Old March 24th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default RM Routes

Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)
Also which routes are best to go on on a short sightseeing trip without
going on an open top tour.

Also do any double deck's go over tower bridge?

Regards
Paul

Old March 24th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paullie wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 24 Mar 2005:

Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)

159, I know for certain (Baker Street to the London Eye - a very good
run). Not sure which others are left. 19, I think (goes via Sloane
Square)

Also which routes are best to go on on a short sightseeing trip without
going on an open top tour.

11 is a very good run, from Chelsea right over to the City.

Also do any double deck's go over tower bridge?

Not to my knowledge, but I could be wrong!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old March 24th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Paullie wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 24 Mar 2005:

Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)

159, I know for certain (Baker Street to the London Eye - a very good
run). Not sure which others are left. 19, I think (goes via Sloane
Square)

159 terminates at Marble Arch, doesn't it?
19 is still RM - up the King's Road to Sloane Square, then up Sloane
Street to Knightsbridge and through the west end via Piccadilly and
Tottenham Court Road.
22 is also RM - similar route but terminating at Piccadilly Circus.

Also which routes are best to go on on a short sightseeing trip without
going on an open top tour.

11 is a very good run, from Chelsea right over to the City.

Seconded - catch an 11 between Victoria and Liverpool Street, and you
will see Westminster Abbey, Parliament, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, the
Strand and the Aldwych, the Royal Courts of Justice on Fleet Street and
the Bank of England.

The 9 also gives a pretty nice ride from the Aldwych along the Strand to
Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Cirus, Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge and
along by the park to the Albert Hall and Memorial.

Any bus across the river at Westminster or Waterloo Bridges gives an
excellent view too - or you could break your bus ride at Westminster or
Trafalgar Square and go on down to the river, where the Hungerford
footbridge at Charing Cross (just down from Trafalgar Square) has an
excellent view. Westminster Bridge is great too.

Also do any double deck's go over tower bridge?

Not to my knowledge, but I could be wrong!

42, 78 and RV1; I don't think any of those are double deckers (I know
RV1 isn't, and one of the others definitely isn't but I can't remember
which one!).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old March 24th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:53:54 +0000, Mrs Redboots
wrote:

Paullie wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 24 Mar 2005:

Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)

159, I know for certain (Baker Street to the London Eye - a very good
run). Not sure which others are left. 19, I think (goes via Sloane
Square)

Also which routes are best to go on on a short sightseeing trip without
going on an open top tour.

11 is a very good run, from Chelsea right over to the City.

Also do any double deck's go over tower bridge?

Not to my knowledge, but I could be wrong!

38 is still RM, Victoria to (I think) Leyton.

Dave
Old March 24th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I think the 13 (Golders Green - Aldwych) is still RM.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old March 24th 05, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paullie
writes
Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)

19, 14, 22, 159, 38. Sorry about the odd numerical order there!

Also which routes are best to go on on a short sightseeing trip without
going on an open top tour.

The 11, 9 and 15 give really brilliant sightseeing.

If you want to sightsee and ride on an RM then Piccadilly Circus - Hyde
Park Corner is a good "corridor" on which to concentrate. (Only a
short , pleasant walk across Green Park to Buckingham Palace, for
example.)

Also do any double deck's go over tower bridge?

Other than the tour ones, no. (And regular readers will know that I'm
not a great fan of the standard tour buses anyway.)

Have a good weekend trip!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 24th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
42, 78 and RV1; I don't think any of those are double deckers (I know
RV1 isn't, and one of the others definitely isn't but I can't remember
which one!).

Double deckers do occasionally stray onto the RV1; but it is very
occasionally.

Old March 24th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
I think the 13 (Golders Green - Aldwych) is still RM.

Indeed. Missed that one for some reason!

It seems to have the best kept RMs, too.

