Old March 16th 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink 2012 (Statement of Case)

"J. Chisholm" wrote in message

Has the publication of Network Rail's 'Statement of Case' dated
March 2005 for Thameslink 2000 been mentioned on this group?

see:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Documents/Web%20SOC.pdf

for a 90 page document submitted in advance of
pre-inquiry meeting to be held on Tuesday 26th April

The Planning Inspectorate has confirmed that the
public inquiry will start on September 6th 2005

Thanks.

"4.33 Since the first inquiry the Crossrail project team has worked closely
with the
Thameslink 2000 project team to completely redesign the Farringdon Crossrail
station at street level. The effect of the new Crossrail station design is
to remove its
dependency on the Thameslink 2000 scheme. In particular the new Crossrail
design
does not require use of the Moorgate branch"

Use of the Moorgate branch? I don't know what they mean, unless the former
plan required widening of the Circle Line platform at Barbican.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 16th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

"4.33 Since the first inquiry the Crossrail project team has worked

closely
with the
Thameslink 2000 project team to completely redesign the Farringdon

Crossrail
station at street level. The effect of the new Crossrail station

design is
to remove its
dependency on the Thameslink 2000 scheme. In particular the new

Crossrail
design
does not require use of the Moorgate branch"

Use of the Moorgate branch? I don't know what they mean, unless the

former
plan required widening of the Circle Line platform at Barbican.

It says the redesign is 'At street level'. It sounds like the disused
(following Thameslink 2000) Widened Lines were going to be used for
passenger access or buildings.

Old March 17th 05, 08:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
ps.com...

I can't help thinking that closing the moorgate spur
is a hopelessly short sighted decision. Huge numbers
of people use thameslink to travel into the city in the
rush hour and if they all have to pile onto the circle line
at farringdon into already overcrowded trains its going to
be chaos. If they want to make the trains longer why not
just delegate some carriages at the end that won't open
their doors at the shorter farringdon platforms? Works
elsewhere in the world. Or would the bedwetters in the
HSE & HMRI have to reach for the smelling salts?

The "2000" in Thameslink 2000 represents the number of times this has been
suggested on Usenet.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 17th 05, 09:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

I can't help thinking that closing the moorgate spur is a hopelessly
short sighted decision. Huge numbers of people use thameslink to

travel
into the city in the rush hour and if they all have to pile onto the
circle line at farringdon into already overcrowded trains its going

be
chaos. If they want to make the trains longer why not just delegate
some carriages at the end that won't open their doors at the shorter
farringdon platforms? Works elsewhere in the world. Or would the
bedwetters in the HSE & HMRI have to reach for the smelling salts?

B2003

or cut out the doors in the rear 4 coaches then move the train forward
for the people at the back to get out. It does seem that in modern life
the human race has lost the ability to come up with any compromise for
anything.
They must be really kicking themselves that they built on the goods
yard and freight lines now.
Kevin

Old March 17th 05, 12:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message
ps.com...

I can't help thinking that closing the moorgate spur
is a hopelessly short sighted decision. Huge numbers
of people use thameslink to travel into the city in the
rush hour and if they all have to pile onto the circle line
at farringdon into already overcrowded trains its going to
be chaos. If they want to make the trains longer why not
just delegate some carriages at the end that won't open
their doors at the shorter farringdon platforms? Works
elsewhere in the world. Or would the bedwetters in the
HSE & HMRI have to reach for the smelling salts?

The "2000" in Thameslink 2000 represents the number of times this has

been
suggested on Usenet.

Thank you for that helpful reply. Perhaps some of us have work to do
and
don't have the time to read back a couple of years worth of posts.

B2003

Old March 17th 05, 12:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Other countries manage compromise , its just in this hopeless
paranoid litigation driven culture that nothing can get done or has to
be put back 50 years because the inmates have taken over the asylum.
No doubt theres some pointless rule made up by some intellectual
midget that prevents my earlier suggestion from happening.

B2003

Old March 17th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Other countries manage compromise , its just in this hopeless
paranoid litigation driven culture that nothing can get done or has to
be put back 50 years because the inmates have taken over the asylum.
No doubt theres some pointless rule made up by some intellectual
midget that prevents my earlier suggestion from happening.

B2003

Shirley there could be some sort of transponder just under the platform
edges that could tie in to receivers on the doors in order to guarantee
that only doors adjacent to the platform would open ? Would this not
appease the HSE ?

Funnily enough, we were talking about this at work the other day.
Someone had suggested making trains longer to reduce overcrowding and
selective door opening to avoid lengthening platforms. When we pointed
out that this was not allowed, and he said - but what about the doors on
the other side of the train - what is to stop them opening accidentally?
Old March 17th 05, 09:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

matt wrote:
Boltar wrote:

[...]

Doesn't this lead to a massive dwell-time problem, as you have a lot of
passengers trying to disembark through a lower proportion of doors per
passenger? ISTR this is the answer constantly floated in this newsgroup
to the similar "why don't we have double-decker trains" question.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 18th 05, 01:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:25:59 +0000 (UTC), matt wrote:

Funnily enough, we were talking about this at work the other day.
Someone had suggested making trains longer to reduce overcrowding and
selective door opening to avoid lengthening platforms. When we pointed
out that this was not allowed, and he said - but what about the doors on
the other side of the train - what is to stop them opening accidentally?

Did he *really* say that?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9632874.html
(A 33/1+4-TC combination at London Waterloo: 33 104, 28 Mar 1981)