Old September 28th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Preserved LU loco on "The Tube"

James Looker wrote in message ...

District Dave has info and photos of it on his site:
http://www.trainweb.org/districtdave...11_saved_.html

As you leave Epping to head towards Ongar there is a LU siding on the
left. The line to Ongar is now owned by a Private Company called Epping
Ongar Railway.

The preserved L11 locomotive is not on the siding at the Ongar end.
It is near the old signal box at the Theydon Bois end of Epping
station. All trains go right past it. Years ago there was a
non-electrified engineers siding outside the signal box, battery locos
or track machines were sometimes left there so this loco doesn't look
out of place now.

Old September 28th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

redtube wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 28 Sep 2004:

"James Looker" wrote in message
As you leave Epping to head towards Ongar there is a LU siding on the
left. The line to Ongar is now owned by a Private Company called Epping
Ongar Railway.

Whats this got to do with L11?

It appears to be where it is stabled.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old September 29th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube Stock (of the
sort which was, or possibly still, on display in the Science Museum, South
Kensington) welded together to form an electric loco for LT. It's
yellow-coloured - I am sure you can find a picture of it in old LT stocklist
books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper you
were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I went to
the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in. Nice bit of
nostalgia
HTH Phil
Old September 30th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube Stock (of
the
sort which was, or possibly still, on display in the Science Museum, South
Kensington) welded together to form an electric loco for LT. It's
yellow-coloured - I am sure you can find a picture of it in old LT

stocklist
books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper you
were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I went to
the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in. Nice bit of
nostalgia
HTH Phil

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic, Caerphily
Castle, the Signal Box - does Terence Cuneo's superb painting of Waterloo
Station survive?

Marc.
Old September 30th 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic, Caerphily
Castle, the Signal Box

....and, it would seem, its Library too now:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/lets_talk/smlibrary.asp

I believe there was to be an announcement about what they had decided
(from the above) today, but I didn't hear what it was.

Old September 30th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:
The loco is (I think) L11: it's 2 ends of driving cars from Tube
Stock (of the sort which was, or possibly still, on display in
the Science Museum, South Kensington) welded together to form an
electric loco for LT. It's yellow-coloured - I am sure you can
find a picture of it in old LT stocklist books (Ian Allan) etc.

Marc.

The train in the science museum has long gone. When I was a nipper
you were allowed inside but in later years not. Then last year I
went to the Acton Depot where it now isand was allowed back in.
Nice bit of nostalgia
HTH Phil

That's a great shame: the Science Museum has also lost Deltic,
Caerphily Castle, the Signal Box - does Terence Cuneo's superb
painting of Waterloo Station survive?

The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York. The Cuneo painting is listed on their site at
http://www.nrm.org.uk/html/exhib_pb/...e/waterloo.asp
Since the NRM and the Science Museum are both part of the NMSI family of
museums, "lost" is perhaps too strong a word.

Next Acton Depot Open Day weekend is October 9/10, by the way.

--
Richard J.

Old September 30th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York.

I thought Caerphilly was now at STEAM in Swindon? Has it moved?
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old September 30th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote:
The prototype Deltic and Caerphilly Castle are both at the National
Railway Museum at York.

I thought Caerphilly was now at STEAM in Swindon? Has it moved?

Sorry, I missed that on the NRM's list. Yes, Caerphilly Castle is on
long-term loan to STEAM at Swindon. The prototype Deltic is at the NRM
though. Full list of what's where is at
http://www.nrm.org.uk/html/coll_pb/LOC1.asp
--
Richard J.

Old October 1st 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Since the NRM and the Science Museum are both part of the NMSI family of
museums, "lost" is perhaps too strong a word.

By "lost", I meant "to a location that will take a day to reach from London".

Frankly, I am appalled that there is not a single decent steam or diesel loco
on display anywhere in London any longer. What does that say about the
priroity to which the Science Museum attaches to these exhibits? After all,
York has countless other steam and diesel locos - keeping aforesaid in London
would hardly have been depriving York!

Marc.