Old September 8th 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default North London Lines question

Hi there,

Currently in possession of a Z12 travelcard and want to use Silverlink to go
from West Hampstead to Highbury & Islington.

Possible or do I need to fork out extra as the train flirts with Z3 at
Hampstead Heath?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Nes.
--
Please remove the spam-deflecting X's to reply directly to me - or simply
reply to the group!

Old September 8th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Nestor Badudoy wrote:
Hi there,

Currently in possession of a Z12 travelcard and want to use Silverlink to go
from West Hampstead to Highbury & Islington.

Possible or do I need to fork out extra as the train flirts with Z3 at
Hampstead Heath?

It does more than 'flirt'; it positivly enters zone 3 at that station.
You will need to get a zone 123 travelcard to travel from West Hampstead &
Highbury & Islington. Or something.

Or take a bus as far as Gospel Oak; get a Thameslink service into Kings Cross
and get the Victoria Line out; or get the Jubilee and Victoria; or ...

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.
Old September 8th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Currently in possession of a Z12 travelcard and want to use Silverlink to
go
from West Hampstead to Highbury & Islington.

Possible or do I need to fork out extra as the train flirts with Z3 at
Hampstead Heath?

The Zone 2/3 border was slyly moved south of Hampstead Heath station several
years ago, even though Hampstead Heath is nearer the centre of London than
Hampstead tube station (Zones 2/3). This made my Zones 1and 2 travelcard
invalid for westward journeys further than Gospel Oak, even though after
Hampstead Heath the next five stations are once again in Zone 2. Grr.

Guy

Old September 9th 04, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I was looking at the map. Apparently, unless I'm readnig wrong, the line is
in Z3 from Kew to South Action, then a one stop venture into Z2 for Acton
Central, then back to Z3 for one stop (Willseden), then back and forth!

Why not make the line an exception and allow Z2 and Z3 tickets (like, for
example, Tramlink)?

Am I missing something? What do others think?

Regards,
Nes.

Old September 9th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Nestor Badudoy wrote:

I was looking at the map. Apparently, unless I'm readnig wrong, the line is
in Z3 from Kew to South Action, then a one stop venture into Z2 for Acton
Central, then back to Z3 for one stop (Willseden), then back and forth!

Why not make the line an exception and allow Z2 and Z3 tickets (like, for
example, Tramlink)?

Why not just shift the zone 2/3 boundary, so that Acton Central is in Z3
and Hampstead Heath is in Z2. As it stands, there are no possible in-zone
journeys for those stations!

I'd also argue for the stations where the line crosses the boundaries to
be in both zones, since these are Willesden Junction and Stratford, both
of which are useful interchanges and should be available from both sides.

tom

--
So the moon is approximately 24 toasters from S****horpe.

Old September 9th 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Willesden Junction used to be a boundary station, then they made it Z3 only.
I guess they wanted increased revenues from all the services that ran thru
there (e.g. the old North London Lines services from Richmond and the
cross-London services from Clapham Junction and beyond).

I agree that Stratford would be a good boundary station, but that wouldn't
happen, esp when the CTRL opens up thru that area. INCREASED REVENUE!

Nes.

Old September 9th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nestor Badudoy wrote:

Willesden Junction used to be a boundary station, then they made it Z3 only.
I guess they wanted increased revenues from all the services that ran thru
there (e.g. the old North London Lines services from Richmond and the
cross-London services from Clapham Junction and beyond).

I agree that Stratford would be a good boundary station, but that wouldn't
happen, esp when the CTRL opens up thru that area. INCREASED REVENUE!

Yes, I think revenue is the point. Otherwise you could get a very long
way on a 1-zone ticket.

It wasn't always so. In the 70s there was a 25p day return to any
station on the line, though it admittedly only went to Broad Street
then. Useful for getting from west to east London cheaply.

Colin McKenzie

Old September 10th 04, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Nestor Badudoy
writes
I was looking at the map. Apparently, unless I'm readnig wrong, the line is
in Z3 from Kew to South Action, then a one stop venture into Z2 for Acton
Central, then back to Z3 for one stop (Willseden), then back and forth!

Why not make the line an exception and allow Z2 and Z3 tickets (like, for
example, Tramlink)?

Am I missing something?

Yes. The boundary zig-zags across that line *deliberately* to stop you
being able to go from Acton to Stratford (almost) on a Z2 ticket.

Zonal systems are still intended to make the cost of a journey be based
on the distance you travel. For a network of radial lines, concentric
zones work quite well, but an orbital line like the NLL breaks that
model. Hence the change to the boundaries.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old September 10th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article , Nestor Badudoy
writes
I was looking at the map. Apparently, unless I'm readnig wrong, the line is
in Z3 from Kew to South Action, then a one stop venture into Z2 for Acton
Central, then back to Z3 for one stop (Willseden), then back and forth!

Why not make the line an exception and allow Z2 and Z3 tickets (like, for
example, Tramlink)?

Am I missing something?

Yes. The boundary zig-zags across that line *deliberately* to stop you
being able to go from Acton to Stratford (almost) on a Z2 ticket.

That explains Hampstead Heath, but not Acton Central or Willesden Junction
- having either of those in the 'right' zone would only extend the longest
one-zone journey by two stops. And hey, you can do the whole thing on a
Z23 ticket! Well, from Kew Gardens, anyway.

Zonal systems are still intended to make the cost of a journey be based
on the distance you travel. For a network of radial lines, concentric
zones work quite well, but an orbital line like the NLL breaks that
model. Hence the change to the boundaries.

I'd wondered if that was the case, but it just seemed too silly. Surely
the whole *point* of orbital lines is to encourage journeys like that; if
i have to pay for two zones to get from Acton to the east end, i might as
well take the Central line! And yes, Z12 is more expensive than Z23, but
it's also a lot faster.

tom

--
The revolving disc of plagues is particularly fun. -- greengolux

Old September 11th 04, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tom Anderson writes
Zonal systems are still intended to make the cost of a journey be based
on the distance you travel. For a network of radial lines, concentric
zones work quite well, but an orbital line like the NLL breaks that
model. Hence the change to the boundaries.

I'd wondered if that was the case, but it just seemed too silly. Surely
the whole *point* of orbital lines is to encourage journeys like that;

No: orbital lines are built for various reasons (and that particular one
is a hodge-podge). As it is, you get a fair discount for the orbital
journey (a Z23 fare instead of a Z1-3 one).

Places with significant numbers of orbital lines use a "tiled" system of
zones rather than concentric ones. Look at Copenhagen or Tyne & Wear.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: