Old October 17th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Trouble finding a hotel!

Hello, the wife and I are coming to London Nov. 2nd...
I am shocked at the price of hotels there!

It seems like every website I look at has "tourist" written all over it. Is
there a local hotel chain that I could contact or is there a better way find
a hotel in London that is not a rip off?

Also, If we stay in a suburb of London is there bus or tube service into
downtown?

Thanks in advance for the info!

--
Mark W. Shelby
505 Buck Run Road

Old October 17th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark W. Shelby wrote:
Hello, the wife and I are coming to London Nov. 2nd...
I am shocked at the price of hotels there!

The prices vary enormously from one week to another. Depends very much
on what's happening here. Wimbledon fortnight is always expensive, for
example. But I can't immediately think of a reason for early November
being dear. That said, a quick check of the hotels I usually use
suggests that early November is indeed very expensive. Perhaps it's all
these tourists coming to see "Spamalot".

It seems like every website I look at has "tourist" written all over it. Is
there a local hotel chain that I could contact or is there a better way find
a hotel in London that is not a rip off?

Shop around is the usual advice, and with t'Interweb it's easier than it
used to be. I can recommend the Oliver Plaza in Earls Court - cheap and
cheerful, if you're not expecting a luxurious breakfast. Go to
http://www.capricornhotels.co.uk/oliverdefault.asp. Or simply type
"hotels" + "London" into good old Google.

Also, If we stay in a suburb of London is there bus or tube service into
downtown?

Hmm. First define "downtown"! The busy hotel areas are Kings Cross,
Paddington and Earls Court, and they all have lots of buses and lots of
Tube trains to central London. You can walk to many parts of central
London from these places anyway. But you will probably want to buy a day
Travelcard - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tickets/2006/one-day/.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK
=================================

Old October 18th 06, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Early November is dear because of World Travel Market.

Some recommendations...

www.travelodge.co.uk - some great locations in London inc. Covent
Garden
www.thehoxtonhotel.co.uk - a new hotel near Liverpool Street
www.superbreak.co.uk - generally some good deals, but may not be
available for 2 November.

B.
Old October 18th 06, 07:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"ONscotland" wrote in message
ups.com...

Early November is dear because of World Travel Market.

Some recommendations...

www.travelodge.co.uk - some great locations in London inc. Covent
Garden
www.thehoxtonhotel.co.uk - a new hotel near Liverpool Street
www.superbreak.co.uk - generally some good deals, but may not be
available for 2 November.

Also www.laterooms.com

Ian

Old October 18th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thank you all for the info. We thought the difficulty in finding a
reasonably priced hotel might lie in the fact that Nov. 5th is Guy Fawkes
day. Many spots on the internet indicate this is a busy tourist weekend
similar to the American 4th of July.

I am still truly shocked at the price of London Hotels. Here in the states
we have "tourist class" where one could easily spend $100 to $300 dollars
per night, but we also have "business class" hotels where one could expect
to pay $39 to $79 Dollars per night. (roughly 20 pounds to 40 pounds per
night)

Those business class hotels won't usually advertise in the tourist lists,
but they are out there. I just thought that London would have something
equivalent.

Oh well, looks like we might end up paying a good deal more than we hoped
for a hotel!

Old October 18th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark W. Shelby" wrote:

I am still truly shocked at the price of London Hotels. Here in the states
we have "tourist class" where one could easily spend $100 to $300 dollars
per night, but we also have "business class" hotels where one could expect
to pay $39 to $79 Dollars per night. (roughly 20 pounds to 40 pounds per
night)

London is the one of the five most expensive cities. You can get a much cheaper
room if you stay outside London - trains will get you in very quickly. I've
been sent details of this one in London - it has good reviews - but it's £99 a
night for a double.

http://www.base2stay.com

E.

Old October 18th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark W. Shelby wrote:
Thank you all for the info. We thought the difficulty in finding a
reasonably priced hotel might lie in the fact that Nov. 5th is Guy Fawkes
day. Many spots on the internet indicate this is a busy tourist weekend
similar to the American 4th of July.

Not really - it's more of a family/local thing. It isn't a public
holiday.

I am still truly shocked at the price of London Hotels. Here in the states
we have "tourist class" where one could easily spend $100 to $300 dollars
per night, but we also have "business class" hotels where one could expect
to pay $39 to $79 Dollars per night. (roughly 20 pounds to 40 pounds per
night)

Hotels in London, and to a lesser extent the UK in general, are
offensively expensive for what you get.

I know the kind of business hotel you mean - the corporate "suite
hotels" are ridiculously cheap in the US for what you get. I've stayed
in one (Springhill Suites in Addison, TX) and it was superb for the
price.

Neil

Old October 18th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mark W. Shelby
writes

I am still truly shocked at the price of London Hotels.

London hotel prices do tend to be high, but I think you may well find
that most things in London are relatively costly - London is rated as
the 5th most expensive city in the world, well above New York - and with
a cost of living that is some 50% more expensive than Washington DC.

--
Paul Terry
Old October 18th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:40:41 -0400, Mark W. Shelby wrote:

It seems like every website I look at has "tourist" written all over it. Is
there a local hotel chain that I could contact or is there a better way find
a hotel in London that is not a rip off?

I have used http://www.london-discount-hotel.com/ to book a single room at
St. Giles Hotel. at £70 incl. a decent breakfast. Both me and my sister has
stayed there several times, so we must be satisfied.

The Hotel is ideally placed. Two blocks from Tottenham Court Road Station
and the eastern end of Oxford Street. Sainsburys is across the street.
British Museum, Wagamama and Neal Street are five minutes away. There is a
cinema, pubs and a cheap (chain) restaurant close by.

I would, however, welcome suggestions for a cheaper alternative, as long as
the room is clean and have en-suite bathroom and a breakfast that give you
a good start on the day is served. But perhaps that's dificult to find?

--
jhk