Old October 26th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL odity

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:36:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jonn Elledge"
wrote:

Looking at my handy and informative central London bus map, I noticed
that the locations of several proposed East London Line stations
(Shoreditch, Hoxton, and possibly Haggerston as well) are inside the
zone 1 boundary.

I think it's unlikely that they'll remain there on the final line

why do you imagine that it is unlikely they'll stay in Zone 1?

What use is an orbital line if it passes through Zone 1?

What, you mean like how the NLL goes through zone 2?

And what i should have said is "... through zone 2 at Acton Central", or,
better, "... through zone 3 at Hampstead Heath".

I guess. But the difference between zones 1 & 2 is much more significant
than between zones 2 and 3 (specifically, £416 per year more significant
at current prices).

Er... yeah? I was trying to point out that any journey passing through
Zone 1 incurs significant extra expense; therefore an orbital journey,
which probably will take longer than a journey via Z1, should *avoid* Z1
to make it more attractive economically.

Absolutely. And ditto, although admittedly somewhat less strongly, for the
NLL.

The reason the NLL doesn't do this, and the reason the ELL might well not,
is that LU don't want people to be able to travel all the way across
London [1] on a single-zone ticket.

I guess they just have to strike a balance between revenue and passenger
numbers - as with any new railway! But if you live in Dalston and have
been offered the prospect of a new railway which will help get you to
work in Canary Wharf faster, then you discover it costs £308 per year
more than before... you may well say "no thanks".

[1] Exaggeration. Although Clapham Junction to Highbury & Islington isn't
bad.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old October 27th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

zone 1 boundary.

I think it's unlikely that they'll remain there on the final line

why do you imagine that it is unlikely they'll stay in Zone 1?

What use is an orbital line if it passes through Zone 1?

The reason the NLL doesn't do this, and the reason the ELL might well not,
is that LU don't want people to be able to travel all the way across
London [1] on a single-zone ticket.

tom

As far as I know, this was requested by Network SouthEast.