London Banter

-   -   Stansted to Barking (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2200-stansted-barking.html)

Jiminy September 24th 04 10:13 AM

Stansted to Barking

Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

Tnx for your feedback

Paul Weaver September 24th 04 10:35 AM

Stansted to Barking

"Jiminy" wrote in message
Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

Tottenham Hale to Barking involves one stop on the victoria to blackhorse
road, then a train to barking. The easiest way is Train to Liverpool street
and then H&C to barking.

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Paul Corfield September 24th 04 11:45 AM

Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:13:25 GMT, Jiminy wrote:

Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

You could catch the National Express A9 coach to Stratford and then
local bus 238 or

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/stansted.cfm

http://www.busmap.org/tt/A09.pdf
http://www.busmap.org/tt/238.pdf

the same coach to Stratford then Jubilee Line to West Ham and then
District Line or H&C Line to Barking.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colormap.pdf
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubem...s/District.pdf
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubem...circlehamm.pdf
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/tubem...ps/Jubilee.pdf

Or Train to Tottenham Hale then 123 bus to Ilford then bus 169, 179 or
369 to Barking. The 123 stops right outside Tottenham Hale station
(stop V on the map) in the little bus station area while it is a simple
change between buses in Ilford (get off at stop N) and get on at stop L.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/tottenham.pdf
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/ilford.pdf

http://www.busmap.org/tt/123.pdf
http://www.busmap.org/tt/169.pdf
http://www.busmap.org/tt/179.pdf
http://www.busmap.org/tt/369.pdf

All the buses are frequent and are only £1 per journey.
--
Paul C

Mike Bristow September 24th 04 01:38 PM

Stansted to Barking

In article ,
Paul Weaver wrote:
Tottenham Hale to Barking involves one stop on the victoria to blackhorse
road, then a train to barking.

These trains run every half hour.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Annabel Smyth September 24th 04 03:00 PM

Stansted to Barking

Jiminy wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 24 Sep 2004:

Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

If you want to go on the Tube, then Liverpool Street is your best bet,
as it is on the Hammersmith and City Line, which will take you direct to
Barking. That would be the quickest way as far as I know.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

LarryLard September 24th 04 03:13 PM

Stansted to Barking

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message ...
"Jiminy" wrote in message
Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

Tottenham Hale to Barking involves one stop on the victoria to blackhorse
road, then a train to barking. The easiest way is Train to Liverpool street
and then H&C to barking.

I agree, I don't think there's anything to be gained by not going all
the way to London Liverpool St. Looking at my London Connections map
suggests there is a limited train (as opposed to London Underground)
service from Liverpool St direct to Barking; I imagine this is a
peak-hours-only service, so your best bet would probably be to take
the Hammersmith&City line as suggested.

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

John Rowland September 24th 04 03:46 PM

Stansted to Barking

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...

Looking at my London Connections map
suggests there is a limited train (as opposed
to London Underground) service from Liverpool St
direct to Barking; I imagine this is a
peak-hours-only service

No, it's a very-late-night-only service.

ObUTL: Looking again at this map:
the GOBLin has really poor connections doesn't it!

The most irritating thing is that there is easily room to relocate the
Tottenham Hale WAGN platforms south of Ferry Road, in which case they would
stretch pretty much all the way to the Goblin Line where (I think) there is
room to build platforms. But since the WAGN platforms have recently had
shelters and escalators installed, I don't think they're going anywhere.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Tom Anderson September 24th 04 04:02 PM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

On 24 Sep 2004, LarryLard wrote:

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:

Upper Holloway - Archway
Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay
South Tottenham - Seven Sisters
Wathamstow Queens Road - Walthamstow Central
Wanstead Park - Forest Gate
Leytonstone High Road - Leytonstone
Woodgrange Park - Manor Park

All of those are a few hundred metres apart, which isn't that much of a
walk - probably less than the walks inside a larger tube station.

In fact, what is the longest interchange walk inside one station? I'd
guess it was Central to Circle at Bank. Or perhaps W&C to Circle.

tom

--
We must perform a quirkafleeg

Robin May September 24th 04 04:06 PM

Stansted to Barking

(LarryLard) wrote the following in:
om

I agree, I don't think there's anything to be gained by not going
all the way to London Liverpool St. Looking at my London
Connections map suggests there is a limited train (as opposed to
London Underground) service from Liverpool St direct to Barking; I
imagine this is a peak-hours-only service, so your best bet would
probably be to take the Hammersmith&City line as suggested.

Actually it's a late at night only service.

