Old December 20th 04, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

"Mait001" wrote in message

They've been putting in lifts at Brixton Station for
about the last two years!

It took even longer to do this to the District Line platforms
at Earl's Court, and that didn't even invove any tunnelling!

Has the lift on the District southbound at West Brompton gone in yet?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 20th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(John Rowland) wrote:

What retrospective legislation has been passed?

Removal of peerage on conviction...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old December 20th 04, 11:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

My law Degree is almost 20 years old now! I got it at a time when jury
trial
was sacrosanct, innocence till found guilty, no dentention without trial,
Cabinet government, no restrospective legislation .... How old-fashioned

all
of this now seems!

What retrospective legislation has been passed?

Who is not innocent till found guilty?

Your first question: all legislation that criminalises conduct which, at the
time it was performed, was not a criminal act; e.g. Sexual Offences Act 2003,
which criminalises certain conduct restrospectively.

Your second question: the same Act is an example: people (usually men) can now
be subjected to a Sexual Offences Prevention Order even if acquitted of the
offence with which they have been charged. The Order can prohibit anything from
travelling on public transport to owning or using a telephone, camera,
computer, television: there is no exhaustive list so the Court an literally
order anything at all.

Another example is the various money laundering and proceeds of crime
legislation that requires someone to prove that money or property they have in
their possession is not the proceeds of crime: unless it is so proved it is
confiscated by the State.

And, under the new proposals, we will all be deemed "non persons" until we can
prove, by production of an identity card, who we are.

Marc.
Old December 20th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

They've been putting in lifts at Brixton Station for
about the last two years!

It took even longer to do this to the District Line platforms
at Earl's Court, and that didn't even invove any tunnelling!

Has the lift on the District southbound at West Brompton gone in yet?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

I didn't know that this was happening, but I did see a lost of scaffolding when
I last passed there a few weeks ago. Whatever they do, I hope they don't remove
the historic "VV" West Brompton signs near the staircase there.

Marc.
Old December 20th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
And they'll be even more annoyed if they ever find out that LU shut T4
station a day early just so they can get their trains all pointing the
"right way around", when every Picc depot seems to have coped fine with
trains in random directions every night since 1987.

--
John Rowland

This is just luck that no train has broken down in a tube section and
need assistance from the rear.
--
Clive.

Old December 20th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Who is not innocent till found guilty?

--
John Rowland

The "possible" terrorists in Belmarsh prison.
--
Clive.
Old December 20th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

I believe even in the tunnel to Bank for an underground
station to replace Tower Gateway, which was originally
going to be closed in favour of Bank, but DLR decided
operationally that it was too useful to close.

Do you have any (pointers to) more information on this?

The flat straight spot between two very steep curved sections is quite
obvious if you ride the DLR to or from Bank, especially if you sit in
the front.

Is that right after the junction with the Tower Gateway branch,
immediately south of Tower Gateway station? That's the only likely-looking
straight bit i can see on the (admittedly quite poor) maps i can find.
Although it is on the right tunnel, sadly, it's even further from
Fenchurch Street than Tower Gateway - although perhaps closer to Tower
Hill.

tom

--
It involves police, bailiffs, vampires and a portal to hell under a tower block in Hackney.

Old December 20th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Clive Coleman
writes

And they'll be even more annoyed if they ever find out that LU shut T4
station a day early just so they can get their trains all pointing the
"right way around", when every Picc depot seems to have coped fine
with trains in random directions every night since 1987.

This is just luck that no train has broken down in a tube section and
need assistance from the rear.

That bit's easy to do. I've known pushouts to happen two or three times
in the past three years. Mechanical coupling isn't the problem, it's
getting the two bits of train to talk to each other electrically that
needs them to be correctly aligned.

An 'A' end unit won't/can't talk to another 'A' end unit, just a 'D' end
one, and the 'D' end units can't talk to another 'D' end unit, just an
'A' end one. The three car units (half a train) are frequently split
and re-coupled in depots and this would be a nightmare if all the trains
were different ways round. As I pointed out earlier, this is currently
got round by sending a train round the loop to turn it if required.
After 8th Jan, this won't be possible so they are making sure they all
face the same way before the event, so we'll be just like all the other
lines (well, most of them anyway).