Old September 15th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Leytonstone tunnel?

Just as my train left Leytonstone heading eastbound to Epping yesterday,
I noticed a tunnel that dips down quite sharply on the westbound side of
the track. I don't think that this tunnel would be visible from a
westbound train entering Leytonstone. Just out of curiosity, anyone know
what it might be used for?

Simon.

Old September 15th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

simon wrote:
Just as my train left Leytonstone heading eastbound to Epping
yesterday, I noticed a tunnel that dips down quite sharply on the
westbound side of the track. I don't think that this tunnel would be
visible from a westbound train entering Leytonstone. Just out of
curiosity, anyone know what it might be used for?

Simon.

That is the branch from Hainault and Newbury Park. As you proceed East, the
branch to Newbury Park enters a tunnel on your left and then dives under
the Epping Branch and remains in tunnel until just before Newbury Park. The
Westbound line from there rises out of the tunnel and joins the line from
Epping on the left of that line. Thus, no conflicting movements.

See the route and signalling diagram at :
http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/ro...ling%20Diagram

--
Lawrence Myers

Old September 15th 04, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Lawrence Myers
writes
simon wrote:
Just as my train left Leytonstone heading eastbound to Epping
yesterday, I noticed a tunnel that dips down quite sharply on the
westbound side of the track. I don't think that this tunnel would be
visible from a westbound train entering Leytonstone. Just out of
curiosity, anyone know what it might be used for?

Simon.

That is the branch from Hainault and Newbury Park. As you proceed East, the
branch to Newbury Park enters a tunnel on your left and then dives under
the Epping Branch and remains in tunnel until just before Newbury Park. The
Westbound line from there rises out of the tunnel and joins the line from
Epping on the left of that line. Thus, no conflicting movements.

See the route and signalling diagram at :
http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/ro...agrams.htm#Ley
tonstone%20Track%20&%20Signalling%20Diagram

Curiosity satisfied!
Thanks Lawrence,
Simon.
Old September 15th 04, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

simon wrote in message ...
In message , Lawrence Myers
writes
simon wrote:
[...]

Whilst on the subject of the Leytonstone area, when was the link from
Leyton to Stratford taken out and when would the last train have run,
also Newbury Park to Ilford.

Kevin
Old September 16th 04, 12:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Kevin) wrote in message . com...
simon wrote in message ...
In message , Lawrence Myers
writes
simon wrote:
[...]

http://www.simon5596.supanet.com/history.htm

'The Newbury Park - Seven Kings route closed in 1956; for many years a
short stub of track remained at Newbury Park and to this day the route
is still largely uninterrupted. The connection at Leyton lasted a
little longer; the last early morning trains from Epping to Liverpool
Street ran in 1970. The connection was removed in 1972.'

Old September 16th 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
om...
'The Newbury Park - Seven Kings route closed in 1956; for many years a
short stub of track remained at Newbury Park and to this day the route
is still largely uninterrupted.

This strikes me as quite a useful link to have had, given that there is now
no connection between the Central Line east of Stratford and any other
railway. At least as useful as Romford-Upminster, which survives...

Old September 17th 04, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Chris Henderson wrote:
"Dr. Sunil" wrote in message
om...
'The Newbury Park - Seven Kings route closed in 1956; for many years
a short stub of track remained at Newbury Park and to this day the
route is still largely uninterrupted.

This strikes me as quite a useful link to have had, given that there
is now no connection between the Central Line east of Stratford and
any other railway. At least as useful as Romford-Upminster, which
survives...

The Ilford car sheds were built on the junction with the Colchester main
line.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx