Old March 11th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The restoration of St. John's Woo Station

I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown tiling
that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced with...
Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

Old March 11th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure, LUL are
required to replace/restore like with like.

If it where a non-protected station, then I would have expected the tiling
to have been changed to Jubilee silver though.

oups.com...

Old March 11th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JMUpton2000 wrote [his top-posting corrected here]:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown
tiling that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced
with... Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure,
LUL are required to replace/restore like with like.

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate the
original design (which actually dates from 1939).

[1] Press release http://www.tubelines.com/docs/05_july_04.pdf

If it where a non-protected station, then I would have expected the
tiling to have been changed to Jubilee silver though.

Except that light grey tiles wouldn't provide enough contrast with white
to be an effective design.

--
Richard J.

Old March 12th 05, 01:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"JMUpton2000" security novels @f ree uk.com wrote in message

If it where a non-protected station, then I would have expected
the tiling to have been changed to Jubilee silver though.

Is it really policy to make all platforms on a particular line look the
same? That's astonishing.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old March 12th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:11:30 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

JMUpton2000 wrote [his top-posting corrected here]:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown
tiling that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced
with... Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure,
LUL are required to replace/restore like with like.

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate the
original design (which actually dates from 1939).

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for chrissakes.
--
Delenda est Carthago

Old March 12th 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a station
named after him?
--
Thoss
Old March 12th 05, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

JMUpton2000 wrote [his top-posting corrected here]:
"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that the restoration of St. John's Wood appears to be
proceeding nicely. However, I noticed that the Bakerloo brown
tiling that once lined the platform wall panels is being replaced
with... Bakerloo brown tiling. NOT Jubilee grey tiling.

Is this intentional?

I believe that because SJW station is a listed building/structure,
LUL are required to replace/restore like with like.

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate
the original design (which actually dates from 1939).

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for
chrissakes.

So?
--
Richard J.
Old March 12th 05, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for
chrissakes.

So?

So that's why the fares are so high?

--
John Ray
Old March 12th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

thoss wrote:
So film director John Woo has been anointed a saint and had a station
named after him?

The station predates the film industry.

Old March 12th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:34:09 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Tube Lines[1] say that "thousands of wall tiles will be removed and
replaced with new hand-made tiles to replicate their original 1900s
character", so it sounds as if they are indeed trying to replicate
the original design (which actually dates from 1939).

What an idiotic waste of time and money, it a tube station for
chrissakes.

So?

Given the very finite levels of time & resources for refurbishment of tube
stations.

Wasting it on hand made tiles + the time/expense of fitting them to a
*single* station just beggars belief.

greg

--
Delenda est Carthago

Woo Woo! elyob London Transport 6 March 10th 07 10:02 PM
St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? JMUpton2000 London Transport 190 July 19th 06 02:11 PM
St Johns Wood or St John's Wood? Colin Rosenstiel London Transport 0 June 26th 06 03:01 PM
BBC Restoration - East Finchley Station John Rowland London Transport 2 July 21st 04 01:15 PM
Ping John Rowland and others Ian F. London Transport 3 December 3rd 03 04:22 PM