Old November 2nd 04, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL 70% claim - can this be true?

I guess if we went to work so you could get to work then i'd need a service
from Thameslink..... Private enterprise so i think we have no chance.
Just as a matter of interest....how will you get to your 'office'?

"Q" wrote in message

"Jase" wrote in message
om...
From the TfL website:

**********************
We have not operated any Tubes on Christmas Day since 1982. There is
very little demand for services as the majority of Londoners do not
work on Christmas Day and over 70% of London's population leave the
capital during the festive period. Limited bus services operate
to/from the major airports and in central London. Please call Travel
Information on 020 7222 1234 to find out more.
**********************

70% ?? Can this really be true? So London's population (being ~8
million depending how you count) drops to ~2.4 million at Christmas?
Surely this cannot be true.

Its no help to those of us that *have* to work Christmas Day... No Busses,
no trains no LUL... And I have to get 12 miles from home to my office...

Joy...

---

Old November 2nd 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Q" wrote in message ...
"Jase" wrote in message
om...
From the TfL website:

**********************
We have not operated any Tubes on Christmas Day since 1982. There is
very little demand for services as the majority of Londoners do not
work on Christmas Day and over 70% of London's population leave the
capital during the festive period. Limited bus services operate
to/from the major airports and in central London. Please call Travel
Information on 020 7222 1234 to find out more.
**********************

70% ?? Can this really be true? So London's population (being ~8
million depending how you count) drops to ~2.4 million at Christmas?
Surely this cannot be true.

Its no help to those of us that *have* to work Christmas Day... No Busses,
no trains no LUL... And I have to get 12 miles from home to my office...

Joy...

But if TfL was to provide a full service then many more people would
*have* to work on Christmas Day in order to provide it.
Old November 2nd 04, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"UM Pston" wrote in message
om...
"Q" wrote in message

"Jase" wrote in message
om...
From the TfL website:

**********************
[...]

I wasn't thinking of a full service (or anything like it) Some sort of
service on some of the 'bigger' bus routes the N29 route would be very
helpful if they ran it Xmas *day*

In reply for the other post - I will either have to find someone who is
going in to the office from my end of the world, or ill have to fork out £35
(is it double on Xmas day for private hire?) for a cab to get me from home
to the office...

I will have to look at my roster and see what I am doing this year for
Xmas... just hope I'm not in... else it might be costly....

ho hum...

[boink]

---

Old November 2nd 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Does your employer not understand or appreciate you will have trouble, as
would anyone else, getting into your office? If they want to keep staff
surely they must be helpful in these circumstances? Big company or small
company?

"Q" wrote in message

"UM Pston" wrote in message
om...
"Q" wrote in message

"Jase" wrote in message
om...
From the TfL website:

**********************

Old November 2nd 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Q
writes

Its no help to those of us that *have* to work Christmas Day... No Busses,
no trains no LUL... And I have to get 12 miles from home to my office...

Not, that I suppose it's any consolation but, if it were to be offered
(to me as an LUL driver), I would be quite prepared to work Christmas
day - It's much the same as any other day to me.

Old November 3rd 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Q wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 2 Nov 2004:

In reply for the other post - I will either have to find someone who is
going in to the office from my end of the world, or ill have to fork out £35
(is it double on Xmas day for private hire?) for a cab to get me from home
to the office...

Surely your employer is aware that public transport doesn't run on
Christmas Day, and either makes appropriate arrangements, or compensates
you for the expense?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old November 3rd 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Steve Fitzgerald" ] wrote in message
snippitty I would be quite prepared to work Christmas
day - It's much the same as any other day to me.

Hmmm, apart from the triple time you mean, a Steve?...:-)
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Old November 3rd 04, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Q wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 2 Nov 2004:

In reply for the other post - I will either have to find someone who is
going in to the office from my end of the world, or ill have to fork out

£35
(is it double on Xmas day for private hire?) for a cab to get me from

home
to the office...

Surely your employer is aware that public transport doesn't run on
Christmas Day, and either makes appropriate arrangements, or compensates
you for the expense?
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 31 October 2004

There aware that my first train on a Sunday at 08:00 into town. Yet I'm
still expected to start my shift at 07:00 (Unless I can make other specific
arrangements with the person I'm relieving...)

As I have been told on several occasions before - since I chose not to drive
its my problem to get to and from work on time for whatever rostered shift
I'm on. If it means I have to leave my house 2 hours early then that's my
problem...

Slightly off topic but I had the same problem with builders working on my
building at home. (A year's major work) meaning I wouldn't be able to do
nights without significant problems. Armed with a letter from my local
authority (who's having the works done, and who refused to help me) I took
it to the powers that be - and they weren't interested... Its my problem. I
could either take a significant pay cut and come off shift work, or I could
'just get on with it' - Sufficed to say I had to just get on with it.

A result of the above means they wont compensate me for any travel (to/from
work) (Inter site is ok - but as I hold a season and have no tickets or
receipts for a lot of my travel it makes those in finance double check
everything I submit.

In general the last 2 Christmases I've worked someone has been able to sort
something out for me (A lift from family or someone at work) but the company
are not interested.

The same thing applies in the week for a 07:00 start - I have to make extra
effort to get in *before* 07:00 as the night person I'm taking over from has
to drive out of the CC Zone - (The company will pay the £5 CC...) but they
'encourage' us to make an effort where possible.

Fun fun... Oh and in answer to Malcolm & Nika, its a small company
contracting to a *very* large public service in London.

[Grr]

---

Old November 3rd 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oh dear....you obviously arent aware that there is no such thing as enhanced
pay rates or overtime when you are working for LUL as a driver. Statation
Staff can work overtime. So anyone working on a public holiday is just
counted as a normal working day, any day any time. 24 hour service this New
Year is not attracting a premium...volunteers have been sought. Thats why
the pay seems so good.....

k...

Old November 3rd 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Q wrote:
"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message
Q wrote to uk.transport.london on Tue, 2 Nov 2004:

In reply for the other post - I will either have to find someone
who is going in to the office from my end of the world, or ill
have to fork out £35 (is it double on Xmas day for private hire?)
for a cab to get me from home to the office...

Surely your employer is aware that public transport doesn't run on
Christmas Day, and either makes appropriate arrangements, or
compensates you for the expense?

There aware that my first train on a Sunday at 08:00 into town. Yet
I'm still expected to start my shift at 07:00 (Unless I can make
other specific arrangements with the person I'm relieving...)

As I have been told on several occasions before - since I chose not
to drive its my problem to get to and from work on time for
whatever rostered shift I'm on.

If you choose not to drive, why don't you also choose a job that doesn't
require you to start work on Sundays before public transport operates?
Or why not choose to live within walking distance of your work? It's
your choice.
--
Richard J.