--
message by the incredible Robin May.
"The British don't like successful people" - said by British failures

Who is Abi Titmuss? What is she? Why is she famous?
http://robinmay.fotopic.net

Tom Anderson September 24th 04 05:12 PM

Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...

Looking at my London Connections map suggests there is a limited train
(as opposed to London Underground) service from Liverpool St direct to
Barking; I imagine this is a peak-hours-only service

No, it's a very-late-night-only service.

Yes, it's C2C LTS line trains, which run to Fenchurch Street in the day,
but use Liverpool Street at night. LTUC did a report on the possibility of
using Fenchurch Street all the time ('Which Street for Southend?'), and it
has an absolutely priceless observation:

4.9 Staff views

4.9.1 Passenger trains are run for the benefit of their users, not of
their staff, and the views of operating staff were not sought in the
course of this survey. Nevertheless, it is worth recording that LTUC's
surveyors were approached spontaneously by a number of c2c's train staff
at Fenchurch Street and of other train companies' station staff at
Liverpool Street. The train staff all expressed a strong preference for
Fenchurch Street, which they saw as their home territory (with the staff
amenities they regularly used) and as a less challenging route to operate.
The station staff also favoured the removal of c2c's trains from Liverpool
Street, as these trains were perceived to have a particularly challenging
clientele with whom it was necessary to cope.

I don't know if you've ever been at Liverpool Street while it's full of
Essex boys and girls on their way home after a night out, but
"particularly challenging" is a pretty good description!

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

The most irritating thing is that there is easily room to relocate the
Tottenham Hale WAGN platforms south of Ferry Road, in which case they
would stretch pretty much all the way to the Goblin Line where (I think)
there is room to build platforms.

Where abouts are the Victoria Line platforms, though?

tom

--
We must perform a quirkafleeg

Alan \(in Brussels\) September 24th 04 06:48 PM

Stansted to Barking

"Jiminy" a écrit dans le message de
Arriving at Stansted Airport, suppose I'll take the Stansted
Express/Skytrain to Liverpool Street Station.

To go to Barking, may I be dropped along the route or I must go first
at Liverpool Str Station, then from there take the tube?

For instance, dropping at Tottenham Hale allow me to reach Barking
easily?

Or exists a better alternative?

Tnx for your feedback

As nobody here has so far pointed out, there's an on-line journey planner
which is smart enough to look at the various routes; the URL is:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/planmyjourney/

You don't say exactly when you want to travel, so I can't give you more
specific advice, but just looking at the next few journeys indicates that
changing at Tottenham Hale & Blackhorse Rd. is the fastest (1h 29 min),
while walking from Liverpool St to Fenchurch St would give 1h 35min. It
even considers changing at Hackney (Downs/Central) & W. Ham but that's even
slower...

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels - mind the spamtrap)

Peter Smyth September 24th 04 07:18 PM

Stansted to Barking

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in message

[...]

I wouldn't pay much attention to those times. For example it allows about 40
minutes to get one stop on the Victoria line from Tottenham Hale to
Blackhorse Road and a similar time to walk 1/2 mile from Liv St to Fen St.
It doesn't even mention the most obvious route of Hammersmith and City line.

The TfL Journey Planner http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk gives times of
about 1h15 for both the GOBLin from Blackhorse Rd and the H&C from Liverpool
Street. I would suggest going via Liverpool Street as the frequency is much
better.

Peter Smyth

Alan \(in Brussels\) September 24th 04 07:47 PM

Stansted to Barking

"Peter Smyth" a écrit dans le message de

"Alan (in Brussels)" wrote in

message

[...]

I agree with your conclusion, but not your analysis of the data from the NR
journey planner. The apparently long time allowances for the connections are
due mainly to the infrequent train services concerned - if the trains are
running every half hour, it's obviously better to build in a safety margin,
and so maybe 25 of the 40 minutes for the Victoria Line connection would be
spent just waiting...

IOW, you may well prefer what seems like a longer overall journey if you can
be sure that typical train lateness has little impact on its overall
duration. And maybe one day we'll have terminals on platforms that allow us
to check real-time running en-route ;-)

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

David Jackman September 24th 04 07:51 PM

Stansted to Barking

"Alan \(in Brussels\)" wrote in
:

[...]

Even better, try tfl's version (via www.tfl.gov.uk) which has intimate
knowledge of the times of tube trains (national rail's version struggles
with first and last trains).

Lunchtime tomorrow came up with 1hr 17mins via Liverpool Street and Mile
End or 1hr 15mins, 1hr 17 mins, 1 hr 19mins or 1hr 21mins direct from
Liverpool Street to Barking on the H&C. H&C runs every 8 minutes at that
time, journey planner knows and works to the exact schedule, though (except
for first and last trains) this is being a bit precise for me!

With luggage its an easy decision to go for the direct train. (Note:
Journey Planner doesn't understand National Rail fares so the £3.00+ means
£3.00 plus the £ 13.80 single from Stansted to London).

Transport Direct (the new cross modal UK wide planner, see Rodger Ford's
column in Modern Railways) at www.transportdirect.co.uk also came up with
the route via Liverpool Street and Mile End but quoted 2hrs 17mins after
allowing 68 minutes for the 8 minute walk from Liverpool Street (National
Rail) to Liverpool Street (Underground)...

Mike Bristow September 24th 04 08:14 PM

Stansted to Barking

In article ,
LarryLard wrote:
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

Not as bad as they appear; it's got same-station interchanges with the
SSL at Barking; about 7min walk to the Central (Leytonstone-Leytonstone);
same station to the Victoria at Blackhorse Road; and about 5 minute to the
Northern Line (Upper Holloway - Archway).

The real probelem with it is that it's 2tph, 2 car, and appears to
be standing room only for much of the day.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Phil Richards September 24th 04 10:34 PM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
said...

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:

Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House

South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

--
Phil Richards
London, UK

Tom Anderson September 24th 04 11:55 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
said...

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:

Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House

True. In fact, once you look at it like this, the GOBLin is one of the
best-connected lines in London!

tom

--
For one thing at least is almost certain about the future, namely, that very much of it will be such as we should call incredible. -- Olaf Stapledon

Jiminy September 25th 04 12:24 PM

Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:00:26 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

If you want to go on the Tube, then Liverpool Street is your best bet,
as it is on the Hammersmith and City Line, which will take you direct to
Barking. That would be the quickest way as far as I know.

Thank you ALL!

Clive D. W. Feather September 25th 04 12:26 PM

Stansted to Barking

In article 0, David
Jackman writes
the 8 minute walk from Liverpool Street (National
Rail) to Liverpool Street (Underground)...

8? It's under a minute from the platforms the Stansted Express uses to
the Eastbound H&C. Even worst case (Westbound H&C to platform 18) is
only 2 or 3 minutes.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Paul Weaver September 25th 04 12:39 PM

Stansted to Barking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:14:47 +0000, Mike Bristow wrote:

In article ,
LarryLard wrote:
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

Not as bad as they appear; it's got same-station interchanges with the
SSL at Barking; about 7min walk to the Central (Leytonstone-Leytonstone);
same station to the Victoria at Blackhorse Road; and about 5 minute to the
Northern Line (Upper Holloway - Archway).

The real probelem with it is that it's 2tph, 2 car, and appears to
be standing room only for much of the day.

THe other real problem is the lack of connections show on a map. If there
was a dotted line between the two leytonstones, with 500 yards, and the
route was fully signposted, there wouldn't be a problem.

Colin McKenzie September 25th 04 12:43 PM

Phil Richards wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:
Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park
Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House
South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

Of course, if they had usable interchanges, they'd need frequent and
longer trains to carry the passengers they'd divert from overloaded
tube trains.

Colin McKenzie

Dave Arquati September 26th 04 12:32 AM

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson

ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:
Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Also Manor House

South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

Of course, if they had usable interchanges, they'd need frequent and
longer trains to carry the passengers they'd divert from overloaded tube
trains.

Colin McKenzie

The problem with this is that the Goblin is earmarked as a freight route
rather than a passenger one, and in order to increase passenger service
frequency on the North London Line, the Goblin will have to take more
freight - condemning it to an ever-poor passenger service.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Annabel Smyth September 26th 04 09:38 AM

Stansted to Barking

Alan (in Brussels) wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 24 Sep 2004:

IOW, you may well prefer what seems like a longer overall journey if you can
be sure that typical train lateness has little impact on its overall
duration. And maybe one day we'll have terminals on platforms that allow us
to check real-time running en-route ;-)

But why faff about when there are trains every 15 minutes from Stansted
to Liverpool Street, and then Tube trains every few minutes on the
Hammersmith & City Line to Barking? I can't think why you'd want to go
to Fenchurch Street in the first place?

Phil Richards September 26th 04 09:50 AM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:43:49 +0100 Colin McKenzie
said...

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

When it comes to interchanges (other than buses) then, no as that would
require huge reconstruction projects, re-routing lines etc.

However I think you'll find with "London Rail" rail services within the
TfL area will be going through some changes over the next few years.
Certainly TfL will have more say over service provision and (at long
last) hopefully are fares structure based on that of the tube - i.e. zone
to zone rather than point to point.

Phil Richards September 26th 04 09:54 AM

Stansted to Barking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:26:35 +0100 Clive D. W. Feather clive@on-the-
train.demon.co.uk said...

8? It's under a minute from the platforms the Stansted Express uses to
the Eastbound H&C. Even worst case (Westbound H&C to platform 18) is
only 2 or 3 minutes.

No doubt the 8 minutes interchange is that built in to the journey
planner. May be for someone who has no luggage and is physically fit may
easily cope with the connection in a couple of minutes, other situations
may be different.

Richard J. September 26th 04 11:34 AM

Stansted to Barking

Phil Richards wrote:
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:26:35 +0100 Clive D. W. Feather
clive@on-the- train.demon.co.uk said...

8? It's under a minute from the platforms the Stansted Express
uses to the Eastbound H&C. Even worst case (Westbound H&C to
platform 18) is only 2 or 3 minutes.

No doubt the 8 minutes interchange is that built in to the journey
planner. May be for someone who has no luggage and is physically
fit may easily cope with the connection in a couple of minutes,
other situations may be different.

The Journey Planner defaults to "Average" walking speed, which is quite
slow. I usually (if I remember) change it to "Fast", which used to be
about 3 mph. However the new version of the TfL JP has changed my
normal 10-minute walk to my local tube station to 16 minutes, so I'm not
sure what they're up to.

I've just tried to see what they use for Liverpool Street transfer
times, but they seem to have stopped quoting transfer times, which
further damages my confidence in the JP. (It seems to be giving ever
more bizarre results. For a journey yesterday, it asked me to get off a
bus in mid-journey and wait for the one behind on the same route with
the same destination! It also warned me about Hammersmith & City Line
delays on my *bus* route.)
--
Richard J.

Aidan Stanger September 26th 04 03:03 PM

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Phil Richards wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:02:16 +0100 Tom Anderson
ObUTL: Looking again at this map: the GOBLin has really poor
connections doesn't it!

It's got a lot of 'near misses', though:
Upper Holloway - Archway

Crouch Hill - Finsbury Park

Over 1km away!

Harringay Green Lanes - Harringay

Those stations aren't close, but the line is. The GOBLIN should really
serve both.

Also Manor House

That's more a case of poor Tube design - 'tis the Piccadilly Line which
fails to have a station in the right place.

South Tottenham - Seven Sisters

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

Of course, if they had usable interchanges, they'd need frequent and
longer trains to carry the passengers they'd divert from overloaded
tube trains.

No, just frequent trains - or frequent trams!

Tom Anderson September 26th 04 05:05 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:43:49 +0100 Colin McKenzie
said...

It's a disgrace that both the Goblin and the North London have so many
non-interchanges after 50 years of nationalised railways. There's not
much sign of Ken improving things either.

When it comes to interchanges (other than buses) then, no as that would
require huge reconstruction projects, re-routing lines etc.

Not necessarily - there are a number of places where lines cross where
interchange stations could be built (or even where extra platforms could
be added to an existing station), without needing to move any lines.
Granted, this can still be quite expensive, but it's hardly 'huge
reconstruction'.

tom

--
VENN DIAGRAM THAT LOOK LIKE TWO BIG CIRCLES EQUAL BAD PUBLIC POLICY.

Colin Rosenstiel September 26th 04 09:00 PM

(Tom Anderson) wrote:

In fact, what is the longest interchange walk inside one station? I'd
guess it was Central to Circle at Bank. Or perhaps W&C to Circle.

I don't count those as inside one station. I count the Northern Line and
Docklands as inside two stations.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Phil Richards September 26th 04 10:41 PM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:33:18 +0930 Aidan Stanger
said...

Also Manor House

That's more a case of poor Tube design - 'tis the Piccadilly Line which
fails to have a station in the right place.

Some while back I raised a similar point about why there is such a big
station-less gap on the Piccadilly Line between Manor House and Turnpike
Lane. The answer given was that stations were located near to tram
interchanges when the line got built.

Ideally a station in the vicinity of the junction of Green Lanes & St
Ann's Road would be best IMO.

--
Phil Richards
London N4, UK

Tom Anderson September 27th 04 04:15 PM

wrote:

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Also Manor House

That's more a case of poor Tube design - 'tis the Piccadilly Line which
fails to have a station in the right place.

If memory serves, don't the Piccadilly and Victoria Lines cross
somewhere in the vicinity of Harringay Green Lanes Station?

According to Simon Clarke's geographical tube map, those lines don't cross
anywhere north of King's Cross. He might be wrong, though.

Or did you mean the crossing of the GOBLin and the Victoria?

tom

--
Rip and tear your guts! You are huge! That means you have huge guts! Rip and tear! -- The Doomguy

Richard J. September 27th 04 04:46 PM

Stanger) wrote:

Colin McKenzie wrote:

Also Manor House

That's more a case of poor Tube design - 'tis the Piccadilly Line
which fails to have a station in the right place.

If memory serves, don't the Piccadilly and Victoria Lines cross
somewhere in the vicinity of Harringay Green Lanes Station?

According to Simon Clarke's geographical tube map, those lines
don't cross anywhere north of King's Cross. He might be wrong,
though.

He is, and not only there. According to the TfL Journey Planner, the
Victoria line crosses the Piccadilly near Rowley Gardens bus stop on
Green Lanes. Ask it for a journey from Seven Sisters to Manor House and
look at the "end map" for Manor House on a route which uses both lines.
--
Richard J.

John Rowland September 27th 04 06:06 PM

"Richard J." wrote in message

According to the TfL Journey Planner, the Victoria line
crosses the Piccadilly near Rowley Gardens bus stop
on Green Lanes. Ask it for a journey from Seven Sisters
to Manor House and look at the "end map" for Manor
House on a route which uses both lines.

Portrayal of tube lines on these maps is random. I can't comment on the
portrayal of the Victoria Line here, but the Central Line at Shepherds Bush
is clearly wrong, as is the portrayal of the W&C at Waterloo.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Mike Bristow September 27th 04 06:15 PM

Stansted to Barking

In article ,
Richard J. wrote:
It also warned me about Hammersmith & City Line
delays on my *bus* route.)

This might not be _totally_ stupid; delays on the H&C might increase
on the busses too.

Of course, if the bus route was the W14 then that explaination
doesn't hold up.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.

Richard J. September 27th 04 08:45 PM

John Rowland wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

According to the TfL Journey Planner, the Victoria line
crosses the Piccadilly near Rowley Gardens bus stop
on Green Lanes. Ask it for a journey from Seven Sisters
to Manor House and look at the "end map" for Manor
House on a route which uses both lines.

Portrayal of tube lines on these maps is random. I can't comment on
the portrayal of the Victoria Line here, but the Central Line at
Shepherds Bush is clearly wrong, as is the portrayal of the W&C at
Waterloo.

OK, so it's not perfect, but it's certainly not random. I'd say it gets
closer to the true geographic route of the tube lines than any modern
map that I've seen.

For example, ask it for a route from NW1 4PT (postcode) to Westminster
(station). You should get a walk to Baker Street followed by one tube
journey (Jubilee). Click on the Start Map for the walk, and you'll see
the rather surprising but reasonably accurate course of the Jubilee Line
"south" of Baker Street.
--
Richard J.

James September 27th 04 11:18 PM

Stansted to Barking

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
Phil Richards wrote:
[...]

If you want a real laugh try www.transportdirect.info

First it offered car (46 minutes) on the M11, A414, A406, A118, A123,
and A124.

After I told the sodding thing not to drive, it declared that there
was no way of getting from Stansted Airport to Barking by public
transport...

Clive D. W. Feather September 29th 04 02:54 PM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
If memory serves, don't the Piccadilly and Victoria Lines cross
somewhere in the vicinity of Harringay Green Lanes Station?

According to Simon Clarke's geographical tube map, those lines don't cross
anywhere north of King's Cross. He might be wrong, though.

The northbound Victoria and southbound Piccadilly cross south of
Finsbury Park, for a start.

Apart from that, my memory is that the Victoria is always east of the
Piccadilly north of Finsbury Park. However, I'm not 100% sure and will
have to do some digging.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Iain September 30th 04 08:09 PM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in
:

Apart from that, my memory is that the Victoria is always east of the
Piccadilly north of Finsbury Park. However, I'm not 100% sure and
will have to do some digging.

Surely that's rather an extreme method of finding out! :-)

Clive D. W. Feather October 1st 04 07:20 AM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

In article , Iain
writes
However, I'm not 100% sure and
will have to do some digging.

Surely that's rather an extreme method of finding out! :-)

Sometimes one can't resist leaving a straight line in and seeing who
bites.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Annabel Smyth October 1st 04 01:23 PM

GOBLIN connections was Stansted to Barking

Iain wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 30 Sep 2004:

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in
:

Apart from that, my memory is that the Victoria is always east of the
Piccadilly north of Finsbury Park. However, I'm not 100% sure and
will have to do some digging.

Surely that's rather an extreme method of finding out! :-)

ROTFL! Excellent!!!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/