Old January 11th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Speed limits for bicycles

In article .com,
Alistair Bell wrote:

Martin Underwood wrote:
I think you really would have to be "cycling furiously" to break even a
30 mph limit. The fastest I've managed on the flat is about 22 mph and
downhill

Running a mile in 4 minutes works out at 15 mph. A bicycle can easily go a
lot faster than that! If by "cycling furiously" the police allege "going
faster than the steering, brakes, and rider's skills make safely possible",
then I can believe in the legitimacy of the allegation.

Michael Bell.

Old February 9th 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
All right, I should have phrased my comment better: "This does beg the
question of why speed limits do not apply to bicycles". Looks like the law
is too specific and should be changed to "any wheeled vehicle".

Speed limits don't apply to trams, either, I think you'll find.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 9th 05, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Martin
Underwood writes
All right, I should have phrased my comment better: "This does beg the
question of why speed limits do not apply to bicycles". Looks like the law
is too specific and should be changed to "any wheeled vehicle".

Speed limits don't apply to trams, either, I think you'll find.

Really. I presumed that where trams ran along the centre/edge of a road,
they were limited to the same limits as road traffic. What about guided
buses, such as they have in Leeds - do they have separate speed limits to
road traffic on the road whose central reservation they use?

Old February 10th 05, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:30:50 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

In article ,
Martin Underwood writes
All right, I should have phrased my comment better: "This does beg the
question of why speed limits do not apply to bicycles". Looks like the law
is too specific and should be changed to "any wheeled vehicle".

Speed limits don't apply to trams, either, I think you'll find

Although academic these days, I was told that they also don't apply to
trolleybuses. Both come under different legislation from the Road
Traffic Act.
..
Old February 13th 05, 03:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
" writes
Speed limits don't apply to trams, either, I think you'll find

Although academic these days, I was told that they also don't apply to
trolleybuses. Both come under different legislation from the Road
Traffic Act.

Um, no. Trams are covered by the various bits of legislation, but they
are covered separately.

You need the road signs regulations from a few years ago. I think you'll
find that red-ringed speed limit signs apply to "motor vehicles
excluding trams" or something like that.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: