London Banter

-   -   Class 376 deployment questions (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2455-class-376-deployment-questions.html)

MIG December 3rd 04 12:11 AM

Class 376 deployment questions

"Peter Masson" wrote in message ...
"MIG" wrote in message
om...

What was the problem with Lewisham? The platforms were extended and
the signals were moved as far as I can remember.

Your memory may well be better than mine. ISTR early on in the programme
that Lewisham was one of the 'difficult' stations, and I had sort of assumed
that it was one they never got round to. Did they extend all four platforms?
Peter

I'm pretty sure they did, but maybe they didn't move all the signals
etc. Next time I'm there with my walking boots on ...

MIG December 4th 04 08:02 PM

"MIG" wrote in message
om...

What was the problem with Lewisham? The platforms were extended and
the signals were moved as far as I can remember.

Your memory may well be better than mine. ISTR early on in the programme
that Lewisham was one of the 'difficult' stations, and I had sort of assumed
that it was one they never got round to. Did they extend all four platforms?
Peter

I'm pretty sure they did, but maybe they didn't move all the signals
etc. Next time I'm there with my walking boots on ...

Yes, all the signals are moved as well.

The entrances, the information displays and the station office are all
at the Central London end. The extensions were all at the other end.
Trains towards Central London on platforms 1 and 3 seem to stop at the
end of the platform, regardless of train length, which makes sense.
The situation is different with the platforms leading away from
London.

At platform 2, there are 8, 6, 5 and 4 stops at the same place, about
four coach lengths from the far end. There is a 10 stop about two
coach lengths from the end. So eight and ten car trains may hang back
to the end of the station where people are. I couldn't see a 12 stop,
and in any case the far end of the platform isn't used, but the signal
is beyond the end of the plaform.

At platform 4, there are 6, 5 and 4 stops about four coach lengths
from the far end and 8, 10 and 12 stops right at the far end. These
leaves the back end not used at all, and usually results in trains
whizzing past at least four coach lengths of the part of the platform
where people are most likely to be waiting, leaving potential
passengers to chase them if they are capable of doing so.

All these years on, people still don't expect the trains not to use
the part of the platform where the entrance and all the information
displays are.

Colin Rosenstiel December 5th 04 02:10 PM

Class 376 deployment questions

In article ,
(MIG) wrote:

"S R" wrote in message
I can't see any reason why they'd diagram in such a way to be 376
only, but it could be done in theory, which is why I assume the OP
asked the question.

My reason for asking was concern that routes limited by platform
length to 8-car trains would see all their peak-period 6- and 8-car
trains replaced by 5-car trains.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. History shows a reduction in length
when new stock is introduced.

I guess we can take it that the introduction of five-car units is a
confirmation that we will never see the twelve-car trains for which
all those platforms were extended.

Maybe there has been an improvement in availability, but only in the
last couple of years has the peak-hour train length finally started to
increase (to a maximum of ten), after the general reduction in length
when the "Networkers" were introduced.

It was galling to have to stand in shorter trains when they were
introduced, having gone through all that disruption to extend the
platforms for the "longer Networker trains".

Soon after, some twelve-car slam-door trains on Ramsgate/Margate
services to Cannon Street were replaced by eight-car 365s. Did the
365s ever run in longer formations than that? I can't remember seeing
one.

I've see 12-car 365 formations on King's Cross-Peterborough workings.

--
Colin Rosenstiel