Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Speed limits for bicycles

OK, I know this could potentially stir up a hornet's nest, but...

What I'm looking for is the law as it stands at the moment, rather than
what "should" be the case if only the laws didn't favour the scum of
the earth bikes/cars/lorries/buses/taxis/anything else (delete
according to personal preference).

So, to the question. Are cyclists *legally* obliged to stick to road
speed limits? (I know, in practice they are usually difficult to
exceed anyway).

The reason that I ask is that I was under the impression that push bike
riders are subject to ALL the laws of the road, but a correspondent
responding to my website
http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/bikes/highwaycode.htm suggests
that the speed limit laws apply only to motorised vehicles.

To me (a cyclist), it is common sense to stick to the prevailing
limits, but am interested to know what the law actually states.
Many thanks to all, and the compliments of the season.

PhilD