Old October 20th 09, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Edgware Road and Paddington (was: "Sling him under a train")

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

Personally, I've never encountered any rudeness, attitude problems
or even lack of knowledge from LU staff (and that's with a *lot* of
diverse Tube-riding).

Sadly not always true. I was travelling from Cambridge to St Ives
(Cornwall) earlier in the month. We had a generous time allowed to get
from King's Cross (arr. 11:08) to Paddington (dep. 11:57). The first train
at Kings Cross St Pancras (Circle & Met) was a Circle train. It got to
Edgware Road and then had a long stand at a red signal. We and several
other passengers noticed the platform indicators said "Next train for High
St Kensington Platform 3" and understood that the District train to
Wimbledon on that platform would be first to leave. So we got on it. No
sooner had we sat down than the Circle train on Platform 4 closed its
doors and left. There was no announcement or change of platform or other
indication. I found a member of staff and complained, a bit vociferously I
admit because I was very annoyed at the dirty trick. He refused to speak
to me.

The platform indicators at Edgware Road are really useless. Are they going
to be improved before the Circle is broken in December? A lot more people
will have to change trains there in future.

On our way back home a week later, around 23:30 on a Sunday night, we were
standing on platform 1 at Edgware Road waiting for a train to King's Cross
(having had to carry our bags over the footbridge). It turned out the next
train to the East was on Platform 2 (this seems quite common now, we saw
one there the previous week). No indication on Platform 1; that was still
telling us the next train for High St Kensington was on Platform 3! The
only general indicators available were CCTV pictures of the individual
platform indicators, three of which were saying "Next train for High St
Kensington Platform 3". Grrr!

Also, we got to Paddington in the end on our way West by Hammersmith &
City train. That meant we arrived in the suburban platforms. No indication
on the footbridge which platform our FGW train was leaving from so we
ended up walking the whole width of the footbridge and length of platform
1 to the Lawn (we couldn't use another platform because they are gated
now) to wait for the platform indicator to come up (as platform 1 it
turned out). Normally we would then have had to walk all the way back to
the footbridge and beyond to reach our carriage. On this occasion we did
not have to because the set was the wrong way round, luckily.

--
Colin Rosenstiel