Old March 6th 05, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

Default Hotel Hoppa at Heathrow

In message .com,
writes

Paul Terry wrote:

No. Taxis on local runs do not have to return to the back
of the queue, providing they return to Heathrow within a
specified time.

Where, in these circumstances, do they rejoin the queue?

They don't. They go straight to the ranks. See:

http://www.google.co.uk/groups?selm=....demon.co .uk

--
Paul Terry

Old March 6th 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

tim wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
news:1110106708.b2cf67a024d600cfb0b7e0714be56fc7@t eranews...

In message , at 10:04:28 on Sun, 6 Mar
2005, tim remarked:

When did this policy change? I've not stayed at a Heathrow Hotel (other
than the T4 Hilton) for many years, but they had a free shuttle bus when
did.

If you mean when did they start to charge,

No, when did the hotels stop running their own free buses?

The hoppa started in 1997 (from NE's annual statement for that year).

IIRC it was about 5 years ago. It started out at 2 pounds and
has recently increased to 3.

There was perhaps an interim stage when BAA was charging the hotel buses
for each trip onto the site. Or am I mis-remembering?

I though that BAA have charged for bus access for almost forever.
I think that the incentive was to coordinate the service to make better
use of infrastructure rather than to increase reveue.

tim

The problem is that their perceived "better use of infrastructure" comes
at the cost of travelers. It is particularly inconvenient for folks
staying at the airport for an early transatlantic flight. The service
is far to erratic for folks concerned with excessive security delays.

Old March 8th 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"mookie89" wrote in message
. ..

If the driver has a good attitude and drives appropriately
(not like a race car driver), I will tip the driver £3.
Once I did £5 for a particularly excellent driver.

What constitutes "a particularly excellent driver"?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 9th 05, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"mookie89" wrote in message
. ..

If the driver has a good attitude and drives appropriately
(not like a race car driver), I will tip the driver £3.
Once I did £5 for a particularly excellent driver.

What constitutes "a particularly excellent driver"?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Attentive without being overly so, drives decently and not like a race car
driver, helps with luggage at both ends of the trip, polite, respectful,
takes an interest in his/her profession and passenger, etc., etc.