Old September 1st 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Default Bus driver complaint and OYBike

"dwb" wrote in message
Paul Weaver wrote:
Helen Mayhew
"dwb" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 19:25:27 on Wed, 1 Sep
2004, dwb remarked:
I'm a bit confused, what exactly was the bus doing wrong?

Sounds like it was stopped in a mandatory bike lane. A very common
offence.

Aren't bike lanes also frequently bus lanes?

Not in this case.

Was there somewhere else for the bus to be? Sounds like you had the
pavement - what did the bus have?

No, I didn't have the pavement. Unlike the majority of cyclists I obey the
rules of the road and ride on the road, not the pavement - the domain of
pedestrians.

The bus could have stayed on his part of the highway, same as evrey car and
lorry I passed. If it was too wide to fit (it wasn't), then it shouldn't
have been driving down that road.
--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old September 1st 04, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Solar Penguin" wrote in message

--- "Paul Weaver" wrote...

a double decker bus was blocking the lane.

A bus in a bus lane!?! No!!! What is the world coming to!?!

IT WAS A CYCLE LANE, NOT A BUS LANE

Old September 1st 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then,

just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround

the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside

of
the traffic facing those vehicles.....

It is not very clear what the problem is here. Was the bike/bus lane the
only lane in the direction you were travelling (ie a contra flow bike

lane)?

The bike lane was in the direction I was traveling. There is no bus lane.

Old September 1st 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

In message , at 20:14:03 on
Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Simonb
remarked:
a mandatory bike lane

An what?

A bike lane marked by a solid white line, that motorised vehicles are
banned from entering. Unlike a one with dashed lines, where they can if
necessary to avoid another vehicle.
Old September 1st 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Paul Weaver wrote:
Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at
18:20 this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no
problem, then, just south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking
the lane.

A mandatory cycle-only lane, according to a later post of yours.

I peers arround the right but there was no way I was
going to chance riding on the outside of the traffic facing those
vehicles.

Facing what vehicles? Isn't Wood Lane a two-way road? So if the bus is
parked across the cycle lane, isn't there still room between it and the
centre line?

Had to get off and walk past the bus on the pavement. The
bus was a 220, W reg, possibly W9#XXX. When confronted his response
was "**** you".

What does "when confronted" mean? I assume you didn't enquire politely
why he was parked in the cycle lane, for which he might have had a
plausible excuse (e.g. breakdown). What exactly did you say?

Who can I complain to to ensure he loses his job,
or at the bery least is forced to ride a bike for 50 miles arround
London.

So you want to sack someone who returned your rudeness just because you
had to walk past a bus on the pavement. Grow up.

--
Richard J.

Old September 1st 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message

Who can I complain to to ensure he loses
his job, or at the bery least is forced to ride
a bike for 50 miles arround London.

Anyone who drives a car will be delayed on a regular basis by cyclists. This
time the cyclist was delayed by the motor vehicle. It happens. Get over it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 1st 04, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Paul Weaver wrote:

Riding my rather groovy OYbike (details to follow) up wood lane at 18:20
this evening, passed dozens of cars, vans, lorries, no problem, then, just
south of TVC, a double decker bus was blocking the lane. I peers arround the
right but there was no way I was going to chance riding on the outside of
the traffic facing those vehicles. Had to get off and walk past the bus on
the pavement. The bus was a 220, W reg, possibly W9#XXX. When confronted his
response was "**** you". Who can I complain to to ensure he loses his job,
or at the bery least is forced to ride a bike for 50 miles arround London.

I can't quite understand what the issue is here, but a few years ago a
bus rushed passed me like a mountain of solid air, much too close for my
comfort, and 50m down the road took the wing mirror off a parked car.

I said to him - very politely, as he was taking down the details of the
car he'd damaged - "excuse me, I thought you were too close to me as
well." He dismissed me rudely, saying he'd been "miles away" from me.

I wrote to the bus company, and got a polite letter apologising for the
incident and saying the driver had been sent on extra training.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Old September 1st 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

I said to him - very politely, as he was taking down the details of the
car he'd damaged - "excuse me, I thought you were too close to me as
well." He dismissed me rudely, saying he'd been "miles away" from me.

I wrote to the bus company, and got a polite letter apologising for the
incident and saying the driver had been sent on extra training.

Not quite the same as the 'threat' to personal safety posed by a stationary
vehicle. Some folk invite rude behaviour from others by the self-righteous
stances that they assume. In a previous thread I, mentioned that at my most
agitated I might shake my head in disbelief or mock sorrow at the
misdemeanours of other road users and get on with the rest of my life.
Getting worked up and taking the time to write about a parked bus indicates
a serious lack of laissez faire. Move on forget it. I doubt a sacking will
take place. London would grind to a standstill if all transport employees
were sacked on demand because of their rude behaviour.

Old September 1st 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
dwb dwb is offline

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 20:14:03
on Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Simonb
remarked:
a mandatory bike lane

An what?

A bike lane marked by a solid white line, that motorised vehicles are
banned from entering. Unlike a one with dashed lines, where they can
if necessary to avoid another vehicle.

Um, the bus lanes that I see in London have solid white lines, so not sure
how that works :/

Old September 1st 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling

Richard J. wrote:
So you want to sack someone who returned your rudeness just because you
had to walk past a bus on the pavement. Grow up.

If I spoke in that manner to a potential customer then I would expect to
be sacked. Why should bus drivers be any difference.

Anyway, if a professional driver takes a motor vehicle into a mandatory
cycle lane that sounds like gross incompetence to me. In any job I
would expect employees to get at the very least a written warning after
demonstrating gross incompetence.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Oyster Complaint John[_3_] London Transport 1 March 9th 09 05:12 PM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? David FitzGerald London Transport 34 September 15th 04 06:50 AM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? [email protected] London Transport 0 September 11th 04 04:45 PM
OYbike Paul Weaver London Transport 2 June 29th 04 06:32 PM
Bus driver training? Redonda London Transport 19 February 22nd 04 04:54 PM