London Banter

-   -   Late-night Tube plan announced (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2436-late-night-tube-plan-announced.html)

Sir Benjamin Nunn November 26th 04 01:43 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Dave Liney" wrote in message
.. .

"Sir Benjamin Nunn" wrote in message

What about people who've been out on Saturday, but whose trains (or
****ing replacement coaches) arrive late back into London?

All the operators are guilty, but thinking specifically of Virgin Trains
West Coast mainline, it is not unlikely for trains from Glasgow,
Liverpool etc. to be delayed by more than an hour or two throughout the
course of their journey?

The /last/ thing I want to do when I've been travelling for about six
hours is to have to extended my journey further via a combination of
night buses to get to my destination.

When I was delayed by 1.5 hours coming into Euston on the last train and
so had missed the last tube Virgin paid for a taxi back to Clapham for me.
I thought that was standard.

When I was delayed by 4 hours on a ****ing rubbish coach, they said there
would be someone there at Euston to arrange taxis. There wasn't.

We all had to arrange and pay for our own taxis, and I'm still waiting to be
reimbursed.

BTN

Sir Benjamin Nunn November 26th 04 03:15 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Chris" wrote in message
om...

The /last/ thing I want to do when I've been travelling for about six
hours
is to have to extended my journey further via a combination of night
buses
to get to my destination.

So I presume you are for the extended openning then?

Very much so.

Ideally, I'd like to see some sort of 24-hour service, or at the very least
high-speed replacement nightbuses that only called at the stations.

BTN

Colin Rosenstiel November 28th 04 04:53 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney then?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Dave Arquati November 29th 04 05:07 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but accidentally
corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to be Baker Street to
Roehampton.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin Rosenstiel November 29th 04 07:26 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article ,
(Dave
Arquati) wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but accidentally
corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to be Baker Street to
Roehampton.

Thanks. I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as crossing
the centre either as it happens.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Dave Arquati November 29th 04 07:57 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Dave
Arquati) wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but accidentally
corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to be Baker Street to
Roehampton.

Thanks. I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as crossing
the centre either as it happens.

Depends on your definition of the centre! It enters the congestion
charging zone and it spends a significant portion of its journey in Zone 1.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Tom Anderson November 29th 04 09:32 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Dave
Arquati) wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but accidentally
corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to be Baker Street to
Roehampton.

Thanks. I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as crossing
the centre either as it happens.

Depends on your definition of the centre! It enters the congestion
charging zone and it spends a significant portion of its journey in Zone
1.

Doesn't go anywhere central, though, does it? Hyde Park Corner? Park Lane?
Marble Arch? All distinctly west. You've spent too much time at Kensington
Polytechnic (or whatever it's called these days), young man!

tom

--
Gin makes a man mean; let's booze up and riot!

Dave Arquati November 29th 04 11:34 PM

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Dave
Arquati) wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction - Kilburn) which
cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but accidentally
corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to be Baker Street to
Roehampton.

Thanks. I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as crossing
the centre either as it happens.

Depends on your definition of the centre! It enters the congestion
charging zone and it spends a significant portion of its journey in Zone
1.

Doesn't go anywhere central, though, does it? Hyde Park Corner? Park Lane?
Marble Arch? All distinctly west.

Don't say that to all those bloody tourists queueing at Gloucester Road
on a Saturday morning for day travelcards. They might think their hotels
weren't central enough.

You've spent too much time at Kensington
Polytechnic (or whatever it's called these days), young man!

Well, they didn't produce 14 Nobel laureates by letting the students
stay at home all day...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Colin Rosenstiel November 30th 04 12:03 AM

wrote:

I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as
crossing the centre either as it happens.

Depends on your definition of the centre! It enters the congestion
charging zone and it spends a significant portion of its journey in
Zone 1.

Doesn't cross Zone 1 and emerge the other side though.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Richard J. November 30th 04 12:18 AM

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article , (Dave
Arquati) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Dave
Arquati) wrote:

You have routes like the N74 (Roehampton - Putney), N28
(Wandsworth - Camden Town) and N31 (Clapham Junction -
Kilburn) which cross the centre without terminating.

How does the N74 cross the centre between Roehampton and Putney
then?

Oops. I was trying to correct Putney to Roehampton, but
accidentally corrected Baker Street to Roehampton. It's meant to
be Baker Street to Roehampton.

Thanks. I'm not sure I even count Roehampton to Baker Street as
crossing the centre either as it happens.

Depends on your definition of the centre! It enters the congestion
charging zone and it spends a significant portion of its journey
in Zone 1.

Doesn't go anywhere central, though, does it? Hyde Park Corner?
Park Lane? Marble Arch? All distinctly west.

Considering that Hyde Park Corner was at one time the point from which
distances from London were measured (before being replaced for that task
by Charing Cross), it would seem to eminently central.
--
Richard J.