Streets and 5th and
8th Avenues; but the sections of 59th, 8th, and 110th that are adjacent
to the park are instead called Central Park South, West, and North
respectively. 5th Avenue keeps its name, though.
--
Mark Brader "Eventually, of course, I fell into the trap of
Toronto becoming comfortable with find(1)'s syntax..."

Old August 16th 04, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:24:32 on Mon, 16
Aug 2004, Mark Brader remarked:
New York! "Central Park North (110st)" on the 2,3 (Red) line.

That is, by the way, a street name.

As is High St Kensington. What an excellent symmetry.
Old August 16th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

And that perhaps provides an alternative way of answering
the OP's question: the rule for street names in English is
that the local identification (if
any) always precedes the type of throroughfare.

.... except that there is a road called High Street Harlesden. This was in
Middlesex, not London, until the 1960s.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old August 16th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:24:32 on Mon, 16
Aug 2004, Mark Brader remarked:

New York! "Central Park North (110st)" on the 2,3 (Red) line.

That is, by the way, a street name.

As is High St Kensington. What an excellent symmetry.

I thought the point was that High St Kensington is not a street name but
Kensington High Street is... :-)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 16th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 16 Aug 2004:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:05:00 +0100, Peter Beale wrote:

Just been reading John Simpson's autobiography - he refers to an Iraqi at
a dinner-party seeking to pretend he knows all about England (though he
thinks Suffolk = Sussex).

I doubt the average American, or ecen European, has heard of Suffolk or
Sussex. I'd wager a good number of Brits confuse them.

We have just had American guests who confused them..... we had planned
to take them to Sussex, but it didn't happen.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 16th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Mark Brader) wrote in message ...
(There is one other Suffolk County, which includes the city of Boston,
Massachusetts, but the only places that are within 100 miles of it
and Sussex County NJ are also within the area described above. There
are two other Sussex Counties; one forms the southern 1/3 of Delaware and
the other is in southeastern Virginia, a rural district south of Peters-
burg. Neither of these is near enough to a Suffolk county to matter.)

Actually, the 100 mile radius of the Delaware Sussex County does
intersect the 100 mile radius of the Long Island Suffolk County. See

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=&...avy&MAP-STYLE=

However, it looks like the only area in which these intersections do
not also intersect the radius of Sussex County, NJ is in the Atlantic
(with possibly a tiny nick of land near Atlantic City)

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=&...MAP-STYLE=topo

OK. I'm officially a geek.

ObLT: wasn't it somewhere near there that they dumped the excess NY
subway cars? (Well, OK, that isn't utl but we seem to have been
talking about the subway a lot... )
Old August 16th 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
:

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in
message ...

And that perhaps provides an alternative way of answering
the OP's question: the rule for street names in English is
that the local identification (if
any) always precedes the type of throroughfare.

... except that there is a road called High Street Harlesden. This
was in Middlesex, not London, until the 1960s.

And in my part of the world we have High Road Leyton, High Road
Leytonstone and High Road Woodford Green. Maybe it's an old south west
Essex custom ... ?

Iain
Old August 17th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

I've seen a lot of street signs in North London that say
something like "Smith St N" instead of "Smith St N1".

http://www.wikisearch.net/en/wikiped..._district.html

Thanks!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped