Old March 25th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dan Dan is offline

Default parking and tube

where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

Old March 25th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dan
writes
where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

Stanmore, at the end of the Jubilee line has a large car park. (You
now need to pay on entry to use it, as well. It costs GBP 2.50 but
it's free on Sundays and *maybe* Bank Holidays.)

Leave the M1 at Junction 4, following the A41 towards Edgware.

At the roundabout turn right onto the A410 (signposted Stanmore) and
follow that round (across another roundabout) until you see Stanmore
Station on the left. The car park is very large but the entrance is
easy to miss, so take care.

I think it's free to park there on Sundays (and Bank Holidays?)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 25th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dan" wrote in message
where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

Stanmore or Edgware are the nearest stations with car parks that are just
a few mins from Jct 4. Leaving by other junctions normally means a long
walk to station or resident parking bays and various restrictions to contend
with.

Old March 25th 05, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Dan
writes
where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

Stanmore, at the end of the Jubilee line has a large car park. (You
now need to pay on entry to use it, as well. It costs GBP 2.50 but
it's free on Sundays and *maybe* Bank Holidays.)

If the trip is at the weekend or bank holiday, watch out for line closures.
Last thing you want is being herded onto a crappy bus for 2 hours.

Parking at public transport stations should be free and readilly available
to encourage PT use.

Old March 25th 05, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Weaver
writes
"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Dan
writes
where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

Stanmore, at the end of the Jubilee line has a large car park. (You
now need to pay on entry to use it, as well. It costs GBP 2.50 but
it's free on Sundays and *maybe* Bank Holidays.)

If the trip is at the weekend or bank holiday, watch out for line closures.

Planned works can be seen in advance at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/planned-works/

Parking at public transport stations should be free and readilly available
to encourage PT use.

Ostensibly I would agree with you. However, many station car parks
*already* get full, even with charging. To make this easier would help
people travelling in from outside London (ie me!) but overall would
probably add to car use and congestion around stations.

Old March 25th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dan wrote:
where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

It's not on the tube, but you could consider using Luton Airport
Parkway, where there's a large car park and frequent Thameslink and
Midland Mainline services to London St. Pancras.

http://www.thameslink.co.uk/plan_you...tml?1068575778
http://www.midlandmainline.com/Displ...p?StationID=20

--
Mark Etherington

Old March 25th 05, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

In message , Dan
writes

where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on the
tube.
I will be coming from the M1

Stanmore, at the end of the Jubilee line has a large car park. (You
now need to pay on entry to use it, as well. It costs GBP 2.50 but
it's free on Sundays and *maybe* Bank Holidays.)

If the trip is at the weekend or bank holiday, watch out for line closures.
Last thing you want is being herded onto a crappy bus for 2 hours.

Parking at public transport stations should be free and readilly available
to encourage PT use.

......for card holders, that is

Otherwise people just end up using them for long term parking

--
Lars Elmvang
Min mailadresse finder du ved kun at skrive det overeksponerede
Old March 26th 05, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:37:45 +0000, Ian Jelf wrote:
Parking at public transport stations should be free and readilly available
to encourage PT use.

Ostensibly I would agree with you. However, many station car parks
*already* get full, even with charging. To make this easier would help
people travelling in from outside London (ie me!) but overall would
probably add to car use and congestion around stations.

In which case there should be more parking facilities. And better access.
Or alternatives like large secure fast reliable park & ride schemes with
easy motorway access
--
Everything I write here is my personal opinion, and should not be taken as fact.

Old March 28th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Etherington wrote:
Dan wrote:

where is the best place to park when going into london for the day on
the tube.
I will be coming from the M1

It's not on the tube, but you could consider using Luton Airport
Parkway, where there's a large car park and frequent Thameslink and
Midland Mainline services to London St. Pancras.

http://www.thameslink.co.uk/plan_you...tml?1068575778
http://www.midlandmainline.com/Displ...p?StationID=20

Stanmore is the obvious choice I use it regularly, but I have been early
into Central London a couple of times recently (weekdays) and back
around 11:00 and the car park has been full, one out, one in.