Old October 24th 04, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default If bikes were licensed, where would the plate go, and how big?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:11:02 +0100, Usenet
said:

So - and I'm only going with this because I'm thinking about the
practicalities - all bikes should have mudguards, racks, or some kind of
frame to attach the plate to?

Obviously, if they are to be required to carry a licence plate, there
must be some place to attach it. Exactly how it's done is best left
to the manufacturers and owners, given the wide variety of ways of
constructing a bicycle.

Supplementary to this:
Would you want the plate(s) lit at night?
How does one do this?

With a light.

what do you think of the EL-wire idea?

All bicycles are required to show lights at night anyway. I suggest
using the same method for illuminating the licence plate.

Should all age-groups be licensed?

Yes. With the parents being resposible for the stupidity of their
small children.

You're not a parent, are you? No, neither am I, but I can see a flaw in
you're thinking there.

This was about *bikes* being licenced, not *riders* being licenced.
Look at the situation with cars. If my car is caught speeding, even
if I'm not driving it, *I* get the ticket unless I tell plod who else
was driving it. Presumably the parents would be the registered
keepers of their brats' bikes, and so would be responsible for any
naughtiness. If you're going to have a vehicle registration scheme,
exempting large groups from having to have their vehicles registered
is foolish. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Old October 24th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian typed

Usenet ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

So - and I'm only going with this because I'm thinking about the
practicalities - all bikes should have mudguards, racks, or some kind of
frame to attach the plate to?

Is there anything wrong with the saddle post? Or a bracket off one of the
rear frame members?

Some people have little or no saddle post exposed.
Some clothing obscures the saddle post.

Rear frame members are obscured by racks, panniers and child seats...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old October 24th 04, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , David Cantrell
writes

All bicycles are required to show lights at night anyway. I suggest
using the same method for illuminating the licence plate.

Should all age-groups be licensed?
Yes. With the parents being resposible for the stupidity of their
small children.

You're not a parent, are you? No, neither am I, but I can see a flaw in
you're thinking there.

I bought a car just after the catalytic convertor came into force.
Because in that year a lot of vehicles couldn't meet the regulations
each motorist had to pay for the conversions with the government just
sitting on their hand saying " Well this is what we were told could be
expected by the manufacturers" then refusing to pick up the bill. So
why shouldn't the biking lobby be so imposed upon?
--
Clive.
Old October 24th 04, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Adrian
writes
So - and I'm only going with this because I'm thinking about the
practicalities - all bikes should have mudguards, racks, or some kind of
frame to attach the plate to?

Is there anything wrong with the saddle post? Or a bracket off one of
the rear frame members?

Saddle post is out as luggage on rack often obscures it. Could fit one
to the back of the luggage rack (in my case). Many people don't have
racks, and attaching anything big to the RHS of the rear frame either
sticks out too far or obstructs pedalling.
Could make it of something flexible so it would flick back if struck.

How big do you want these to be? Same as a car/motorbike? Big enough to
be seen and reported if going through a red light :-)

Some-one mentioned the Dutch having to license their bikes, but I've
never seen anything that looking like one on the hundreds outside the
RAI station in Amsterdam.

--
Martin @ Strawberry Hill