Old December 20th 04, 12:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 4th rail south of queens park towards euston

I had the misfortune of having to use the bakerloo line last
week and noticed, while I was waiting for all eternity at
queens park for a harrow train, that there were 4th rails on
the silverlink only tracks either side that the tube trains don't
use. They looked rather rusty and seemed to head off south towards
euston. How far does it go and what are/were they for? Do tube
trains ever run on that track anymore?

B2003

Old December 20th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The 4th rail goes as far (more or less) as Kilburn High Road. LU has
emergency access rights over this stretch, but I'm led to believe that
the 4th rail isn't in situ for the whole stretch. I am also led to
believe that a battery electric loco sometimes runs to/from Kilburn
High Road some nights.

Hope this is of interest.

PhilD

Old December 20th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

PhilD wrote:
The 4th rail goes as far (more or less) as Kilburn High Road. LU has
emergency access rights over this stretch, but I'm led to believe

that
the 4th rail isn't in situ for the whole stretch. I am also led to
believe that a battery electric loco sometimes runs to/from Kilburn
High Road some nights.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers. Wonder if they had ever considered running tube trains into
Euston station itself..... Now theres a thought.

B2003

Old December 20th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com
PhilD wrote:
The 4th rail goes as far (more or less) as Kilburn High Road. LU has
emergency access rights over this stretch, but I'm led to believe
that the 4th rail isn't in situ for the whole stretch. I am also
led to believe that a battery electric loco sometimes runs to/from
Kilburn High Road some nights.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers. Wonder if they had ever considered running tube trains into
Euston station itself..... Now theres a thought.

I seem to recall that such a plan was proposed, but I don't remember
what happened to the idea.

Old December 21st 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

PhilD wrote:

The 4th rail goes as far (more or less) as Kilburn High Road. LU has
emergency access rights over this stretch, but I'm led to believe that
the 4th rail isn't in situ for the whole stretch. I am also led to
believe that a battery electric loco sometimes runs to/from Kilburn
High Road some nights.

Don't know about now, but the 4th rail was definitely continuous a few
years ago (during the partial closure of the North London Line)
because I remember being surprised by a Bakerloo line train at KHR. It
sat around for quite a while, then went back the way it had come. I
can't remember which track(s) it used.

It must have been that time, because I have never needed to go to
Kilburn High Road at any other time.

Colin McKenzie