Old November 22nd 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default getting to Elstree

This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

Thanks

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old November 22nd 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
k...

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

If you're going on one of the 130 quid helicopter rides over London, lucky
you!

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Ouch.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

251 or 221 to Edgware and then a taxi.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 22nd 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling wrote:

This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

Flying? :-)

The TFL Journey Planner comes up with several routes, but they all have
a taxi at the end (either from Stanmore, Elstree & Borehamwood or Bushey).

The destination postcode (in case you want to try and change the Journey
Planner search options and see what else comes up) is WD6 3AW.

Old November 22nd 04, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" wrote in message
k...
This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

I don't think there is any public transport there but Elstree & Borehamwood
(Thameslink) would be a shorter taxi ride away than Watford Junction.

Peter Smyth

Old November 22nd 04, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Edward Cowling" typed

This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

Thanks

If you have a *lot* of time, you could take a 251 bus from Arnos Grove
to Mill Hill Hill Broadway and then Thameslink to Elstree & Borehamwood.
You'd probably need a taxi from there.

If you have time *and* are energetic/mad, take the 251 all the way to
Edgware and then take the 107 to the junction of Allum lane and Watling
Street. Then there's a 25 minute walk...

Do as I do. Enter local minicab phone numbers into your mobile...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old November 22nd 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Edward Cowling wrote:
This group has been incredibly helpful in the
past, so I thought I'd try this strange one.

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome
on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can
come up with on public transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

Always ready to help out Lord Genghis of IBBS, especially as a few years
ago I emigrated to Watford.

A quick check on Mapsource gives the following distances, to Elstree
Aerodrome (which is in the middle of nowhere..)

Watford Junction (Rail) 6.5 miles
Stanmore (Tube) 4.2 miles
Elstree and Borehamwood (Rail) 2.8 miles

So I guess it's whichever one is more convenient in terms of your
routing from N13, if it's early, why not try and chat up you local mini
cab firm, it's only 12.5 miles from Palmers Green High Road and that may
well be a less hassle option, just a thought.

If you choose the Stanmore option then Jubilee Cars are based at the top
of the station steps, or were last time I used them a little while back
0208 954 8000

Respect to my Lord... from those 2400 baud days, of green screens, OLEF
and other things most ancient.
Old November 22nd 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Helen Deborah Vecht typed

If you have time *and* are energetic/mad, take the 251 all the way to
Edgware and then take the 107 to the junction of Allum lane and Watling
Street. Then there's a 25 minute walk...

OOOOPPPSSS sorry, misread my map! it's over two mile, so forget this
suggestion.
Apologies.

Old November 23rd 04, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Edward Cowling wrote:

I have to get from N13 to Elstree Aerodrome on Wednesday morning.

After looking at various maps the best I can come up with on public
transport is ;

Train to Watford Junction and get a taxi.

I'm confused. How the hell do you get to Watford Junction? The best i can
see is Great Northern to Highbury & Islington, Victoria to Euston, then
Silverlink to Watford J, which is a bit indirect!

Can anyone tell me a better way ?

TBH, i think a minicab's going to be the weapon of choice.

If you wanted to take a train, GN to KX and TL to E&B's OK.

ObBike: you could cycle. I reckon it'll be a shade over ten miles over the
ground, which is under an hour's ride, if the route's decent and you're in
reasonable shape. Quite a slog, though. Also, i have no idea what the
hills are like round there.

tom

--
Don't trust the laws of men. Trust the laws of mathematics.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Barry Salter wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:41:30 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

If you wanted to take a train, GN to KX and TL to E&B's OK.

Except wagn "Inners" run through to Moorgate on weekdays, not Kings
Cross.

Oops! I didn't realise that; i thought they were a mix. In which case, add
a change at FP.

The OP might also consider asking the aerodrome brass if they have any
cunning ideas - they're more likely to know about this particular problem,
or at least the destination end of it, than anyone.

tom

--
vote love

Old November 23rd 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson typed

ObBike: you could cycle. I reckon it'll be a shade over ten miles over the
ground, which is under an hour's ride, if the route's decent and you're in
reasonable shape. Quite a slog, though. Also, i have no idea what the
hills are like round there.

Well, Elstree Hill (A5, Watling Street) had 20% warning signs on it when
I last cycled there, though it didn't feel *that* steep...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

getting from Heathrow Gazeta London Transport 16 May 28th 04 09:13 AM
Getting to Kew Tim London Transport 10 February 25th 04 09:09 AM
Buses Are Getting Better John Rowland London Transport 1 February 2nd 04 09:25 AM
Buses Are Getting Better John Rowland London Transport 1 February 1st 04 09:29 PM
Getting from Finchley to Bank with no Northern Line Andy Coleman London Transport 5 October 23rd 03 07:43 PM