Old April 6th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strange operations at Edgware Road tonight

I arrived at Edgware Road station (Met) about 21:15 tonight. No sign of a
District Line train. Circle Line trains depart in both directions then a
Wimbledon train is advertised on platform 4. Strange I thought.

A train indeed arrives at platform 4, destination "Circle Line", train
number 217, at about 21:20. Motorman puzzled when told by passengers and
colleague that train is now for Wimbledon. He's off anyway but changes
destination. PA announcement to driver to change destination to Wimbledon
and train number 70. I never did see the train number changed but the
destination was Wimbledon. Meanwhile a train passes through platform 3 for
Hammersmith and another arrives at 21:25 from the West in the same
platform, also number 217, destination "Hammersmith via Shepherd's Bush".
After another PA announcement for a driver at 21:28 it departs westward
and finally my train departs at 21:30 for Wimbledon.

I can't ever remember seeing a Wimbledon train depart Edgware Road from
platform 4. Is this a regular occurrence?

All very comfortable until a load of Chelsea supporters got on at Fulham
Broadway. It was then a bit full to cope with a bike.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 7th 05, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
A train indeed arrives at platform 4, destination "Circle Line", train
number 217, at about 21:20. Motorman puzzled when told by passengers and
colleague that train is now for Wimbledon. He's off anyway but changes
destination. PA announcement to driver to change destination to Wimbledon
and train number 70. I never did see the train number changed but the
destination was Wimbledon. Meanwhile a train passes through platform 3 for
Hammersmith and another arrives at 21:25 from the West in the same
platform, also number 217, destination "Hammersmith via Shepherd's Bush".

It sounds like that train was train 70 until Control decided to swap the
two units. Since the new 217 headed for Hammersmith while the old one
thought it was a Circle, that says to me that the ex-70 had a fault and
they wanted to get it to the depot ASAP.

I can't ever remember seeing a Wimbledon train depart Edgware Road from
platform 4. Is this a regular occurrence?

I doubt it is nowadays, but the District used to provide some of the
Circle trains; at the end of the traffic day an Inner Circle would turn
into a Wimbleware in the way you describe.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: