Old August 15th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Don't run Announcements

"Kat" wrote in message

I often make announcements

Not you who tells us there is a good service running on xxxxx line and when
one gets to platform level you find there isn't a train due for 14 minutes I
hope. ;-)

(Last happened to me at Charing Cross Northern Line about 2pm 10 August
2004.)
--
Malcolm

Old August 15th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
.uk...

"Richard J." wrote in message

But the main reason why people don't take any notice IMHO is because
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good

"Services on the Victoria line are normal" is my own
favourite. It either means the service is so bad normally
that a decent service requires an announcement, or that
normal service is the long waits we're all used to :-)

The worst though is the North London Line, or Silverlink
as they laughingly call it. Every late train is announced with
an apology..... and most days that's a very long list. I can
see someone taking an axe to the speakers pretty soon.

Aren't trains always 15 minutes apart? In which case a train running 15
minutes late is unnoticable.

Not on Sundays, when I last used the NLL... about 10 mins late one way
and cancelled the other way.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 16th 04, 07:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote ...

I just think the elderly and infirm
must have a hell of a time of it on the underground these days.

On the buses too.

There is so much concentration on making life easier for wheelchair users,
that the elderly and infirm who are still able to walk with difficulty have
been almost completely sidelined with very high steps within buses up to the
narrow seating areas.

Just one or two seats low down marked for their use and far too many people
in need of them.

(not just in London - all over)

Old August 16th 04, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" typed

On the buses too.

There is so much concentration on making life easier for wheelchair users,
that the elderly and infirm who are still able to walk with difficulty have
been almost completely sidelined with very high steps within buses up to the
narrow seating areas.

Just one or two seats low down marked for their use and far too many people
in need of them.

Too true! The few useful seats there available are frequently occupied
by people who could *easily* go elsewhere, but I have to ask them for a
seat, most embarrassing!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 16th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:03:24 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

But the main reason why people don't take any notice IMHO is because
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good
service on all lines don't leave any items unattended no smoking
anywhere on the underground let customers off the train first mind the
gap drink lots of water good service on all lines use all available
doors move right down inside the car this train is ready to depart
please stand well clear of the closing doors mind the doors good service
on all lines ...

I'll probably get sacked for saying it but I agree.

I absolutely hate the incessant broadcasting of messages. I change at
Kings Cross and if I need to wait for a Piccadilly Line for more than 30
seconds I can guarantee to have heard the same messages at least 3 times
during my connection.

I also feel like screaming when "good service" is repeatedly announced
and it is obvious that there hasn't been a train for 5 minutes and the
indicator is saying "next train 8 minutes". We (LUL) really have an
enormous amount to learn in order to get messages correct and in context
all of the time. I'm afraid I also have the cynical reaction of the
original poster to "The Victoria Line is working normally" announcement
- proves I'm human I suppose.

I do like the line based notice boards as you enter through the ticket
gates that allows you to very quickly assess what is going well and what
isn't. Most stations do well in keeping those up to date IME.
--
Paul C

Old August 16th 04, 05:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I absolutely hate the incessant broadcasting of messages. I change at
Kings Cross and if I need to wait for a Piccadilly Line for more than 30
seconds I can guarantee to have heard the same messages at least 3 times
during my connection.

Try using Baker St first thing in the morning or after about mid-evening.
No announcements whatsoever, so as not to annoy the poor little delicate
sausages who live near by.

I can see the point of view of those who've been living there since before
the station was built, but the rest of 'em can bloody lump it. If they
don't want station sound effects, they shouldn't have moved next to a
station.

Grrr.
Old August 16th 04, 05:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote to uk.transport.london on Mon, 16 Aug 2004:

Just one or two seats low down marked for their use and far too many people
in need of them.

Too true! The few useful seats there available are frequently occupied
by people who could *easily* go elsewhere, but I have to ask them for a
seat, most embarrassing!

I've noticed, though, that most people will happily get up if they are
in a priority seat and someone else needs it. And I've seen someone get
up and the person they got up for firmly refuse their offer...

I have now reached the age when people will occasionally stand up for me
in the Underground - I don't know whether to be flattered or wonder if I
really look *that* old!
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 16th 04, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

[...]

I fully agree about the boards by the ticket barriers - most useful and
almost always up to date. There is a commitment amongst front line staff
to try and improve things and the announcements do help but there is an
American or Canadian lady SA at Baker Street who gives out constant
messages by bellowing into the platform mic - it's just too much!!
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old August 16th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

But the main reason why people don't take any notice IMHO is because
there are just too many announcements. It's a continual stream: good
service on all lines don't leave any items unattended no smoking
anywhere on the underground let customers off the train first mind the
gap drink lots of water good service on all lines use all available
doors move right down inside the car this train is ready to depart
please stand well clear of the closing doors mind the doors good service
on all lines ...

I'll probably get sacked for saying it but I agree.

I absolutely hate the incessant broadcasting of messages. I change at
Kings Cross and if I need to wait for a Piccadilly Line for more than 30
seconds I can guarantee to have heard the same messages at least 3 times
during my connection.

Can you pass on those comments to the Quality Service Information team
please as it appears they only seem to hear them 30% of the time on a 15
minute survey please?

I also feel like screaming when "good service" is repeatedly announced
and it is obvious that there hasn't been a train for 5 minutes and the
indicator is saying "next train 8 minutes". We (LUL) really have an
enormous amount to learn in order to get messages correct and in context
all of the time. I'm afraid I also have the cynical reaction of the
original poster to "The Victoria Line is working normally" announcement
- proves I'm human I suppose.

I doubt if those who work on stations and are being told to put out these
messages need to learn much. Marketing and Publicity comissioned a survey of
'customers' and the results of what they wanted are being heard every 30
seconds! The "Good [whatever time of day] ladies and gentlemen" was added by
senior management as it's seen as polite, especially in the US. I hope
nobody is saying there is a 'normal service', it's a 'good service'! I do
like the National Rail 'perturbed service' for disruptions though!

I do like the line based notice boards as you enter through the ticket
gates that allows you to very quickly assess what is going well and what
isn't. Most stations do well in keeping those up to date IME.

Known as "Howard's boards" after a certain director...

Old August 16th 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Annabel Smyth wrote:
I have now reached the age when people will occasionally stand up for me
in the Underground - I don't know whether to be flattered or wonder if I
really look *that* old!

Post a link to a picture, and we'll run a poll.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.