Old September 29th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The Strange Case Of The Disappearing Carmichael Close

Hi all,

I just bought the 2004 edition of "A-Z Master Atlas Of Greater London", and
noticed that Carmichael Close (off Bridgewater Rd, Ruislip Gardens) has
disappeared from the map and from the index. Since I walked down it a few
months ago, I wonder what's happened. It's in my previous edition of the
same atlas, which is a few years old. I know that A-Z put deliberate errors
in their maps to catch out map copiers, such as the never-existed Ramsay
Place in Harrow, but if this is deliberate it's a bit unfair on the
residents of Carmichael Close. Maybe a cartographer's ex lives there? Maybe
it got omitted when they went to computerised cartography?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 29th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:49:43 +0100,
John Rowland
wrote in :

I just bought the 2004 edition of "A-Z Master Atlas Of Greater London", and
noticed that Carmichael Close (off Bridgewater Rd, Ruislip Gardens) has
disappeared from the map and from the index. Since I walked down it a few
months ago, I wonder what's happened. It's in my previous edition of the
same atlas, which is a few years old. I know that A-Z put deliberate errors
in their maps to catch out map copiers, such as the never-existed Ramsay
Place in Harrow, but if this is deliberate it's a bit unfair on the
residents of Carmichael Close. Maybe a cartographer's ex lives there? Maybe
it got omitted when they went to computerised cartography?

Don't worry, it still exists in the alternate universe of
www.streetmap.co.uk [(C) Collins Bartholomew 2003] !

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old September 29th 04, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought the 2004 edition of "A-Z Master Atlas Of Greater London", and
noticed that Carmichael Close (off Bridgewater Rd, Ruislip Gardens) has
disappeared from the map and from the index. Since I walked down it a few
months ago, I wonder what's happened. It's in my previous edition of the
same atlas, which is a few years old. I know that A-Z put deliberate errors
in their maps to catch out map copiers, such as the never-existed Ramsay
Place in Harrow, but if this is deliberate it's a bit unfair on the
residents of Carmichael Close. Maybe a cartographer's ex lives there? Maybe
it got omitted when they went to computerised cartography?

Do readers know of any other fictitious entries into such maps and
street plans?

Nigel
Old September 29th 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Nigel ) wrote:

Do readers know of any other fictitious entries into such maps and
street plans?

Look at the Prince of Wales junction on the Harrow Road (Elgin Avenue
and Fernhead Road) on the A-Z.

Also look at Dean's Yard, behind Westminster Abbey, on OS Landranger.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,
Old September 29th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message
In article ,
(Nigel ) wrote:

Do readers know of any other fictitious
entries into such maps and street plans?

Look at the Prince of Wales junction on the Harrow
Road (Elgin Avenue and Fernhead Road) on the A-Z.

It looks spot on in the latest. The portrayal in my old one is odd, but I
don't know what the junction was like back then.

Anyway, listing deliberate errors is doing a favour to map plagiarists...

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 29th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nigel " wrote in message

Do readers know of any other fictitious entries into such maps and
street plans?

The index to the first edition of Stuart Baker's "Rail Atlas of Great
Britain" contained the following gem (where the entries are name of station,
region, page number, column/row):

Finchley Road & Frognal LT 21 A1
Find**** LT 21 A1
Finnieston SC 76 B1