Old December 19th 04, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow Piccadilly Line Closure

"Mait001" wrote in message

I have just read the TFL leaflet "Heathrow by Tue"

Rats, my plane leaves on Monday.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Nice one John: I have a VERY sticky keyboard!

(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Marc.

Old December 19th 04, 12:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

"Mait001" wrote in message

I have just read the TFL leaflet "Heathrow by Tue"

Rats, my plane leaves on Monday.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Nice one John: I have a VERY sticky keyboard!

(That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Even if you don't stick to the keyboard...... next time, don't read
Usenet with a mouthful of sweet coffee....
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 19th 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

I believe even in the tunnel to Bank for an underground station to
replace Tower Gateway, which was originally going to be closed in favour
of Bank, but DLR decided operationally that it was too useful to close.

That's interesting. Do you have any (pointers to) more information on
this? I've often thought it would make more sense to have the Fenchurch St
station on the same branch as Bank - you'd double the frequency to both.

tom

--
3.141592666666 and then it's just all sixes for the other 298 digits. Then after that there's just hieroglyphs of scary eyes.

Old December 19th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

I believe even in the tunnel to Bank for an underground
station to replace Tower Gateway, which was originally
going to be closed in favour of Bank, but DLR decided
operationally that it was too useful to close.

Do you have any (pointers to) more information on this?

The flat straight spot between two very steep curved sections is quite
obvious if you ride the DLR to or from Bank, especially if you sit in the
front.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 19th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
John Rowland wrote:

If I'm understanding this correctly, this info seems to
significantly reduce the wastage involved in building
a step plate junction which will never be used as a
junction, but doesn't seem to completely eliminate it.

There may also be a connection from the T4 loop to
the westbound T123-T5 track, which I guess wil be rarely used.
Is that what you were referring to?

Yes.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 19th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
TheOneKEA wrote:
Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

The plan is to turn all trains on the last day the loop will be
available to us. Anything left over, I'm told arrangements
will be made for a Picc driver (Acton, I gather so no unusual
moves for me :-() to do a special stock move Northfields -
Hammersmith - Mansion House (not sure why they need
to go this far?) - Reverse to High Street Ken, reverse back
to Hammersmith to use that triangle. He will have a District
'conductor' with him who knows that route.

Mansion House, as the first point with a reversing siding,
is probably easier operationally than reversing at the other
points with a crossover (South Kensington and Embankment).

Easier operationally? Aren't we talking about a very small number of trains
in the middle of a single night?

Anyway, I'm still surprised that T4 station is closing to passengers a whole
day before the engineering possession starts. Some of the wheelchair
passengers who decide to get the tube to T123 and then the HEx to T4 will
end up being taken non-stop through the T4 station. They'll be rather
annoyed, especially if they miss their planes because they didn't know in
advance that the possession was taking place. And they'll be even more
annoyed if they ever find out that LU shut T4 station a day early just so
they can get their trains all pointing the "right way around", when every
Picc depot seems to have coped fine with trains in random directions every
night since 1987.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 19th 04, 10:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Anyway, I'm still surprised that T4 station is closing to passengers a whole
day before the engineering possession starts. Some of the wheelchair
passengers who decide to get the tube to T123 and then the HEx to T4 will
end up being taken non-stop through the T4 station. They'll be rather
annoyed, especially if they miss their planes because they didn't know in
advance that the possession was taking place. And they'll be even more
annoyed if they ever find out that LU shut T4 station a day early just so
they can get their trains all pointing the "right way around", when every
Picc depot seems to have coped fine with trains in random directions every
night since 1987.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Isn't this just another exemplification of what lay behind my original posting
in this thread: the utter contempt in which passengers are held? Wouldn't it be
so much nicer for the Underground and the twits that seem to run it, to have
rid of passengers altogether?

Marc.
Old December 19th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

as lawyer you know what 'reasonable practicality' means.

Changing life-expired vehicles over is quite a bit cheaper than the
costs of providing step free access at a large number of deep-level
stations.....

Rob.

I was suggesting the fitting of lifts or escalator at Hatton Cross, nowhere
else.

But, is it not the case that at SOME STAGE all public transport will have to be
disability compliant, whatever the cost and practicality? Even if that
legislation is not yet enacted, you can bet your bottom dollar that the
disabled lobby will ensure that sooner or later it is.

If they continued to be properly maintained, there is nothing "life-expired"
about Routemasters. Moreover, maintaining them properly would cost a fraction
of the half-million or whatever that each bendy bus costs. Furthermore, if
bendy buses are maintained as poorly as Routemasters, they won't last very long
at all, and will themselves have to be replaced at even greater cost.

Marc.
Old December 19th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mait001" wrote in message
[...]

Except, its not all of them going around the loop on the friday. Only
those that need to be turned around will do so, the others will go to
T123 without going around the loop. So, only some of the passengers
will sent through a closed station.