Old February 10th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster Capping announced by BBC

starts 27th Feb...

At last!

Old February 10th 05, 04:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Still not sure it's of much use to me. I travel a few times a week from Zone
3 into central London, an occasional bus ride, and a few Southern trains
between Balham, Victoria, Croydon etc., on which I understand you can't use
Oyster.

Would there be any point in loading a one day Travelcard (say zones 1-4)
onto an Oyster card on a day when I need it, or might I just as well carry
on buying paper tickets?

Ian

Old February 10th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

starts 27th Feb...

At last!

See also earlier thread 'Prepay Capping Tube Magazine' 07/02/2005

Paul

Old February 10th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Still not sure it's of much use to me. I travel a few times a week

from Zone
3 into central London, an occasional bus ride, and a few Southern

trains
between Balham, Victoria, Croydon etc., on which I understand you

can't use
Oyster.

Would there be any point in loading a one day Travelcard (say zones

1-4)
onto an Oyster card on a day when I need it, or might I just as well

carry
on buying paper tickets?

Ian

A one-day Travelcard cannot be loaded on an Oyster.

Old February 10th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Still not sure it's of much use to me. I travel a few times a week from
Zone
3 into central London, an occasional bus ride, and a few Southern trains
between Balham, Victoria, Croydon etc., on which I understand you can't

use
Oyster.

I find it is worthwhile just for the convenience of not having to use the
ticket machines for the trams or for buses where you need a ticket for
boarding, or having to mess around paying the driver. Saving a few bob in
doing so is a bonus.

Would there be any point in loading a one day Travelcard (say zones 1-4)
onto an Oyster card on a day when I need it, or might I just as well carry
on buying paper tickets?

You can't actually load a one day travelcard onto an Oyster. Although I'd
find it useful myself I can see why they never bothered with it as it is
just as easy to hand you a paper ticket.

G.

Old February 10th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"umpston" wrote in message
oups.com...

A one-day Travelcard cannot be loaded on an Oyster.

Well, as they say in Spain, hacienda that then!

Ian

Old February 10th 05, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in message

You can't actually load a one day travelcard onto an Oyster. Although I'd
find it useful myself I can see why they never bothered with it as it is
just as easy to hand you a paper ticket.

In that case, I'll continue to buy a paper ticket until things change, or
Oyster becomes available on (all) National Rail.

Ian

Old February 10th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Ian F.
writes

Still not sure it's of much use to me. I travel a few times a week from Zone
3 into central London, an occasional bus ride, and a few Southern trains
between Balham, Victoria, Croydon etc., on which I understand you can't use
Oyster.

Would there be any point in loading a one day Travelcard (say zones 1-4)
onto an Oyster card on a day when I need it, or might I just as well carry
on buying paper tickets?

As others have said, you cannot load a one-day Travelcard.

If you have Oyster pre-pay, fares at Oyster rates will be deducted and,
if your daily total exceeds a one-day Travelcard, the Oyster will give
you the benefit of the total being capped at one-day Travelcard level.

However, without more detail of the specific journeys (especially how
you get from Zone 3 to Central London), it is impossible to say whether
or not you would be better off.

IMO, Oyster has little to offer significant numbers of Londoners until
surface rail is brought into the scheme.

--
Paul Terry
Old February 10th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Graham J" wrote in
:

Would there be any point in loading a one day Travelcard (say zones
1-4) onto an Oyster card on a day when I need it, or might I just as
well carry on buying paper tickets?

You can't actually load a one day travelcard onto an Oyster. Although
I'd find it useful myself I can see why they never bothered with it as
it is just as easy to hand you a paper ticket.

G.

Is this one of the things that will change on Feb 27th? Or does capping
limit pre-pay deductions to the cost of a travelcard but not actually
create a travelcard (and thus not valid on national rail unless you could
use pre-pay for the journey you are making)?

I hope the lack of information on offical tfl sites does not mean the
details are still being worked out...

David
Old February 10th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 0, David
Jackman writes

You can't actually load a one day travelcard onto an Oyster. Although
I'd find it useful myself I can see why they never bothered with it as
it is just as easy to hand you a paper ticket.

Is this one of the things that will change on Feb 27th? Or does capping
limit pre-pay deductions to the cost of a travelcard but not actually
create a travelcard

Surely 'capping' means what it says - capping (restricting) the cost.

If the announcement meant that you could go further and put a full-blown
one-day travelcard onto an Oyster, it would surely have said so - and
would have been much more dramatic as a result!

--
Paul Terry