London Banter

-   -   White City station on Hammermith & City (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2718-white-city-station-hammermith-city.html)

Slim February 3rd 05 10:37 AM

White City station on Hammermith & City

I notice that there is some activity around the proposed site for the new
White City station on the Hammersmith & City line.
Does anyone know if they are starting work on this, and what the lkely
completion date is?

Also - any news on the new Shepherds Bush station on the West London line?

Slim

Larry Lard February 3rd 05 01:48 PM

Slim wrote:
I notice that there is some activity around the proposed site for the

new
White City station on the Hammersmith & City line.
Does anyone know if they are starting work on this, and what the

lkely
completion date is?

Also - any news on the new Shepherds Bush station on the West London

line?

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/24 and links therefrom. As I
understand it this is all going to be going live 'Summer 2005'. Network
maps in tube stations already show Imperial Wharf and Shepherds Bush
WLL stations as '* opening summer 2005'.

I think yesterday's "Homes and Property" supplement to the Standard
included a couple of pages on the White City project.

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

TheOneKEA February 3rd 05 02:01 PM

Larry Lard wrote:

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/24 and links therefrom. As I
understand it this is all going to be going live 'Summer 2005'.
Network maps in tube stations already show Imperial Wharf and

Shepherds
Bush WLL stations as '* opening summer 2005'.

Hmmm.

The WLL station will be long enough for four-car trains, due to the
constraints of the signalling. I also wonder how much of a constraint
there will be on pathing freights and 377/Xs around the 313s stopping
at the station.

No mention is made of how long the H&CR station will be - seems to me
that making it seven (or eight!) cars instead of six would be useful
if/when the new SSL stock comes on the scene (this is dependent on how
easily Hammersmith station can be modified). Even if the trains will
never be longer, having a platform bigger than your train makes the
T/Op's life much less stressful.

Larry Lard February 3rd 05 02:35 PM

TheOneKEA wrote:
Larry Lard wrote:

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/24 and links therefrom. As

understand it this is all going to be going live 'Summer 2005'.
Network maps in tube stations already show Imperial Wharf and

Shepherds
Bush WLL stations as '* opening summer 2005'.

Hmmm.

The WLL station will be long enough for four-car trains, due to the
constraints of the signalling. I also wonder how much of a constraint
there will be on pathing freights and 377/Xs around the 313s stopping
at the station.

I think there's definitely 'somwthing being done' to the WLL, as it's
my understanding that when these new stations open the Silverlink WLL
shuttle is having a 50% service increase! (from 2 to 3 trains per
hour).

Mostly stuff I've picked up here, so I'm sure someone definitive will
be along soon...

--
Larry Lard
Replies to group please

thoss February 3rd 05 05:10 PM

White City station on Hammermith & City

In article .com,
TheOneKEA writes
No mention is made of how long the H&CR station will be - seems to me
that making it seven (or eight!) cars instead of six would be useful
if/when the new SSL stock comes on the scene (this is dependent on how
easily Hammersmith station can be modified). Even if the trains will
never be longer, having a platform bigger than your train makes the
T/Op's life much less stressful.

I suppose this is a replacement for White City station, which closed
following a fire in 1959.
--
Tom

Paul Terry February 3rd 05 06:55 PM

White City station on Hammermith & City

In message , thoss
writes

In article .com,
TheOneKEA writes

No mention is made of how long the H&CR station will be - seems to me
that making it seven (or eight!) cars instead of six would be useful
if/when the new SSL stock comes on the scene (this is dependent on how
easily Hammersmith station can be modified). Even if the trains will
never be longer, having a platform bigger than your train makes the
T/Op's life much less stressful.

I suppose this is a replacement for White City station, which closed
following a fire in 1959.

No. The White City station that closed following a fire in 1959 was on
the Central Line. The new station is on the Hammersmith and City - so it
is in no way a replacement.

--
Paul Terry

Brimstone February 3rd 05 07:04 PM

White City station on Hammermith & City

"thoss" wrote in message
In article .com,
TheOneKEA writes
No mention is made of how long the H&CR station will be - seems to me
that making it seven (or eight!) cars instead of six would be useful
if/when the new SSL stock comes on the scene (this is dependent on how
easily Hammersmith station can be modified). Even if the trains will
never be longer, having a platform bigger than your train makes the
T/Op's life much less stressful.

I suppose this is a replacement for White City station, which closed
following a fire in 1959.

That's correct, although I don't know about the fire causing closure.

TheOneKEA February 3rd 05 07:08 PM

thoss wrote:

I suppose this is a replacement for White City station, which closed
following a fire in 1959.

Not quite. The H&CR station entitled White City was closed after WWII
ended, apparently due to bomb damage.

Dave Arquati February 3rd 05 08:17 PM

White City station on Hammermith & City

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , thoss
writes

In article .com,
TheOneKEA writes

No mention is made of how long the H&CR station will be - seems to me
that making it seven (or eight!) cars instead of six would be useful
if/when the new SSL stock comes on the scene (this is dependent on how
easily Hammersmith station can be modified). Even if the trains will
never be longer, having a platform bigger than your train makes the
T/Op's life much less stressful.

I suppose this is a replacement for White City station, which closed
following a fire in 1959.

No. The White City station that closed following a fire in 1959 was on
the Central Line. The new station is on the Hammersmith and City - so it
is in no way a replacement.

Clive believes differently:
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/hammersmith.html

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Richard J. February 3rd 05 08:19 PM

TheOneKEA wrote:
thoss wrote:

I suppose this is a replacement for White City station, which
closed following a fire in 1959.

Not quite. The H&CR station entitled White City was closed after
WWII ended, apparently due to bomb damage.

The H&CR station closed in 1959, 14 years after WW2 ended. According to
Hywel Williams's site[1], closure followed a fire on one of the wooden
platforms.

[1] http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground/woodlane.html

--
Richard J.