Old November 10th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Zone 6 conquers ten further Southern stations

I'm surprised that no-one has referred to this yet, though it doesn't
seem to appear anywhere on the Southern (or any other) website(s).

I've seen a poster at a Southern station, which has been there at least
a week, that states that from 2 January 2006, when new fares are
introduced, the London's Zone 6 will be extended to include the
following stations to the south of Croydon and Sutton:

Banstead and Epsom Downs
Chipstead, Kingswood, Tadworth and Tattenham Corner
Whyteleafe, Whyteleaf South and Caterham
Upper Wharlingham

I've grouped them together for ease of reference. They all appear on
the London Connections map [1], and (logically) they're all outside the
Greater London boundary in the county of Surrey.

The poster said that most passengers would benefit from this change in
terms of the fares available to them. It should be noted that Southern
fares in South London are now calculated on a zonal basis (see the
Southern website [2]).

Also I read a story on the Kingston Times website that says SWT are
considering extending Zone 6 out to "stations such as Esher, Hinchley
Wood and Claygate" [3].

I wonder what the proceedure is for adding stations to the zones or
changing which zones a station is in. I presume TfL must be consulted,
and the other London train companies need to OK it as well. I guess
that's what ATOC's London Schemes Council is for.

____________________
[1] National Rail (ATOC) London Connections map:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system...LC_May_x05.pdf

[2] Southern Railway 'Fare Pal' - info re zonal fares in South London
http://www.southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=126

[3] Kingston Times story - 'SWT Moves To Help Surbiton'
http://www.kingstonguardian.co.uk/se...p_surbiton.php

Old November 10th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[originally posted to uk.transport.london ]
[ommitted to cross-post this to uk.railway ]
[pls reply to *this* post- sorry for the mess]

Old November 10th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Mizter T wrote in
:

[originally posted to uk.transport.london ]
[ommitted to cross-post this to uk.railway ]
[pls reply to *this* post- sorry for the mess]

I'm surprised that no-one has referred to this yet, though it doesn't
seem to appear anywhere on the Southern (or any other) website(s).

I've seen a poster at a Southern station, which has been there at
least a week, that states that from 2 January 2006, when new fares are
introduced, the London's Zone 6 will be extended to include the
following stations to the south of Croydon and Sutton:

Banstead and Epsom Downs
Chipstead, Kingswood, Tadworth and Tattenham Corner
Whyteleafe, Whyteleaf South and Caterham
Upper Wharlingham

Does this apply to One-Day Travelcards when travelling from outside

London -
ie where the ticket includes travel into London as well as unlimited

travel
within all the London zones?

Yes- in the same way as you've been able to use a ODTC (whether Z1-6 only,
or from an out-boundary station) to Epping, and various other stations
outside Greater London, e.g. Elstree.. It's also worth knowing that a ODTC
is valid on London Buses which run beyond the Greater London boundary - e.g.
you've always been able to use a ODTC to Caterham, or Dartford, or Swanley,
provided that you go there on a London bus and not a train.

Peter

Old November 10th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:11:43 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

[...]

I Guess that Southern will reach their performance targets for both Sussex
Coast and Metro Services either this month or next so the performance
discount will be discontinued on season tickets. They can probably afford
the zone 6 tidying up excercise. I gather they may soon be accepting
oyster pay as you go in the travelcard area as well.

Paul

Old November 10th 05, 08:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Martin Underwood wrote:
Mizter T wrote in
I'm surprised that no-one has referred to this yet, though it doesn't
seem to appear anywhere on the Southern (or any other) website(s).

I've seen a poster at a Southern station, which has been there at
least a week, that states that from 2 January 2006, when new fares are
introduced, the London's Zone 6 will be extended to include the
following stations to the south of Croydon and Sutton:

Banstead and Epsom Downs
Chipstead, Kingswood, Tadworth and Tattenham Corner
Whyteleafe, Whyteleaf South and Caterham
Upper Wharlingham

Does this apply to One-Day Travelcards when travelling from outside London -
ie where the ticket includes travel into London as well as unlimited travel
within all the London zones?

Er, I think you're making it sound more complicated than it is!

Those stations will cease to be outside the zones, and become Zone 6
stations, just like any other Zone 6 station.

Presumably there will be a period during which season tickets bought
under the old system will continue to be valid. Perhaps there may be
some refund system for those season ticket holders whose old ticket is
more expensive than the equivalent new ticket, which I speculate would
be the majority of commuters (those who travel into into London). Maybe
only holders of season tickets over a certain period (say 6 months)
will get to apply for a refund. I am guessing.

I know nothing more than what the poster said, which I have basically
repeated above. Perhaps this poster has been displayed too early - if
no-one else has seen said poster, I'll make an endeavour to take a
picture.

Old November 10th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

There's one of these posters displayed on platform 14 at Clapham
Junction, near the bottom of the footbridge. Noticed it on Tuesday but
forgot to post here about it. I'm surprised nothing has been said by TfL
yet (and certainly asking around the office today none of the usual
suspects knew about it either).

Cheers

Steve M

Mizter T wrote:

Mizter T wrote in

Old November 10th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mizter T" wrote:

I'm surprised that no-one has referred to this yet, though it doesn't
seem to appear anywhere on the Southern (or any other) website(s).

I've seen a poster at a Southern station, which has been there at least
a week, that states that from 2 January 2006, when new fares are
introduced, the London's Zone 6 will be extended to include the
following stations to the south of Croydon and Sutton:

Banstead and Epsom Downs
Chipstead, Kingswood, Tadworth and Tattenham Corner

What's the logic in extending Z6 to Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner, but
not to Epsom? Are there particular difficulties caused by Southern 'sharing
the flow' from Epsom with SWT?

Chris

Old November 10th 05, 10:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Chris Read wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote:

I'm surprised that no-one has referred to this yet, though it doesn't
seem to appear anywhere on the Southern (or any other) website(s).

I've seen a poster at a Southern station, which has been there at least
a week, that states that from 2 January 2006, when new fares are
introduced, the London's Zone 6 will be extended to include the
following stations to the south of Croydon and Sutton:

Banstead and Epsom Downs
Chipstead, Kingswood, Tadworth and Tattenham Corner

What's the logic in extending Z6 to Epsom Downs and Tattenham Corner, but
not to Epsom? Are there particular difficulties caused by Southern 'sharing
the flow' from Epsom with SWT?

Chris

The south west extended zone 6 beyond Greater London many years ago, to
include Thames Ditton and Hampton Court, about the same time as the top
of the Hainault Loop, and well before Epping.

But I thought that might be because Hampton Court is an attraction in
London, served by a station in Surrey.