Old March 25th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:58:23 +0000 (UTC), "Paullie"
wrote:

Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)

13 Aldwych - Golders Green
14 Tottenham Court Rd - Putney Heath
19 Finsbury Park - Battersea Bridge This is now starting to get new
double decks and the RMs are being removed each day between now and next
Friday when it loses them altogether so move quickly.
22 Piccadilly Circus - Putney Common
38 Victoria - Clapton Pond
159 Streatham - Marble Arch

The 14, 19 and 22 serve Shaftesbury Av, Picc Circus, Piccadilly, Hyde
Park Corner and Knightsbridge. The 19 and 22 go via Sloane Sq and the
Kings Rd.

As it is Boat Race weekend it might be fun to try to get down to Putney
by RM for the last time that this will be possible as both the 14 and 22
lose their RMs in July. You also get a nice ride through Chelsea,
Fulham and Putney. Please note if you go on Sunday only the 14 has RMs
in service on that day; the 22 has one person buses when it is a Sunday
service.

The 159 gets you across Westminster Bridge going past the Houses of
Parliament and the London Eye. It also is the last one running down
Whitehall. This is the last RM route which goes past such famous sites
so it should be something you do if you're keen to combine the RM and
Tourist experiences in one.

The 38 heads off to Islington and Hackney so is perhaps not on
everyone's tourist trail but if you want to see a really busy RM route
this is about the busiest with 50 buses on a working weekday.

The 13 heads up through St Johns Wood and Swiss Cottage and goes past
Baker St, Regents Park, the Mosque, Lords Cricket Ground. It's a
pleasant enough ride and Hampstead Heath is a short bus ride (210, 268)
on from Golders Green terminal.

Also which routes are best to go on on a short sightseeing trip without
going on an open top tour.

Depends what you wish to see! The 9, 11 and 15 are some of the top
routes as they serve the City (not the 9) and West End. The 23 also
parallels the 11 and 15 in part so it's useful too.

The RV1 runs from Covent Garden to Tower Hill via the South Bank so
covers Waterloo Bridge, South Bank, Tate Modern, Southwark (for London
Bridge, Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market), Tower Bridge (for City
Hall, Tower Bridge and the Tower of London).

If you want to do some of the key routes through town I'd almost suggest
something like the following

RV1 Covent Garden - Tower Hill
15 Tower Hill - Trafalgar Square
24 Trafalgar Square - Victoria
38 Victoria - Piccadilly Circus
159 Piccadilly Circus - County Hall / London Eye (south side of
Westminster Bridge)

Near all those are double decks - 2 are RM routes. They avoid Oxford
Street which is a bus jam most of the time.

Please note that there is a lot of engineering work on the Tube over
Easter including no District or Circle through the centre of town.
Therefore Route 15 will be particularly busy - especially from Tower.

Also do any double deck's go over tower bridge?

The three routes that are normal scheduled routes are all normally
single deck. I think the sightseeing buses cross Tower Bridge and they
are double deck and usually open top.

--
Paul C

Old March 25th 05, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 24 Mar 2005:

Mrs Redboots wrote:
Paullie wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 24 Mar 2005:

Hi
Planning a trip to London this weekend, and looking to find out which routes
are still in the hands of the traditional london bus (RM)

159, I know for certain (Baker Street to the London Eye - a very
good
run). Not sure which others are left. 19, I think (goes via Sloane
Square)

159 terminates at Marble Arch, doesn't it?

Oh yes, so it does; it used not to.... but it's still a lovely journey -
and, of course, continues south of Westminster Bridge via the Imperial
War museum, Kennington & Brixton, to Streatham. But the touristy bit
stops after the Imperial War museum (although Brixton Market is
brilliant for tourists, too).
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/
Website updated 20 March 2005

LU Stock Transfer Routes Sharon & Gordon Thomson London Transport 25 July 15th 04 09:58 PM
Local/Express bus routes Sky Fly London Transport 40 April 15th 04 07:05 PM
Bus Routes. Kat London Transport 27 February 13th 04 11:01 AM
Routes K9/K10: Kingston to Epsom Phil Richards London Transport 5 September 20th 03 12:23 PM
Tunnel routes Question [email protected] London Transport 3 August 9th 03 10:09 AM