Old October 7th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Identification needed, please

On alt.binaries.pictures.rail I have posted this query and a photograph. The
photo is of the eastern side of the St Pancras trainshed. The strange object
at the bottom of the photo is the sleeve of the security guard who, for
reasons best known only to himself - probably National Security, was trying
to stop me taking this photo. The item I'd like identified is what looks
like the
mouth of a tunnel but I know there were no running tunnels there. Was it the
rail entrance to the milk dock or the beer cellars or what ?
I know I've posted a similar query before but got no response and just hope
that this time somebody with the answer will reply.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old October 7th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote in
message

On alt.binaries.pictures.rail I have posted this query and a photograph. The
photo is of the eastern side of the St Pancras trainshed. The strange object
at the bottom of the photo is the sleeve of the security guard who, for
reasons best known only to himself - probably National Security, was trying
to stop me taking this photo. The item I'd like identified is what looks
like the
mouth of a tunnel but I know there were no running tunnels there. Was it the
rail entrance to the milk dock or the beer cellars or what ?
I know I've posted a similar query before but got no response and just hope
that this time somebody with the answer will reply.
Cheerz,
Baz

I've picked the image up in alt.binaries.pictures.rail but on my
Telewest server it will (I think) disappear after 4 days. Might be
better to open up a free website such as 150m.com to store images.

Most people here looking at your thread will be interested in old St
Pancras, but we less-knowledgable types could do with links to maps and
historical information, almost everyone knows someone who has or had a
friend or relative working on the railways mid 19th Century or nowadays.

Old October 8th 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Marratxi wrote:
On alt.binaries.pictures.rail I have posted this query and a photograph. The
photo is of the eastern side of the St Pancras trainshed. The strange object
at the bottom of the photo is the sleeve of the security guard who, for
reasons best known only to himself - probably National Security, was trying
to stop me taking this photo. The item I'd like identified is what looks
like the
mouth of a tunnel but I know there were no running tunnels there. Was it the
rail entrance to the milk dock or the beer cellars or what ?
I know I've posted a similar query before but got no response and just hope
that this time somebody with the answer will reply.
Cheerz,
Baz

The picture is also available at http://m33p.be/gallery/u_t_l. I won't
be removing it any time soon (unless Marratxi doesn't want it there).

--
Robert Gordon
http://m33p.be
Old October 11th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robert Gordon" wrote in message

MY BIT SNIPPED (ouch !!)

The picture is also available at http://m33p.be/gallery/u_t_l. I won't
be removing it any time soon (unless Marratxi doesn't want it there).

--
Robert Gordon
http://m33p.be

Thanks, Robert, unfortunately no positive identification made despite my
message being on three newsgroups. I can't believe that nobody knows !!
Cheerz,
Baz

Old October 11th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote in
message

Thanks, Robert, unfortunately no positive identification made despite my
message being on three newsgroups. I can't believe that nobody knows !!
Cheerz,
Baz

Could it be the Fleet River? I cannot find a link for its course at that
point but it is certainly very close and travels N-S.

Old October 11th 04, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
ilgate.org, Troy
Steadman writes

"Marratxi" wrote in
message

Thanks, Robert, unfortunately no positive identification made despite my
message being on three newsgroups. I can't believe that nobody knows !!
Cheerz,
Baz

Could it be the Fleet River? I cannot find a link for its course at that
point but it is certainly very close and travels N-S.

That's a very good suggestion. "London Under London" records that the
Fleet flows beneath Pancras Way and the sketch map shows it passing to
the west of King's Cross station. Furthermore,

http://www.ctrl.co.uk/flyers/contract.asp?ID=5051

mentions recent CTRL work being carried out in connection with the Fleet
Sewer ... so I think you may well have identified the photo!

--
Paul Terry
Old October 11th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

That's a very good suggestion. "London Under London" records that the
Fleet flows beneath Pancras Way and the sketch map shows it passing to
the west of King's Cross station. Furthermore,

http://www.ctrl.co.uk/flyers/contract.asp?ID=5051

mentions recent CTRL work being carried out in connection with the Fleet
Sewer ... so I think you may well have identified the photo!

Yeh the white tiles suggest it might be a sewer and it is fenced off as
if it is deep.

http://m33p.be/gallery/u_t_l/Dsc02867a

Old October 12th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Troy Steadman" wrote in message
news:9965a7ddbe9c818b6bb25a4b0207a05c.125090@mygat e.mailgate.org...

Could it be the Fleet River? I cannot find a link for its course at that
point but it is certainly very close and travels N-S.

Thanks for that, Roy (and all the others). However, I don't think it can be
correct as it would mean that the Fleet River was at street level and I
don't believe it was/is. In fact, it can't be, because it passes underneath
the Regents Canal. I went to a talk on the workings involved with all the
alterations at Kings Cross/St Pancras and apparently the Fleet River has
been diverted through part of one of the old tunnels which used to connect
the widened lines with the suburban lines going north. I believe it used to
run down the present alignment of York Way. It couldn't have been the
westernmost one as that was being used by Thameslink until very recently and
would be close to the area in question but below ground. The other two
runnels came up either side of Kings Cross and I believe they used to carry
the Moorgate trains which now go via Finsbury Park/Drayton Park.
I only wish you had been right !!
Cheerz,
Baz

Old October 12th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message
ilgate.org, Troy
Steadman writes

"Marratxi" wrote in
message

Thanks, Robert, unfortunately no positive identification made despite

my
message being on three newsgroups. I can't believe that nobody knows !!
Cheerz,
Baz

Could it be the Fleet River? I cannot find a link for its course at that
point but it is certainly very close and travels N-S.

That's a very good suggestion. "London Under London" records that the
Fleet flows beneath Pancras Way and the sketch map shows it passing to
the west of King's Cross station. Furthermore,

http://www.ctrl.co.uk/flyers/contract.asp?ID=5051

mentions recent CTRL work being carried out in connection with the Fleet
Sewer ... so I think you may well have identified the photo!

--
Paul Terry

Pancras Road is on the east of the St Pancras trainshed whereas the place I
photographed is on the west, more than 100 yards away so I don't think
that's it. Thanks anyway.
Cheerz,
Baz

Old October 12th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marratxi" wrote in
message

I only wish you had been right !!
Cheerz,
Baz

You've got me at it now, what about the two tunnels in the wall facing
us? I've put together a scrapbook of maps and images which may help
including an 1827 map suggesting that The Fleet had been culverted even
then.

May take a few seconds to download:

http://www.stpancras.150m.com

Something this bloody enormous has *got* to be traceable. I'll be around
there on Thursday, I'll try and pop over and have a look at it.