Old November 23rd 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default getting to Elstree

Tom Anderson typed

The OP might also consider asking the aerodrome brass if they have any
cunning ideas - they're more likely to know about this particular problem,
or at least the destination end of it, than anyone.

Shame there are no public buses serving Haberdashers Askes School. When
I were a lass, there were (private) coaches for the scholars from many
places, including Edgware Station...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
k...
This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.
I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.
After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;
Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.
Can anyone tell me a better way ?
Thanks
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Unfortunately my computer seems to have been hijacked by some crowd called
MYwebsearch - google for Elstree Airfield and there's bound to be a site
with directions,
Good luck,
Baz

Old November 23rd 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Marratxi wrote:
"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
k...

This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.
I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.
After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;
Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.
Can anyone tell me a better way ?
Thanks
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Unfortunately my computer seems to have been hijacked by some crowd called
MYwebsearch - google for Elstree Airfield and there's bound to be a site
with directions,
Good luck,
Baz

Elstree Airfield website seems to be broken, but the Internet Archive
pulls up a page with some info:
http://web.archive.org/web/200402151...o.uk/index.htm

They reckon taxi from Stanmore, taking 8 minutes. As for getting to
Stanmore... 232 to Neasden then Jubilee? Other people's suggestions
might be more useful.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old November 23rd 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

It was a dark and stormy night when Marratxi
PAMfreeserve.co.uk wrote in article

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
. uk...
This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.
I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.
After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;
Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.
Can anyone tell me a better way ?
Thanks
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Unfortunately my computer seems to have been hijacked by some crowd called
MYwebsearch - google for Elstree Airfield and there's bound to be a site
with directions,
Good luck,

You might find this page useful...

http://www.mac-net.com/445088.page

Grebbsy
--
"All vampires suck, but not all who suck are vampires."
(--B.J.Kuehl)

:::Grebbsy :::::::lemon curry?:::
Old November 23rd 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:23:13 GMT, "Edward Cowling"
wrote:

This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

Well the bus option seems to be 34 to Barnet and the 107 to Allum Lane /
Watling Street and then a walk.

Alternatively just take the 107 to Elstree Station and get a taxi.

The only local bus that goes anywhere near is from the Watford direction
and is the W12 that runs on a one way loop. It is very infrequent but
may possibly be of some use. This level of service simply shows that we
don't know how lucky we are in London!

http://ukbus.u-net.co.uk/cgi/jp.exe?c=hert&x=0&s=N& and enter W12 in the
route number box.

The rail options are pretty limited - you could go to New Barnet to pick
up the 107 from outside as it starts from there but otherwise you face
going back on yourself in order to connect into something like
Thameslink as others have said.

Be warned that the school run traffic near Borehamwood / Aldenham can be
absolutely horrendous so if your travels coincide with this make sure
you allow for extra time - including the taxi element.
--
Paul C

Old November 23rd 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:56:03 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

Tom Anderson typed

The OP might also consider asking the aerodrome brass if they have any
cunning ideas - they're more likely to know about this particular problem,
or at least the destination end of it, than anyone.

Shame there are no public buses serving Haberdashers Askes School. When
I were a lass, there were (private) coaches for the scholars from many
places, including Edgware Station...

There still are....

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old November 23rd 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:

Marratxi wrote:

[...]

http://web.archive.org/web/200402151...k/Arrivals.htm

This page seems to imply they know the number of a good taxi firm too...
so might be worth giving them a ring...
Old November 23rd 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

They reckon taxi from Stanmore, taking 8 minutes.

They probably mean minicab. Although there is a taxi rank in Stanmore, I
have never seen a taxi in it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

getting from Heathrow Gazeta London Transport 16 May 28th 04 09:13 AM
Getting to Kew Tim London Transport 10 February 25th 04 09:09 AM
Buses Are Getting Better John Rowland London Transport 1 February 2nd 04 09:25 AM
Buses Are Getting Better John Rowland London Transport 1 February 1st 04 09:29 PM
Getting from Finchley to Bank with no Northern Line Andy Coleman London Transport 5 October 23rd 03 07:43 PM