Old March 8th 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default A2 Airbus cancelled?

According to a few posters in rec.travel.europe, the A2 Airbus,running
between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station via Shepherd's Bush,
Bayswater, Marble Arch, etc. no longer runs.

Anyone know why (lack of passengers, or?)

Old March 9th 05, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
According to a few posters in rec.travel.europe, the A2
Airbus,running between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station via
Shepherd's Bush, Bayswater, Marble Arch, etc. no longer runs.

Anyone know why (lack of passengers, or?)

According to the BAA site, the A2 ceased operation on 31 December 2004.
However, it ran between Heathrow and Russell Square, not Victoria. The
A1 bus which used to serve Victoria ceased operation many years ago.
There are still services between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station,
but they are the London end of longer-distance coach services, and are
not very frequent. Details at
http://www.nationalexpress.com/desti...hrow/index.cfm

I'm not surprised that National Express withdrew the service. It always
seemed a poor marketing strategy that the only dedicated bus service
between Heathrow and central London not only was fairly infrequent but
was targeted on the hotels in the Russell Square area which also has a
Piccadilly Line tube service to Heathrow every 5 minutes.

So there are now even fewer buses on the M4 bus lane.
--
Richard J.

Old March 10th 05, 06:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:08:43 GMT, "Richard J."

According to a few posters in rec.travel.europe, the A2
Airbus,running between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station via
Shepherd's Bush, Bayswater, Marble Arch, etc. no longer runs.

Anyone know why (lack of passengers, or?)

According to the BAA site, the A2 ceased operation on 31 December 2004.
However, it ran between Heathrow and Russell Square, not Victoria. The
A1 bus which used to serve Victoria ceased operation many years ago.
There are still services between Heathrow and Victoria Coach Station,
but they are the London end of longer-distance coach services, and are
not very frequent. Details at
http://www.nationalexpress.com/desti...hrow/index.cfm

One significant difference is that the A2 did drive round all four
terminals; the current National Express services only seem to stop at
the central bus station. Also I *think* the current National Express
services don't permit you to pay cash fares on board: that's another
level of inconvenience.

I'm not surprised that National Express withdrew the service. It always
seemed a poor marketing strategy that the only dedicated bus service
between Heathrow and central London not only was fairly infrequent but
was targeted on the hotels in the Russell Square area which also has a
Piccadilly Line tube service to Heathrow every 5 minutes.

Agreed - also I suspect the change away from the Airbus branding,
which at least made it look like an ordinary London bus service, even
though travelcards were never accepted, didn't do any good.

Martin

Old March 11th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Rich wrote:

Agreed - also I suspect the change away from the Airbus branding,
which at least made it look like an ordinary London bus service, even
though travelcards were never accepted, didn't do any good.

When did they do that? (I was only ever in London one time, a few days
in
late Sept 2001 and the buses were red and had the word "Airbus" in
yellow
on the side--was this changed?)

Martin

Old March 12th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Rich wrote:

For the last few years they were white and had 'National Express
Airport' written on the side. I think they changed around 2001/2002
so probably very soon after your visit.

That might have had some effect.

Pity, I liked the service....especially for a first-time visitor, as
you could see where you were going and would get a idea of
"the lay of the land", as it were.

Right now, I don't think there is any direct bus service between
Heathrow and Central London (with the exception of Night Bus N9.

Next trip, I guess I'll try the Piccadilly line (but doesn't that run
mostly underground?)