Old February 13th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Default Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

"Huge" wrote in message
Paul Corfield writes:

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really
should not bother with attempting to be
remotely helpful to people on this group.

Frankly, given the quality of the "help" offered,
I'd be inclined to agree with you. You might work
for LU, but I have to *use* the "service" you
"offer" in the real world.

Come off it, Huge, you weren't rude to Paul for a reason, you were rude to
him because you're rude to everyone.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old February 13th 05, 12:38 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow the
occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10% of
what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

Paul, do keep on posting here, please!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old February 13th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb 2005 13:14:55 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:
On 13 Feb 2005 10:16:59 GMT,
(Huge) wrote:

Paul Corfield writes:

[13 lines snipped]

Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother with
attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

Frankly, given the quality of the "help" offered, I'd be inclined to agree
with you. You might work for LU, but I have to *use* the "service" you
"offer" in the real world.

You seem to somehow imagine that I don't use the tube and buses every
day to get about London.

So why are you advising, contrary to that offered by your employers,
people to use Kings X? And indulging in pointless pedantry? What
the station is called is of no consequence. It's a 500 yard walk, out
of doors. End of debate. All else is pointless willy-waving.

The original poster asked about both Stansted and Luton. Therefore my
answer covered both - but obviously not to the level of detail you feel
appropriate given that *you* clearly have to walk from St Pancras at
present or else you would not be making such a song and dance about all
of this.

If the OP opts to use Luton Airport they have NO option to avoid St
Pancras and Kings Cross if they travel by train into the current
terminal. Other people suggested changing further out e.g. at West
Hampstead. The OP gave only approximate details as to the extent of
their encumbrance, whether they were able bodied or not, whether
frequency was more important than a direct service etc. A little more
detail would have allowed a more focused and accurate reply - there is
no way of knowing whether your view about using Stansted is any more
appropriate than anyone else suggesting Thameslink via St Pancras and
Kings Cross or changing to the Tube at West Hampstead or Kentish Town.
No criticism of the OP is implied in the above comments before you leap
to an inappropriate conclusion.

Oh and I notice you haven't bothered to answer my question to you. Still
you're only here for the wind up potential so I guess a straight answer
was expecting too much.
--
Paul C

Old February 13th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:
Mrs Redboots writes:
Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother
with attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

I sure as **** know how far it is from St.Pancras to Kings X.

No, you don't. The walk in the open down Pancras Road is actually 300
yards, not 500.

--
Richard J.

Old February 13th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb 2005 18:19:14 GMT, Huge wrote:

"Richard J." writes:
Huge wrote:
Mrs Redboots writes:
Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother
with attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

I sure as **** know how far it is from St.Pancras to Kings X.

No, you don't. The walk in the open down Pancras Road is actually 300
yards, not 500.

Typical transport weenie; much rather split hairs than address actual
issues.

Translation: "I was wrong".

Old February 13th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:
"Richard J." writes:
Huge wrote:
Mrs Redboots writes:
Ian Jelf wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 12 Feb 2005:

In message , Paul
Corfield writes
Thanks for reminding me why I really, really should not bother
with attempting to be remotely helpful to people on this group.

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow
the occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10%
of what you're on about discourage you.

You're generous, Ian - I would have said they knew about 1%!

I sure as **** know how far it is from St.Pancras to Kings X.

No, you don't. The walk in the open down Pancras Road is actually
300 yards, not 500.

Typical transport weenie; much rather split hairs than address
actual issues.

You were the one who boasted that you "sure as ****" knew the distance.
If you think an overestimate of 67% is splitting hairs, your judgement
is not to be trusted.

To the OP: Pay no attention to what the transport weenies tell you.
They live in some bizarre world where a delay is an opportunity to
be ecstatic about being on a train, a long and inconvenient walk an
opportunity to admire the architecture of St. Pancras and they'd
*much* rather attack me than bother about real issues; it's so much
easier.

You've conveniently forgotten that Paul Corfield actually said "there
are significant construction works at Kings Cross so there may be some
more hassle opting for that route." Also that you suggested Gatwick to
a poster who said he'd got the option of Luton or Stansted.

By the way, you never told us what your job is. You're not ashamed of
it, are you?

--
Richard J.

Old February 14th 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

The intelligent majority find your contributions extremely helpful and
useful.

Agreed. Carry on posting, Paul.

That said, St. Pancras is a mess at present and a real schlep from Kings
Cross. The advice to the OP to stick to Stansted is fair.

What have you all got against West Hampstead? :-) I know it's a short
walk down the road, but for airport-to-Westminster can it really be beaten?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 15th 05, 05:36 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Huge wrote:

Ian Jelf writes:

On the contrary, Paul, please continue to do so and don't allow the
occasional negative comment from someone who knows about 10% of what
you're on about discourage you.

So, your bigotry somehow distorts spacetime and means that people
arriving at St.Pancras *don't* have to drag their suitcases 500 yards
in the ****ing rain to wait outside Kings X until the Tube has cleared
sufficiently?

What happened to the ramp down from St.Pancras directly into the Tube
station?
Old February 15th 05, 07:07 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

What have you all got against West Hampstead? :-)

1. It's in north London.
2. Er...
3. ...that's it.

;-)

I know it's a short
walk down the road, but for airport-to-Westminster can it really be

beaten?

I wasn't sure if the OP meant he was going to Westminster itself or the
Westminster area - maybe Westminster station is not best for him. If it is,
then I guess you're right.

Ian

Old February 15th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

Ian F. wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

What have you all got against West Hampstead? :-)

1. It's in north London.
2. Er...
3. ...that's it.

;-)

I know it's a short
walk down the road, but for airport-to-Westminster can it really be

beaten?

I wasn't sure if the OP meant he was going to Westminster itself or the
Westminster area - maybe Westminster station is not best for him. If it is,
then I guess you're right.

If he's heading to the Victoria end of Westminster, the Victoria line
would theoretically be more useful, but also has platforms the furthest
walk from St Pancras.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7