Old December 10th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Worst ten commutes

The good ol' Standard has published the worst ten London commutes, as
suggested in a survey conducted by cheapflights.co.uk. They a

1 Circle line
2 A1 between the North Circular (A406) and Junction 2 of the M1,
3 Essex to London Bridge/Liverpool Street by rail
4 Jubilee line
5 A12 between Romford and the M25 near Brentwood
6 No4 bus route, Archway to Waterloo
7 A13 between A406 and A1306 in Barking and Dagenham
8 No322 bus route: Crystal Palace to Elephant and Castle
9 Stevenage to Moorgate via Hertford North by rail
10 139 bus route, West Hampstead to Waterloo
Source:
http://www.thisislondon.com/news/lon...ing%20Standard

Ah, the wonderful Circle Line. All I ask is not to wait for twenty
minutes at Edgware Road for an inner Circle (yes, I know it would be
quicker just to go to Earl's Court and change, but I'm an optimist, and
expect one to turn up any minute).

I'm not surprised Essex to London Bridge is a horrible commute by rail.
After all, it does involve changing at Stratford, West Hampstead *and*
St Pancras at the moment (unless Crossrail got built without us noticing).

And the poor Jubilee Line. The extension just doesn't seem to have
agreed with it... let's hope the extra cars and signalling upgrade cure
that.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old December 10th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Dave Arquati wrote:
The good ol' Standard has published the worst ten London commutes, as
suggested in a survey conducted by cheapflights.co.uk. They a

Who best to do a survey than someone promoting Flying, which can do
nothing wrong !
Btw, BBC London news also did a "commuter Special" this evening Live
from Stratford InterChange
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk
Old December 10th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Why would anyone go from Essex to London Bridge via West Hampstead? It
would be far quicker to get a train to Liverpool St, then either walk
all the way, or leap on the Circle to Monument and walk/catch a bus
across London Bridge.

Old December 10th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10 Dec 2004 14:29:47 -0800, James wrote:
Why would anyone go from Essex to London Bridge via West Hampstead? It
would be far quicker to get a train to Liverpool St, then either walk
all the way, or leap on the Circle to Monument and walk/catch a bus
across London Bridge.

you could of course get a bus direct from Liverpool St, good choice.

--
Martin
Old December 10th 04, 10:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 20:14:23 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

I'm not surprised Essex to London Bridge is a horrible commute by rail.
After all, it does involve changing at Stratford, West Hampstead *and*
St Pancras at the moment (unless Crossrail got built without us noticing).

Is this obtained by insisting on (National-) rail only for the trip,
rather than allowing bus/underground/etc as well?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old December 10th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Smith wrote:
On 10 Dec 2004 14:29:47 -0800, James wrote:
Why would anyone go from Essex to London Bridge via West
Hampstead? It would be far quicker to get a train to Liverpool St,
then either walk all the way, or leap on the Circle to Monument
and walk/catch a bus across London Bridge.

you could of course get a bus direct from Liverpool St, good choice.

Or Jubilee Line from Stratford direct to London Bridge.

--
Richard J.
Old December 11th 04, 05:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

I'm not surprised Essex to London Bridge is a horrible commute by
rail. After all, it does involve changing at Stratford, West
Hampstead *and* St Pancras at the moment (unless Crossrail got
built without us noticing).

Why would anyone make that journey in such a ridiculously ineffective
way? I think you must have got confused somehow, I just can't
understand why someone would make the journey like that, passing
through West Hampstead or St Pancras. Surely the best way to make such
a journey would be something like catch a train to Liverpool Street and
then a bus to London Bridge.

And the poor Jubilee Line. The extension just doesn't seem to have
agreed with it... let's hope the extra cars and signalling upgrade
cure that.

My experience of the Jubilee line is usually very good and I use it all
the time, although on most days of the week not at the typical peak
hours. My journeys are also made only on the JLE, I don't know if that
makes any difference.

--
message by Robin May. That egotism was getting old.

Americans who voted for Bush: you ****ed up.

http://robinmay.fotopic.net
Old December 12th 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James wrote:
Why would anyone go from Essex to London Bridge via West Hampstead? It
would be far quicker to get a train to Liverpool St, then either walk
all the way, or leap on the Circle to Monument and walk/catch a bus
across London Bridge.

I was being sarcastic.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 12th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

I'm not surprised Essex to London Bridge is a horrible commute by
rail. After all, it does involve changing at Stratford, West
Hampstead *and* St Pancras at the moment (unless Crossrail got
built without us noticing).

Why would anyone make that journey in such a ridiculously ineffective
way? I think you must have got confused somehow, I just can't
understand why someone would make the journey like that, passing
through West Hampstead or St Pancras. Surely the best way to make such
a journey would be something like catch a train to Liverpool Street and
then a bus to London Bridge.

I was being sarcastic... but no-one seemed to pick it up. Oh well.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old December 13th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Robin May wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

I'm not surprised Essex to London Bridge is a horrible commute by
rail. After all, it does involve changing at Stratford, West
Hampstead *and* St Pancras at the moment (unless Crossrail got
built without us noticing).

Why would anyone make that journey in such a ridiculously ineffective
way? I think you must have got confused somehow, I just can't
understand why someone would make the journey like that, passing
through West Hampstead or St Pancras. Surely the best way to make such
a journey would be something like catch a train to Liverpool Street and
then a bus to London Bridge.

I was being sarcastic... but no-one seemed to pick it up. Oh well.

Those that did kept quiet

--
Everything above is the personal opinion of the author, and nothing to do
with where he works and all that lovely disclaimery stuff.