Old February 16th 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Costly Projects

"Peter Goodland" wrote in message

The new northern ticket hall for the underground station is in front
of King's Cross suburban station, at the end of the passage from the
interim St Pancras station.

The new ticket hall for the main line station is on top of the new tube
ticket hall,
alongside Platform 8.

The current 'temporary' structure at the front of King's Cross is to be
demolished
and replaced by the 'piazza' in the Guardian's picture.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...415280,00.html

(the picture in the paper is clearer than the one on this site)

and no, it does not include fitting out the Thameslink station.

The cynic in me can't help feeling that this has been announced in order to
coincide with the visit from the Olympic committee this week. The press
release from network rail

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Documents/King's%20Cross%20announcement.doc

says:

"... We are excited by this news and look forward to working with the DfT
and London Underground to develop the plans further and then taking it
through planning and listed building consent with the support of the London
Borough of Camden."

.... so it's far from a done deal. I would fully expect the whole thing to be
stalled for a year or three (look at how long they've spent arguing about
Thameslink), by which time we'll know whether the Olympic bid has been
successful or not.

D A Stocks

Old February 16th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David A Stocks wrote:

The cynic in me can't help feeling that this has been announced in
order to coincide with the visit from the Olympic committee this
week. The press release from network rail

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Documents/King's%20Cross%20announcement.doc

says:

"... We are excited by this news and look forward to working with the
DfT and London Underground to develop the plans further and then
taking it through planning and listed building consent with the
support of the London Borough of Camden."

... so it's far from a done deal. I would fully expect the whole
thing to be stalled for a year or three (look at how long they've
spent arguing about Thameslink), by which time we'll know whether the
Olympic bid has been successful or not.

Well surely they can get on with the Northern tube ticket hall straight
away? They can't build the concourse immediately since it's on top of the
tube ticket hall. So they're going to have to wait to start until the tube
ticket hall is mostly complete. (That's my interpretation of it anyway.)

Angus