Old October 1st 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Liverpool Road speed bumps

Has anyone here experienced travelling along Liverpool Road Islington
recently ?

I cycle up this road every day and drive along it occasionally, and in
my view it is far more dangerous than it was before they put speed
bumps on it.

From a cycling perspective, I now have to swerve into the gaps between
the speed bumps in order to avoid cycling over them. The only problem
is, this puts me into direct competition with cars and trucks trying
to do the same.(It seems that trucks don't have to worry about slowing
down as the width of their wheels means they straddle the speed
bumps.) Previously I could keep to my bit of the road and vehicles
could keep to theirs. Whilst doing this recently in the rain I skidded
on the edge of the hump and nearly ended up underneath a car.

I have also driven along Liverpool Road in a car 2 or 3 times since
the humps were installed, and I find it rather alarming the way cars
going in opposite directions both have to aim towards the centre of
the road narrowly missing each other.
Any thoughts anyone ?

RalphT

Old October 1st 03, 08:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

RalphT wrote in message
om...
Has anyone here experienced travelling along Liverpool Road Islington
recently ?

I cycle up this road every day and drive along it occasionally, and in
my view it is far more dangerous than it was before they put speed
bumps on it.

From a cycling perspective, I now have to swerve into the gaps between
the speed bumps in order to avoid cycling over them. The only problem
is, this puts me into direct competition with cars and trucks trying
to do the same.(It seems that trucks don't have to worry about slowing
down as the width of their wheels means they straddle the speed
bumps.) Previously I could keep to my bit of the road and vehicles
could keep to theirs. Whilst doing this recently in the rain I skidded
on the edge of the hump and nearly ended up underneath a car.

I have also driven along Liverpool Road in a car 2 or 3 times since
the humps were installed, and I find it rather alarming the way cars
going in opposite directions both have to aim towards the centre of
the road narrowly missing each other.
Any thoughts anyone ?

RalphT

It's a complete nightmare!

Speed bumps were created to reduce accidents but the Liverpool Road ones
will only increase serious head on crashes. Also I find it bizarre that the
reason for installing them is basically to slow the traffic down but yet
motorbikes are able to maintain top speeds by avoiding the bumps (especially
those moped kids who seem to whiz by without any care with their own life).
Secondly Liverpool Road is an artery for the emergency services and now they
have to delay their response time which could lose a life.

I am totally amazed why Islington Council are installing various types of
speed bumps in such a small area!

To be honest if they can justify installing speed restrictors then I would
only approve of those 'table bumps' (seen at traffic lights, 'T' junctions
etc). Not only do they slow the traffic but are more vehicle 'friendly' -
not damaging suspension, wheels etc.

While we are on the subject of Liverpool Road I'm getting fed up of those
people who believe the have the right to drive down a right hand turn only
lane but then to cuts the vehicle in the correct lane by going straight on!

daveF

Old October 3rd 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
I@n I@n is offline

dave F wrote:

While we are on the subject of Liverpool Road I'm getting fed up of
those people who believe the have the right to drive down a right
hand turn only lane but then to cuts the vehicle in the correct lane
by going straight on!

This isn't unique to Liverpool Road. The general standard of driving around
London has deteriorated massively in the last two years, due I think to the
lack of policemen around, and the proliferation of traffic light and bus
lane cameras around meaning most drivers look out for them now, and when at
a junction without said cameras, think nothing of breaking the rules.

Old October 6th 03, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"I@n" -uk wrote in message ...
dave F wrote:

While we are on the subject of Liverpool Road I'm getting fed up of
those people who believe the have the right to drive down a right
hand turn only lane but then to cuts the vehicle in the correct lane
by going straight on!

This isn't unique to Liverpool Road. The general standard of driving around
London has deteriorated massively in the last two years, due I think to the
lack of policemen around, and the proliferation of traffic light and bus
lane cameras around meaning most drivers look out for them now, and when at
a junction without said cameras, think nothing of breaking the rules.

I think this is also partly due to the feeling that traffic
regulations used to be there for mostly safety related reasons, and
people took them seriously for that reason. This is no longer the
case. When you are confronted by endless no entries/no left turn/right
turn, road narrowings, red phases that go on forever, and when the
feeling is that they are only like this for "political" reasons, then
you stop taking them seriously.