London Banter

-   -   Speed Camera Avoidance (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/2779-speed-camera-avoidance.html)

Grizzly February 19th 05 05:07 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:31:27 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

redtube wrote:
"redtube" wrote in message
So does anyone have any experience with this product? or similar
kind of thing.

Actually I just found a UK link to same product: 25 quid Is it
money worth spent or not?
Also I presume is illegal if they catch you having sprayed youir
plates with it??
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/photoblocker.htm

Did you read the Sale Conditions?

"2. The product is for off road use only and is of novelty value only.
It may be illegal to use this product on the road.
7. It is illegal to tamper or interfere with your vehicle number plate."

Besides, how would you test it without running the risk of a penalty +
points?

Cheeky February 19th 05 10:35 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:11 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(redtube) wrote:

So does anyone have any experience with this product?

BARGE-POLE!

On a similar sort of theme - I've noticed quite a few number plates
around here which are pink-ish in colour. Presumably it's an attempt
to achieve this mythical number plate/camera invisibility....
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group

Paul Scott February 19th 05 11:43 AM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Cheeky" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:11 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(redtube) wrote:

So does anyone have any experience with this product?

BARGE-POLE!

On a similar sort of theme - I've noticed quite a few number plates
around here which are pink-ish in colour. Presumably it's an attempt
to achieve this mythical number plate/camera invisibility....
--

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not having
one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike first...

Paul Cummins February 19th 05 02:28 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not
having one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike
first...

Perfectly legal to have a number plate that can't be read by a gatso as
long as it can be seen from directly behind the vehicle at the same
height.

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Graeme February 19th 05 02:38 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:53:51 +0000, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Chris Tolley
writes

One frequently sees plates that are so filthy that no camera would pick
up any image.

The most common type of device (GATSO) makes an infra-red image as well
as a photographic one.

I didn't know that. Fascinating.

NOT TRUE.

2 standard colour 35mm exposures using flash illumination. Nothing infrared
involved with Gatsos.

Other systems using Automatic Number Plate Reading Video cameras (such as
SPECS average speed enforcement system) use infrared illumination. Gatso
doesn't.

Adrian February 19th 05 02:54 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

Paul Cummins ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

Perfectly legal to have a number plate that can't be read by a gatso as
long as it can be seen from directly behind the vehicle at the same
height.

You sure about that?

I'm sure that C&U says something about the permissable minimum angles of
view of plates.

loobyloo February 19th 05 03:17 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Paul Scott wrote:

How about hanging some luggage over the rear number plate, and not having
one at the front? Of course you would need to buy a motobike first...
Paul

I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

--
Cliff Laine, The Old Lard Factory, Lancaster http://www.loobynet.com
* remove any trace of rudeness before you reply *

Jesus says - whoever comes to me
Will never be thirsty

Poster outside Fishergate Baptist Church, Preston

David Splett February 19th 05 04:12 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

"loobyloo" wrote in message
I suppose one radical solution would be to obey the road traffic laws.

Indeed. I find it amazing how much time people will devote to avoiding being
caught by speed cameras, surely outweighing any time saved by being able to
drive faster.

It's not hard to avoid being caught by a GATSO or other type of camera, even
if you routinely disregard speed limits.

Paul Cummins February 19th 05 04:28 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In article , (David
Splett) wrote:

Indeed. I find it amazing how much time people will devote to avoiding
being caught by speed cameras, surely outweighing any time saved by
being able to drive faster.

I think it's something to do with the fact that 80% of British dual
carriageways are of a better standard that German Autobahnen, but have
slower, and often unreasonably slower, speed limits.

How am I endangering anyone by doing 80-90 down the M6 at 3am on a clear
morning?

Paul Terry February 19th 05 05:01 PM

Speed Camera Avoidance

In message , Graeme
writes

NOT TRUE.

2 standard colour 35mm exposures using flash illumination. Nothing infrared
involved with Gatsos.

So are websites such as http://www.termsys.demon.co.uk/gatso.htm wrong
when they claim ...

The photographs taken will be both normal and infra-red. (The
infra-red will 'see' your registration mark when the vehicle is
caked in dirt.) Also, to collect the proof, two photographs are
taken in quick succession, so that the distance travelled can be
seen.

And http://www.benlovejoy.com/speedtrapdetectors.html ... with its
picture of "A forward-facing infra-red Gatso hidden behind a sign"

Gatsometer's own site claims that they make GATSOs "with optional
infra-red flash", but I have no idea if these are used in the UK.

Other systems using Automatic Number Plate Reading Video cameras (such as
SPECS average speed enforcement system) use infrared illumination. Gatso
doesn't.

I believe the Truvelo system also uses I-R.

Basically, if I-R is being used at all, and it certainly appears to be,
then I cannot see how a reflective spray varnish will help to avoid it.

--
Paul Terry