Old December 13th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's busiest level crossing?

Because I'm that sort of person, this question has
been bugging me for a while.

Where is London's busiest level crossing in terms
of off-peak weekday trains per hour? Where ever
in London it is, is it the busiest level crossing in
the UK? In Europe? Anywhere?

By level crossing, I mean where a railway line
crosses a public road on the level -- depots, tracks
between fields, pedestrian crossings and such
don't count.
Your suggestions greatly appreciated,

Matt Ashby
www.mattashby.com

Old December 14th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London's closest pair of level crossings?

"Martin Underwood" wrote

Can I ask a supplementary question? Whereabouts in London (or even in the
whole of Britain) is the closest pair of level crossings in terms of the
length of road (not railway) between them? I'm talking about separate
crossings with separate sets of barriers. I can think of a pair which are
very close, but I want to see if you suggest the same ones.

To kick this one off Martin. There are two in Crawley about 500 metres
apart.

I can't imagine that they are the closest though - any better out there?

Old December 14th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in message
"Martin Underwood" wrote

Can I ask a supplementary question? Whereabouts in London (or even in the
whole of Britain) is the closest pair of level crossings in terms of the
length of road (not railway) between them? I'm talking about separate
crossings with separate sets of barriers. I can think of a pair which are
very close, but I want to see if you suggest the same ones.

To kick this one off Martin. There are two in Crawley about 500 metres
apart.

I can't imagine that they are the closest though - any better out there?

The pair I'm thinking of are much closer than this. I'd estimate about 50
metres.

I'll also add a second category: closest pair of level crossings in terms of
the length of railway between them.

Old December 14th 04, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

Can I ask a supplementary question? Whereabouts in London (or even in the
whole of Britain) is the closest pair of level crossings in terms of the
length of road (not railway) between them? I'm talking about separate
crossings with separate sets of barriers. I can think of a pair which are
very close, but I want to see if you suggest the same ones.

Isn't there some near Richmond where the line diverges, or the NLL comes
in next to the SWT lines?

I see something like that last week when I was on a JOP heading towards
Richmond/Reading

--
Darren

Sudbury Branch Line website: http://www.sudbury-branchline.co.uk
http://photos.darrenjohnson.co.uk
Old December 14th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Henry writes
"Martin Underwood" wrote

Can I ask a supplementary question? Whereabouts in London (or even in the
whole of Britain) is the closest pair of level crossings in terms of the
length of road (not railway) between them? I'm talking about separate
crossings with separate sets of barriers. I can think of a pair which are
very close, but I want to see if you suggest the same ones.

To kick this one off Martin. There are two in Crawley about 500 metres
apart.

I can't imagine that they are the closest though - any better out there?

Vine Road, Barnes - there's room for only about 6 cars between the level
crossing on the Hounslow loop line and the level crossing on the Windsor
line:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x

--
Paul Terry
Old December 14th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
[...]

That's the one I was thinking of - unless anyone can think of a pair of
crossings that are even closer than that.

Old December 14th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
Can I ask a supplementary question? Whereabouts in London (or even in the
whole of Britain) is the closest pair of level crossings in terms of the
length of road (not railway) between them? I'm talking about separate
crossings with separate sets of barriers.

Not London, but at Queen Adelaide, north of Ely, there are *three*
crossings in quick succession on the B1382, as the line splits into
three (the Ely Loop doesn't have one, unfortunately, or there'd be four
in a row). The sequence is about 500m in total, with the western pair
much closer than the eastern pair.

There's a level crossing (Helpston) right where the
Peterborough-Leicester line diverges from the ECML. I can't recall
whether it has one set of barriers or two, though.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old December 14th 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
[...]

Not forgetting the two in Bollo Lane Acton just south of South Acton
station.

http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=...=newsearch.srf