Old February 19th 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Easier - Stanstead or Luton to London

In message , at 15:34:53 on Sat, 19 Feb
2005, Dave Arquati remarked:
On a slightly serious note, I've found the shuttle bus to be pretty
good - it runs all day and connects to the night Thameslink trains too,
and there's almost always one waiting to pick up passengers as one
doesn't leave until the one behind arrives.

As a glass half full/half empty scenario, that means that you can never
be sure when the bus will depart as it's always going to depend upon
when the next one arrives.

Old February 19th 05, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
Michael Hoffman wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

But he does have a point about the all-stations service to Luton;
it's not actually faster than the Stansted Express, but at 47
minutes versus 44 or 46 minutes, there's not much of a difference.

But... the bus! What about the bus you have to take to get to Luton
Airport Parkway?

;-)

Actually, it's quite fun standing on the bus winding its way down
the hill and round the roundabouts to the station.

Fun standing? Oh, God, it's just like those awful cattle trucks that
take your to or from your plane when the airline can't (be bothered to
pay for the plane to) get to a terminal gate. No thanks, if I'm going
to catch a train from the airport, I don't want a fairground ride first.
--
Richard J.

Old February 20th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:34:53 on Sat, 19 Feb
2005, Dave Arquati remarked:

On a slightly serious note, I've found the shuttle bus to be pretty
good - it runs all day and connects to the night Thameslink trains
too, and there's almost always one waiting to pick up passengers as
one doesn't leave until the one behind arrives.

As a glass half full/half empty scenario, that means that you can never
be sure when the bus will depart as it's always going to depend upon
when the next one arrives.

True. But the wait is only ever up to about 5 minutes anyway, so all
that's left is that you can get onto a warm(ish) bus to wait, rather
than waiting in the cold.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 20th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

Michael Hoffman wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:

But he does have a point about the all-stations service to Luton;
it's not actually faster than the Stansted Express, but at 47
minutes versus 44 or 46 minutes, there's not much of a difference.

But... the bus! What about the bus you have to take to get to Luton
Airport Parkway?

;-)

Actually, it's quite fun standing on the bus winding its way down
the hill and round the roundabouts to the station.

Fun standing? Oh, God, it's just like those awful cattle trucks that
take your to or from your plane when the airline can't (be bothered to
pay for the plane to) get to a terminal gate. No thanks, if I'm going
to catch a train from the airport, I don't want a fairground ride first.

Personally, that 5-minute fairground ride compensates for the hike
through Stansted to get from your plane to the train (although I think
Gatwick is worse - it seemed to take me about 10 minutes' of speedy
walking to get to the station ticket office!).

Luton all the way!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old February 21st 05, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 17:36:19 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Personally, that 5-minute fairground ride compensates for the hike
through Stansted to get from your plane to the train (although I think
Gatwick is worse - it seemed to take me about 10 minutes' of speedy
walking to get to the station ticket office!).

There's a lift that saves all of that up-and-down the ramp stuff.

Luton all the way!

Old February 22nd 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:20:47 on
Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Jason remarked:
It doesn't need to be a 500 (or even 300!) yard walk *outdoors* - the
majority can be done indoors. Simply cross the St Pancras taxi rank
and walk via the King's Cross platforms 9/10/11 building, and then
down platform 8 to the Underground entrance.

Except there are signs prohibiting it. On one hand it's a bloody cheek,
on the other it's private property and they could insist that all
passengers walked along the platform naked (to pick a random stupid
policy).
Old February 24th 05, 06:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:23:30 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 14:20:47 on
Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Jason remarked:
It doesn't need to be a 500 (or even 300!) yard walk *outdoors* - the
majority can be done indoors. Simply cross the St Pancras taxi rank
and walk via the King's Cross platforms 9/10/11 building, and then
down platform 8 to the Underground entrance.

Except there are signs prohibiting it. On one hand it's a bloody cheek,
on the other it's private property and they could insist that all
passengers walked along the platform naked (to pick a random stupid
policy).

Is this a recent development? A week or so back I'd arrived at KX on
a number 214 bus northbound, and needed to get to the temporary St
Pancras Station. I did roughly the walk that Jason describes above -
in the other direction of course - and was surprised to notice signs
that the concourse at Kings Cross was only for WAGN and GNER
passengers.

(Since I use WAGN several times per week I didn't feel any compunction
in walking through the concourse... )

Martin
Old February 24th 05, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

They did have a guy outside the side entrance asking you where you were
going when they first started running Thameslink into St Pancras last
September. But all you had to say was "Leeds" and he let you through. I
found it quite good fun thinking up a new place to pretend I was going
to each day, but after a week they stopped asking anyone.

Rob

Old February 24th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.local.london.info,uk.transport.london

In article 1109108821.bc433c7d37cdf5de305c31b3e3f112e8@teran ews,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:20:47 on
Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Jason remarked:
It doesn't need to be a 500 (or even 300!) yard walk *outdoors* - the
majority can be done indoors. Simply cross the St Pancras taxi rank
and walk via the King's Cross platforms 9/10/11 building, and then
down platform 8 to the Underground entrance.

Except there are signs prohibiting it.

A good thing I didn't notice them when visiting St.P on Tuesday.
Otherwise I'd have had to ignore them on general principle, being already
miffed at the curtain which, for no apparent reason, stops you getting
from the Circle line platforms to the Vic/Northern booking hall.

I did notice there is still a sign prohibiting entry in the evening
peak to the Circle platforms via the Euston Road steps outside KX.
I also noticed that everyone ignores it too !

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself