Old April 8th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why can't Oyster show my Jan 2005 transactions?

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:10:16 +0100, Bill Woods
wrote:

I took out an Oyster prepay in January this year and used about £10
or so that month.

How can I get detailed info on my Oystercard transactions for those
January journeys?

I asked Oyster to send me a statment in the post but it doesn't go
much further back then the printout the ticket-office at the station
can give me.

I have been getting stonewalled by Oyster who say "That's as far back
as we can go". So they reckon they can't show me my january
transaction.

See here http://tinyurl.com/6zxg7 for answers to your questions.

Looks like 8 weeks in the maximum, although I think I got more than
that when I checked mine last year...

--
Cheers,

Jason.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old April 8th 05, 09:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bill Woods wrote:
Eight weeks seems far less than a computer could hold.

Maybe TFL decided that after 8 weeks everyone would have had plenty of
opportunity to query and correct any unresolved journeys so there isn't
much point keeping the details on file.

There are a lot of Oyster cards out there and each time it is touched
on a tube / bus / tramlink / dlr / national rail that supports prepay
reader a record is stored. The amount of space used up for millions of
people's transactions is likely to be substantial so it would seem
quite sensibly to destroy after a given time.

Of course if they do store more data than they give out in a statement,
you are quite entitiled to apply for it (data protection act) but they
are allowed to charge

Old April 10th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
The issue is the one that you mention first, that there "isn't much
point" in keeping it.

If I were writting the DPA thingamy that describes what the data
was stored for, "the detection and prevention of fraud" would be
on the list; that might need data stored for more that 8 weeks.

But I have a bee in my bonnet about the oft forgotten third A in
security.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver