Old September 22nd 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Zac Zac is offline

Default Thameslink Fare Evasion

Hi everyone

My mate got apprehended by Fare Evasion officers this morning. Not sure if
all the info is right as he is not at work yet.

He bought a ticket from Harpenden to London with a Young Persons Discount
railcard. His Young persons had expired a couple of days ago. Not sure if
he realised if it had or not.

Two men in suits with Thameslink ID's (Undercover RPI's) checked tickets,
and said his ticket was invalid as YP was out of date. Would this
constitute fare evasion / another offence ?

He was chucked out at Kentish Town and questioned in "Special" room where
they checked given name and address with the police, full questioning,
confiscation of tickets.
Then issued a document to say fine will be £40 - £1000 and will receive
letter in the next 3 weeks. If he wants to contest it, it will go to court.

Any advice on the penalties etc ?

I will confirm all these points when I speak to my colleague.

Old September 22nd 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Zac" wrote in message
[...]

Surely whoever sold him the ticket is at fault for not spotting the out of
date railcard.

Old September 22nd 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Zac Zac is offline

[...]

Ticket was from a machine

Old September 22nd 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Zac" wrote in message

Ticket was from a machine

Pity

Old September 23rd 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in message

Surely whoever sold him the ticket is at fault for not spotting the out of
date railcard.

When did this country ditch the idea of personal responsibility?

Surely if you make a mistake put up your hand and pay the penalty.

DFF

Old September 23rd 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:34:44 +0100, "Darren"
wrote:

Surely if you make a mistake put up your hand and pay the penalty.

Indeed. The *appropriate* penalty, which in my mind here is a Penalty
Fare, not prosecution, as it seems clear there was no intent to
defraud.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain
Old September 27th 04, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Neil Williams
writes

Surely if you make a mistake put up your hand and pay the penalty.

Indeed. The *appropriate* penalty, which in my mind here is a Penalty
Fare, not prosecution, as it seems clear there was no intent to
defraud.

Does it?

You are in possession of all the facts in this case then, and can
determine intent?

Just, maybe, perhaps he thought he could get away with it so didn't
bother to renew his card.
Old September 27th 04, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
In message , Neil Williams
writes

Surely if you make a mistake put up your hand and pay the penalty.

Indeed. The *appropriate* penalty, which in my mind here is a Penalty
Fare, not prosecution, as it seems clear there was no intent to
defraud.

Does it?

You are in possession of all the facts in this case then, and can
determine intent?

Just, maybe, perhaps he thought he could get away with it so didn't
bother to renew his card.

Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't. However unless he admitted knowing the card
had expired I don't see how they can prove intent. If the card was 2 months
of out of date maybe, but not a few days.

Peter Smyth

Old September 27th 04, 05:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--- "Steve Fitzgerald" wrote:

Just, maybe, perhaps he thought he could get away with it so didn't
bother to renew his card.

I thought this country had a system of "innocent until proven guilty". Not
"innocent unless just, maybe, guilty".

Old September 22nd 04, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:38:43 +0000 (UTC), "Zac"
wrote:

He was chucked out at Kentish Town and questioned in "Special" room where
they checked given name and address with the police, full questioning,
confiscation of tickets.
Then issued a document to say fine will be £40 - £1000 and will receive
letter in the next 3 weeks. If he wants to contest it, it will go to court.

Not again. This heavy-handedness is getting ridiculous. Surely this
(like the last one that was discussed either on here or on uk.railway)
is precisely the kind of circumstances for which the Penalty Fares
system is intended?

Neil