Old December 10th 04, 09:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Victoria Line on Friday

The Victoria Line was out of action from Seven Sisters to Victoria due
to engineering work at Highbury this morning. Now unless trains could
get from Northumberland Park to the southern section why wasn't the
reversals at Warren St and Kings Cross used.
I know that a couple of weeks ago the Victoria Line was f**ked because
an engineering train had been dumped in the reversing siding at Kings
Cross.
Is this the new improved underground that we were promised (and paying
through the nose for)

Kevin

Old December 10th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

LUL do whatevers less hassle for LUL, not whats more convenient for
passengers.
Haven't you noticed that whenever theres some show stopper on any line
they
shut wholes swathes of the line , not just the bit between the nearest
crossovers.
No doubt LUL or one of the PPP vultures would come up with some fatuous
safety case
to explain it.

Old December 10th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
LUL do whatevers less hassle for LUL, not whats more convenient for
passengers.
Haven't you noticed that whenever theres some show stopper on any

line
they
shut wholes swathes of the line , not just the bit between the

nearest
crossovers.
No doubt LUL or one of the PPP vultures would come up with some

fatuous
safety case
to explain it.

All right - let's take the Victoria Line as an example.

Say there's a bomb alert at Oxford Circus Victoria and the station has
to be closed completely with all Victoria Line services suspended.
Who's to say that use of the trailing crossover at Warren Street could
be a risk to the safety of the drivers?

Take the Piccadilly for example. Disaster at KxStP results in Hyde Park
Corner to Arnos Grove being suspended because the crossover is missing
at Covent Garden. If things get really bad services might cut back to
Hammersmith!

Admittedly the age of the infrastructure and the lack of maintenance
during the previous regime is partially responsible for many of the
SNAFUs seen on LU, but keep in mind that in some cases it's missing
infrastructure, not knackered infrastructure.

Old December 10th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Boltar wrote:
[...]

What the hell as all that got to do with this morning's problems. The
only possible reason I could see was than:
Trains couldn't get from Northumberland Park to the southern section.
The engineers train that some idiot had dumped at Kings Cross was still
there.
The Warren St crossover was out of action.

Another thing, what was the point of shuttling trains from Walthamstow
to Seven Sisters. To stop the drivers from getting bored no doubt. Mind
you thaye could have gone and had a quick game of squash.

Kevin

Old December 10th 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...
Another thing, what was the point of shuttling trains from Walthamstow
to Seven Sisters. To stop the drivers from getting bored no doubt. Mind
you thaye could have gone and had a quick game of squash.

Sorry, did I miss something, but perhaps it was to allow travellers between
Walthamstow and Seven Sisters to travel?

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.

Old December 10th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I bet that there was a lot of them. More cost effective to bus the
dozen or passengers I would have thought.

Kevin

Old December 10th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
ups.com...

Another thing, what was the point of shuttling
trains from Walthamstow to Seven Sisters.
To stop the drivers from getting bored no doubt.

In a single thread you have
* Slagged LU off for closing more line than YOU felt was necessary
* Slagged LU off for not closing a different part of the line.

You lose.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 10th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Dec 2004 02:33:43 -0800, wrote:

The Victoria Line was out of action from Seven Sisters to Victoria due
to engineering work at Highbury this morning. Now unless trains could
get from Northumberland Park to the southern section why wasn't the
reversals at Warren St and Kings Cross used.

Can you tell me how much of a service could be run with possibly 4
trains (not sure what stables remotely and where on the Vic) between
Brixton and say Warren St or Kings Cross?

It would be demonstrably unsafe to allow passengers to flood onto
Victoria Line platforms at places like Green Park or Euston with a 10 or
15 minute headway service operating. It gets very busy with a 1-2 min
headway.

You might not like that answer and I would agree that the Vic Line being
closed as it was is unacceptable but it would be folly to try to operate
a service that was not capable of being safely operated.

Is this the new improved underground that we were promised (and paying
through the nose for)

No it is not new or improved when a major disruption like this happens.
However money clearly is being spent on the Victoria Line tracks as
there are stretches where new sleepers and track have been installed and
the rail grinder is currently operating to provide a smoother, quieter
ride. It's a long way from perfect but there are plenty of people
trying to make things better. You may well have a different view.
--
Paul C

Old December 10th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I bet that there was a lot of them. More cost effective to bus the
dozen or passengers I would have thought.

You're joking, yeah? I take it you haven't been there on a weekday
morning. There are very often no seats by Blackhorse Road.