Old October 25th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL odity

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:36:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jonn Elledge"
wrote:

Looking at my handy and informative central London bus map, I noticed
that the locations of several proposed East London Line stations
(Shoreditch, Hoxton, and possibly Haggerston as well) are inside the
zone 1 boundary.

I think it's unlikely that they'll remain there on the final line

why do you imagine that it is unlikely they'll stay in Zone 1?

What use is an orbital line if it passes through Zone 1?

What, you mean like how the NLL goes through zone 2?

Er... yeah? I was trying to point out that any journey passing through
Zone 1 incurs significant extra expense; therefore an orbital journey,
which probably will take longer than a journey via Z1, should *avoid* Z1
to make it more attractive economically.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old October 26th 04, 08:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Cummins
writes

My fastest route to work, from Forest Hill to Tolworth,
was almost certainly Forest Hill - London Bridge - Waterloo - Tolworth.

This would need a zone 1-5 ticket.

By going from Forest Hill - East Croydon - Clapham - Tolworth, I saved
over £30 a month and only needed a zone 2-5 ticket.

Travelling via East Croydon is at least as fast as going via Waterloo
according to the TFL journey planner.

I suspect it is also the shorter route, since travelling via London
Bridge would take you much too far north - Tolworth is SW of Forest
Hill.

--
Paul Terry
Old October 26th 04, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Paul Cummins
writes

My fastest route to work, from Forest Hill to Tolworth,
was almost certainly Forest Hill - London Bridge - Waterloo - Tolworth.

This would need a zone 1-5 ticket.

By going from Forest Hill - East Croydon - Clapham - Tolworth, I saved
over £30 a month and only needed a zone 2-5 ticket.

Travelling via East Croydon is at least as fast as going via Waterloo
according to the TFL journey planner.

Going Forest Hill - West Croydon - Tram to Wimbledon - Tolworth seems to be
the fastest route (though as the TfL JourneyPlanner has been down all
morning I can't check what it thinks), and you only need Z345 so saving more
money.

Dave.

Old October 26th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Liney wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In message , Paul Cummins
writes

My fastest route to work, from Forest Hill to Tolworth,
was almost certainly Forest Hill - London Bridge - Waterloo - Tolworth.

This would need a zone 1-5 ticket.

By going from Forest Hill - East Croydon - Clapham - Tolworth, I saved
over £30 a month and only needed a zone 2-5 ticket.

Travelling via East Croydon is at least as fast as going via Waterloo
according to the TFL journey planner.

Going Forest Hill - West Croydon - Tram to Wimbledon - Tolworth seems to be
the fastest route (though as the TfL JourneyPlanner has been down all
morning I can't check what it thinks), and you only need Z345 so saving more
money.

Dave.

TfL say 1h03 for that in the morning, going via East Croydon (going via
West Croydon involves two trams as West Croydon tramstop is eastbound only).

Interestingly you can make the journey with a single change during the
day. I had no idea there were direct trains between Forest Hill and
Victoria. Unfortunately the half-hourly arrival at Clapham Junction is
at exactly the same time as the half-hourly departure to Tolworth -
meaning if you can make a snappy change, your whole journey is only 40
mins - otherwise it's 1h10 including a 30-min wait.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old October 26th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Dave Liney wrote:

Going Forest Hill - West Croydon - Tram to Wimbledon - Tolworth seems to
be the fastest route (though as the TfL JourneyPlanner has been down all
morning I can't check what it thinks), and you only need Z345 so saving
more money.

TfL say 1h03 for that in the morning, going via East Croydon (going via
West Croydon involves two trams as West Croydon tramstop is eastbound
only).

Getting a tram from West Croydon to East Croydon to go west would be daft.
I've never done it but walking from West Croydon to Church Street tramstop
looks like 500m so a 5-6 minutes walk for the average person. And my quick
calculations suggested that the time of the WC trains plus tram journey time
fitted better with the Wimbledon-Tolworth half-hourly service.

Dave

Old October 26th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Looking at my handy and informative central London bus map, I noticed
that the locations of several proposed East London Line stations
(Shoreditch, Hoxton, and possibly Haggerston as well) are inside the
zone 1 boundary.

I think it's unlikely that they'll remain there on the final line

why do you imagine that it is unlikely they'll stay in Zone 1?

What use is an orbital line if it passes through Zone 1?

What, you mean like how the NLL goes through zone 2?

And what i should have said is "... through zone 2 at Acton Central", or,
better, "... through zone 3 at Hampstead Heath".

Er... yeah? I was trying to point out that any journey passing through
Zone 1 incurs significant extra expense; therefore an orbital journey,
which probably will take longer than a journey via Z1, should *avoid* Z1
to make it more attractive economically.

Absolutely. And ditto, although admittedly somewhat less strongly, for the
NLL.

The reason the NLL doesn't do this, and the reason the ELL might well not,
is that LU don't want people to be able to travel all the way across
London [1] on a single-zone ticket.

tom

[1] Exaggeration. Although Clapham Junction to Highbury & Islington isn't
bad.

--
Memes don't exist. Tell your friends.