Old October 10th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

Nick Cooper wrote:
Please justify use of phrase "pet hate".

Your comments were an irrelevant tangent to the discussion.

d.

Old October 10th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Monkey Hanger wrote:
(Nick Cooper) wrote in
:

snip

Alternatively, who can I complain to about all the ****s on bikes
who think that red lights - particularly those at pedestrian
crossing - somehow don't count for them?

You could try the police?

Especially annoying are the ones who think they're entitled to
shout
abuse at the pedestrians they have to swerve round them because
they're already half way across the road. Funny, that, isn't it?
Pedestrians having the temerity to cross a road when the lights
are in their favour, just because to knobend-in-lycra is too
impatient to obey the red and
wait a few seconds.

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that
uk.rec.cycling exists to defend these idiots. It doesn't. Most
cyclists on this group deplore that kind of behaviour.

Maybe some of the denizens of uk.transport.london could comment on
whether or not they think this behaviour is defensible?

One point that came out of the previous discussion on this thread (which
I thought had quietly died) was the distinction between real cyclists
and the Persons on Bikes (POBs) who give cycling a bad name. I found it
encouraging that uk.rec.cycling denizens made that distinction. I think
most people on u.t.l would agree that the crass behaviour that Nick
Cooper described is not defensible.
--
Richard J.

Old October 10th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:49:16 +0100, Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk wrote:

Nick Cooper opined the
following...
I don't recall putting the sort of cyclist I was complaining about
into any particular age bracket. In fact, my own observations tell me
that the most "serious"-looking of cyclists are - if anything - worse.

Define "serious"-looking! The ones I see tend to be yoofs on cheap full-
sus MTBs, and cycle couriers (Who are basically trying to shorten their
lifespan!).

So that excuses crap cyclists, does it?

No. But it does make for an interesting comparison. A crap cyclist is
liable to end up dead and probably scratch someone's paintwork. A crap
car driver is liable to end up killing someone. A crap bus driver (Or
driver of similarly sized vehicle) is liable to kill a great many people
and cause vast amounts of damage.

Yeah, well having seen speeding cyclists jumping reds at crossings and
coming within a hair's bredth of sending OAPs flying, I'll reserve
judgement on that one.

It's all about proportion.

Indeed. Whinging cyclists should be aware that not all of their
bretheren are white-clad angels-on-wheels.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old October 11th 04, 02:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

Alternatively, who can I complain to about all the ****s on bikes who
think that red lights - particularly those at pedestrian crossing -
somehow don't count for them? Especially annoying are the ones who
think they're entitled to shout abuse at the pedestrians they have to
swerve round them because they're already half way across the road.
Funny, that, isn't it? Pedestrians having the temerity to cross a
road when the lights are in their favour, just because to
knobend-in-lycra is too impatient to obey the red and wait a few
seconds.

A few months ago I saw what this can lead to. A lycra clad cyclist went
flying around the roundabout at Trafalgar Square at a good 30mph, and turned
down Whitehall going straight through the red light, and straight into a
woman crossing the road.

Old October 11th 04, 02:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:41:27 GMT,
Alternatively you could consider to what extent the relative
seriousness of your pet hate and the homicidal bus driver might be

"Homicidal bus driver"???? All he did was block a cycle lane!

Old October 11th 04, 04:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Nick Cooper wrote:

Yeah, well having seen speeding cyclists jumping reds at crossings and
coming within a hair's bredth of sending OAPs flying, I'll reserve
judgement on that one.

As has been said here before, very few here would condone that sort of
behaviour irrespective of the fact that your over dramatic description
seems to lead to very very few accidents and injuries every year

Indeed. Whinging cyclists should be aware that not all of their
bretheren are white-clad angels-on-wheels.

Were you making a point or just wanting an excuse for an attack?

Tony
Old October 11th 04, 04:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Spicknspan wrote:

A few months ago I saw what this can lead to. A lycra clad cyclist went
flying around the roundabout at Trafalgar Square at a good 30mph, and turned
down Whitehall going straight through the red light, and straight into a
woman crossing the road.

It doesn't excuse bad behaviour like that but its interesting you have
to delve back several months to come up with an example, which, knowing
the complex junction to turn into Whitehall from Trafalgar Sq is rather
improbable. I am sure the London cycling contingent can give you daily
examples of cyclists becoming the victims of bad driving and pedestrians
stepping out without looking.

FWIW 30mph seems to be the norm for all traffic round other parts of
Trafalgar square when it gets the opportunity.

Tony

Oyster Complaint John[_3_] London Transport 1 March 9th 09 05:12 PM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? David FitzGerald London Transport 34 September 15th 04 06:50 AM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? [email protected] London Transport 0 September 11th 04 04:45 PM
OYbike Paul Weaver London Transport 2 June 29th 04 06:32 PM
Bus driver training? Redonda London Transport 19 February 22nd 04 04:54 PM