Old August 15th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't run Announcements

We seem to be getting announcements every ten minutes
on the tube advising us to take water with us and not to
travel while unwell. It's amazing we've survived the last
100 years on the Tube going to work without 2 litres of
Perrier :-) Sensible announcement, or complete ******** ?

My main point though is how about announcing the dangers
of running on the underground ? At least once a year I get
some kid (usually about 19 and wearing a track suit) do the
rush goalie bit, trying to get on the Piccadilly line at Kings X.

Now I'm built like the proverbial outhouse and have more than
my fair share of inertia. So the usual result is that the kid hits
me, gets badly winded and ends up going back 2 feet in the
direction they came from. This happened Friday, and he was
apologising profusely in between fighting for breath.

I did what I usually do. Make sure he's OK and tell him the
error of running on the underground. "If I had been a little old
lady, I'd be on the way to intensive care" I say. But it shouldn't
be me telling him this. It should be the announcers on the
underground !

So come on guys, less ******** about water, and more about
real problems !!
--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old August 15th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Edward
Cowling writes
snipped

So come on guys, less ******** about water, and more about
real problems !!

I often make announcements about running across the platforms especially
when they may be slippery and walking too near the edge; it's all part
of managing the PTI
However, I wonder how many people actually take any notice.
--
Kat

Old August 15th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote:
In message ,
Edward Cowling writes
snipped

So come on guys, less ******** about water, and more about
real problems !!

I often make announcements about running across the platforms
especially when they may be slippery and walking too near the edge;
it's all part of managing the PTI
However, I wonder how many people actually take any notice.

It would help if more were audible, which they aren't at many stations,
though the new systems are much better, e.g. Earl's Court.

But the main reason why people don't take any notice IMHO is because
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good
service on all lines don't leave any items unattended no smoking
anywhere on the underground let customers off the train first mind the
gap drink lots of water good service on all lines use all available
doors move right down inside the car this train is ready to depart
please stand well clear of the closing doors mind the doors good service
on all lines ...

--
Richard J.

Old August 15th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good
service on all lines

LOL That's a good one!
--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old August 15th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote in
.uk:

We seem to be getting announcements every ten minutes
on the tube advising us to take water with us and not to
travel while unwell. It's amazing we've survived the last
100 years on the Tube going to work without 2 litres of
Perrier :-) Sensible announcement, or complete ******** ?

They could always install speed cameras.

Old August 15th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling wrote:
My main point though is how about announcing the dangers
of running on the underground ?

No running, no diving, no petting, no pushing

Old August 15th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kat" wrote in message

So come on guys, less ******** about water, and more about
real problems !!

I often make announcements about running across the platforms especially
when they may be slippery and walking too near the edge; it's all part
of managing the PTI
However, I wonder how many people actually take any notice.

Sadly I think you're right. I just think the elderly and infirm
must have a hell of a time of it on the underground these days.

I remember seeing "Take care while you're rushing about" posters
a few years back, but nothing lately.

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old August 15th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
But the main reason why people don't take any notice IMHO is because
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good

"Services on the Victoria line are normal" is my own
favourite. It either means the service is so bad normally
that a decent service requires an announcement, or that
normal service is the long waits we're all used to :-)

The worst though is the North London Line, or Silverlink
as they laughingly call it. Every late train is announced with
an apology..... and most days that's a very long list. I can
see someone taking an axe to the speakers pretty soon.

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old August 15th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
Edward Cowling wrote:
My main point though is how about announcing the dangers
of running on the underground ?

No running, no diving, no petting, no pushing

No Petting !! We're need some perks for travelling
on the tube. I love the advert for the London Dungeon
that goes "How would you like to be crowded in
a small area in the dark, with no idea where you're
going"...... Hey I travel on the Victoria line, every
day is like that :-)

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old August 15th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
.uk...

"Richard J." wrote in message
But the main reason why people don't take any notice IMHO is because
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good

"Services on the Victoria line are normal" is my own
favourite. It either means the service is so bad normally
that a decent service requires an announcement, or that
normal service is the long waits we're all used to :-)

The worst though is the North London Line, or Silverlink
as they laughingly call it. Every late train is announced with
an apology..... and most days that's a very long list. I can
see someone taking an axe to the speakers pretty soon.

Aren't trains always 15 minutes apart? In which case a train running 15
minutes late is unnoticable.