Old August 30th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Left Luggage or Luggit

Having recently experienced the delights of having to shell out over £5 PER
ITEM in the snazzy new(ish) left luggage "Facility" in Liverpool St I am
keen to learn if any of the Old style (ie cheap) traditional left-luggage
lockers are still available in the London area.
It appears to me that Liverpool St is a franchised operation and places much
emphasis on Security as a raison d`etre for its existence.
What a pity that this "Security" stuff is such an easy and glib reason to
give for plain old profiteering..

Old August 30th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:54:06 on Mon, 30 Aug
2004, Alek remarked:
Having recently experienced the delights of having to shell out over £5 PER
ITEM in the snazzy new(ish) left luggage "Facility" in Liverpool St I am
keen to learn if any of the Old style (ie cheap) traditional left-luggage
lockers are still available in the London area.

I've not seen any in London for years, and the ones at Cambridge station
expired over six years ago (just as I needed to use one). They are still
around further out in the provinces, though.
Old August 31st 04, 02:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alek" wrote in message
Having recently experienced the delights of having to shell out over £5

PER
ITEM in the snazzy new(ish) left luggage "Facility" in Liverpool St I am
keen to learn if any of the Old style (ie cheap) traditional left-luggage
lockers are still available in the London area.
It appears to me that Liverpool St is a franchised operation and places

much
emphasis on Security as a raison d`etre for its existence.
What a pity that this "Security" stuff is such an easy and glib reason to
give for plain old profiteering..

I'm inclined to agree: in this brave new world, anything can be "justified"
if you say that's it's either "for security reasons" or "for health and
safety reasons" :-(

Old August 31st 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:46:28 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

I'm inclined to agree: in this brave new world, anything can be "justified"
if you say that's it's either "for security reasons" or "for health and
safety reasons" :-(

Sometimes, but the reason for removing the London left luggage folders
wasn't some theoretical threat - they really were blowing up and
killing people.
Old August 31st 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:54:06 +0100, "Alek" wrote:

Having recently experienced the delights of having to shell out over £5 PER
ITEM in the snazzy new(ish) left luggage "Facility" in Liverpool St I am
keen to learn if any of the Old style (ie cheap) traditional left-luggage
lockers are still available in the London area.
It appears to me that Liverpool St is a franchised operation and places much
emphasis on Security as a raison d`etre for its existence.
What a pity that this "Security" stuff is such an easy and glib reason to
give for plain old profiteering..

We used the left luggage area in Kingscross recently - second time
we've used it. We were told on our first visit that if we put it all
in one bag then we'd be only charged one fee. So a few of us put them
all in a rubbish sack, kindly donated from the cleaners in KCS. Might
be worth considering doing if they allow this?
(mind you took a few mins to register that i'd packed an electric
toothbrush when they were trying to check was was in there. Couldn't
for the life of me remember, despite packing it a few hours earlier)
Doh!