Old September 7th 04, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sad day for London and farewell to faithful friends

In article ,
are (Acrosticus) wrote:

who last rode in an RT in regular service in the spring too ...
(except that was back in 1972!).

I stumbled on an RT on a Cornish farm while on holiday this summer. GOK
what it was doing there! Some pictures at
www.rosenstiel.co.uk/trains/buses/buses.htm, along with an RM somewhere
they're still in service.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old September 8th 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

I stumbled on an RT on a Cornish farm while on holiday this summer. GOK
what it was doing there! Some pictures at

Gently falling apart, by the look of it! We are now at the point where
many 'preserved' RTs are getting beyond saving. If anyone knows of one
for sale at a sensible price, let me know.

Colin McKenzie

Old September 8th 04, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

improved nutrition

You've not been keeping up with the news have you? Does the phrase
"Child obesity" ring any bells?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 8th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (James
Penton) wrote:

AFAICS, the presence of conductors on RMs seems to be the only universal
(i.e. non-subjective) reason as to why they should be kept. I'm not
convinced. Nevertheless, I am worrying about the 73...

Hop on, hop off usage is a bigger reason for me.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old September 8th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

" And sex differences. Women tend to have longer thighs and shorter shins
for a given leg length. The point is, I'm NOT exceptionally leggy, even
if my femur may be an inch longer than Ms Average (and possibly the same
length as Mr Average). If I can't fit in comfortably, half the adult
population won't either. That is poor design.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

As one of the average-height-but-long-femur contingent, I agree with you
entirely. It seems to me that the people who design bus seating layouts and
the people from operating companies who commission them are all in the short
femur category. Or, more likely in the case of OCs, they don't give a 4X
about passenger comfort. They just want to be able to say they've put so
many new buses into service and that the buses will seat x-amount of
passengers (to placate those who detest all that standing space) and blah
and blah .... It's all grist for the mill when it comes to getting their
contracts from TfL renewed.

Pardon? Did I hear someone say "cynical"?

Old September 9th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:12:12 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

Am I alone in finding that RMs have much *better* legroom than newer
buses?

No. I find RMs a lot more comfortable to sit in (I'm an average
height - 6ft)
Old September 9th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote ...

Saw a 390 RM, claiming a destination of York Way, heading down the A23
towards Redhill on Saturday afternoon, presumably on its way to some new
home.

Checked it out, it was RML2731 / SMK731F previously of Holloway.
Anyone know where it might have been heading?

Old September 11th 04, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , k
writes
wrote:

Am I alone in finding that RMs have much *better* legroom than newer
buses?

No. I find RMs a lot more comfortable to sit in (I'm an average
height - 6ft)

Actually, I find the latest generation of buses - the bendies, the
ALX/400, Tridents and Geminis the best for legroom - I find my legs get
crushed on RMs and the Plaxton Darts are purgatory. I'm 6'2", with a
long femur (34" inside leg).

(And I use all the above regularly)
--
Steve