London Banter

-   -   Late-night Tube plan announced (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2436-late-night-tube-plan-announced.html)

Richard J. November 22nd 04 09:51 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

--
Richard J.

redtube November 23rd 04 10:03 AM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"Richard J." wrote in message
.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

Phil Richards November 23rd 04 10:44 AM

redtube wrote:

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said.

Oh yeah are they going to put the idea to the Train Ops as well?

So a change to rosters, perhaps. What's wrong with that? Most staff who
finish work late in the day will still have to rely upon getting home by
car or night bus with the existing arrangements, I can't see what extra
difficulties will be met with finishing say an hour or two later two
nights a week.

It seems the case is clear. You can have a later closed close down time
at Weekends at the expense of a later start up time the following
mornings? Perhaps we ought to be questioning whether or not the
maintenance work can be fitted around slightly longer operational hours
by retaining existing start up times and for two nights a week just
loosing an hour or two at the end of the day.

--
Phil Richards
Strod Green, London

LarryLard November 23rd 04 11:22 AM

"Richard J." wrote in message o.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users, and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

Fustanella November 23rd 04 12:11 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of

How can it be called being "extended" when the closed hours are just
shifting?

Kevin November 23rd 04 02:32 PM

Phil Richards wrote in message ET...
redtube wrote:

[...]

I really don't see this coming off. A few late over running
engineering works and you wont see the first underground trains until
after 8am. I can see London businesses tolerating that just so a few
party goers on a Friday night don't need to get a taxi home.
But typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Tom Anderson November 23rd 04 05:37 PM

On 23 Nov 2004, Kevin wrote:

typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

Which is what? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

tom

--
REMOVE AND DESTROY

Phil Richards November 23rd 04 06:20 PM

Kevin wrote:

I really don't see this coming off. A few late over running
engineering works and you wont see the first underground trains until
after 8am. I can see London businesses tolerating that just so a few
party goers on a Friday night don't need to get a taxi home.

A "few" party goers? According to the figures on the BBC site 140,000
would use a later running tube service. 55,000 use the tube on during the
first hour of the weekend.

But typical of this country to treat the symptom and not the cause.

So your solution would be?

Chris November 23rd 04 07:01 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users, and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

I thought it was in the bye-laws that you can't be intoxicated and
travel on the tube

umpston November 23rd 04 08:18 PM

Late-night Tube plan announced

"LarryLard" wrote in message
om...
"Richard J." wrote in message

o.uk...
BBC news report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4031397.stm

"A plan to run London Underground services for an extra hour on Friday
and Saturday nights will be put to Londoners, the Mayor has said. The
last Tube would run at 1.30am, but [the Tube] would not start running
until an hour later the next day to allow time for maintenance work.

TfL will consult Tube users, businesses and workers about the plans over
the coming months. If approved, services would be extended by the end of
2006."

Something makes me suspect that wannabe-late-night-tube-users will be
more vocal during the consultation period than
already-early-morning-tube-users,

Well there are more of them, with a corresponding late-night economic
benefit to London.

and we will end up with an hour more
of ****ed people and an hour less of useful workers, but that's just
me being cynical I guess.

Yes you are. There is no need for an hour less of useful workers - in
todays "can do" society companies can just change their shifts to match the
tubes. Or helpfully advise their employees to get bikes. Anybody else has
no business to be up at such unearthly hours on the weekend.