Old December 10th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line on Friday

2 trains stabled in Brixton every night. Also Walthamstow, but they are no
help to the south end.

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On 10 Dec 2004 02:33:43 -0800, wrote:

The Victoria Line was out of action from Seven Sisters to Victoria due
to engineering work at Highbury this morning. Now unless trains could
get from Northumberland Park to the southern section why wasn't the
reversals at Warren St and Kings Cross used.

Can you tell me how much of a service could be run with possibly 4
trains (not sure what stables remotely and where on the Vic) between
Brixton and say Warren St or Kings Cross?

It would be demonstrably unsafe to allow passengers to flood onto
Victoria Line platforms at places like Green Park or Euston with a 10 or
15 minute headway service operating. It gets very busy with a 1-2 min
headway.

You might not like that answer and I would agree that the Vic Line being
closed as it was is unacceptable but it would be folly to try to operate
a service that was not capable of being safely operated.

Is this the new improved underground that we were promised (and paying
through the nose for)

No it is not new or improved when a major disruption like this happens.
However money clearly is being spent on the Victoria Line tracks as
there are stretches where new sleepers and track have been installed and
the rail grinder is currently operating to provide a smoother, quieter
ride. It's a long way from perfect but there are plenty of people
trying to make things better. You may well have a different view.
--
Paul C

Old December 12th 04, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:55:14 +0000, Paul Weaver
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:53:52 +0000, Dave Newt wrote:

wrote:
I bet that there was a lot of them. More cost effective to bus the
dozen or passengers I would have thought.

You're joking, yeah? I take it you haven't been there on a weekday
morning. There are very often no seats by Blackhorse Road.

Most of those on the seats are going to Zone 1. If the service ends at
severn sisters, they'd have to change onto national rail.

Well I opted for a bus to Turnpike Lane and then the Tube. Strangely the
buses were not inundated as they usually are when there's a problem on
the Victoria Line so I assume that people did find the service between
Walthamstow and Seven Sisters some use.

IIRC, All stations North of Seven Sisters has national rail lines into
Liverpool street (and nowhere else), so theres no benefit. Perhaps going
to Tottenham Hale and changing to get to Stansted.

There are plenty of bus links from the stations on the north end of the
line as well as NR links. You would find that the Victoria Line would be
far busier on this section if the parallel bus services were reduced or
removed. There are very large numbers of people who travel between
Walthamstow and Seven Sisters and beyond by bus (123 or 230) or who
change to other buses heading north or south or west at Tottenham Hale
(41 and 192) or Seven Sisters (41 plus the obvious routes to Edmonton
and Enfield as well as into town).

Of course, the 50 or so an hour that use the Victoria Line between these
stations (and not furthur) could be sent by bus, but that would take
forever, and that's not why they buy season tickets.

It doesn't take forever by bus (loads of people opt to use the bus in
preference to the tube) and there are certainly more than 50 people per
hour using the tube just over this section.
--
Paul C

Old December 14th 04, 03:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Dec 2004 07:39:40 -0800, wrote:

I bet that there was a lot of them. More cost effective to bus the
dozen or passengers I would have thought.

What on earth is this a reply to?

Learn to quote from the original message if you must make such
profound insights...

--
Cheers,

Jason.
Old December 15th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message
He may well be using the new Google service, which seems to ignore
accepted Usenet convention.

HE is (see the headers). Outlook express has done this for years, sadly it's
the only usenet client approved for use here at work and takes a mighty
effort to fix it for every reply. At least I remember to snip irellevent
problems.

Of course Jason's newsreader should thread the messages accordingly, where
it's easy to see the original post.

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old December 17th 04, 08:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:

He may well be using the new Google service, which seems to ignore
accepted Usenet convention.

HE is (see the headers). Outlook express has done this for years,
sadly it's the only usenet client approved for use here at work and
takes a mighty effort to fix it for every reply.

If you apply the OE-Quotefix patch, the problem goes away

Old December 22nd 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:38:44 +0000, Stimpy wrote:

Paul Weaver wrote:

He may well be using the new Google service, which seems to ignore
accepted Usenet convention.

HE is (see the headers). Outlook express has done this for years,
sadly it's the only usenet client approved for use here at work and
takes a mighty effort to fix it for every reply.

If you apply the OE-Quotefix patch, the problem goes away

Ahh, but that would break the Computer Use policies. While I'll "bend"
them enough to be able to do my job (i.e. vnc, putty, mozilla etc), I
don't think modifiying a usenet client would qualify . If it would, I'd
install a decent client.

--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.